Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of any that are somewhat decent? everything seems to be 2.5 or 3.0 but nothing for this 2.75 piping.

AND

would a shop be able to stretch a 2.5 in tip to get over 2.75 piping without it cracking?

links, pictures, prices...all would be appreciated.

·
Snail On Board
4,366 Posts
I've got DCs 5 in tips on my stock exhaust. Very nice. See my exhaust album for pics.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
If you want the slant cut ones...Dan is the man to get them from. If you want to get straight cut tips, Thermal Research and Development makes a nice tip.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know theres a couple good options out there but im really looking to NOT spend $200 on tips.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
You can get the Thermals for $150 shipped...not sure how much Dan charges. 5" tips aren't cheap! That's a lot of metal to go around!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o i know theyre more $$ than most. i can get the jegs 5in tips for $70 shipped/pair, not each.

i just dont know if the 3" tips can be mounted on the 2.75 piping successfully...any thoughts?

·
That guy..
1,282 Posts
Honestly I worked in a exhaust shop for 3 years. Did all the custom exhaust.. Bending, expanding, stretching, ball flares, etc..

Unless the tip is no longer than 5" long, you can add a reducer in there. To go from 2.75 to 3"

If its longer than that you'll have to do some custom tail pipes to be able to use the longer pipes..

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Any good welder should have no problem putting those on

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i mean, of course id like to have it done the "right" way but theyre about 12-13in long...not a small tip by any means. can you not crimp the end of the tip to fit tighter on the pipe?

other than a reducer/custom piping, is there a known way of doing this? i guess they could expand the stock exhaust piping to be closer to 3in right?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
You can easily install a 3" inlet tip on the stock 2.75" piping. On a bone stock exhaust that 12-13" length will be too long with the resonators in.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i just double checked that length...its 10in long. and im sure you can take 1 or 2 inches off the inlet side if need be...so i guess there would just be a little gap in the tip to the exhaust pipe that can be filled with welds? im just trying to picture this being installed

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
The tip can be welded down to the 2.75 stock exhaust. It's not that much of a difference. Have your shop take an inch or two off the inlet and they should be able to weld the gap securely...not that difficult to a good welder!!

·
That guy..
1,282 Posts
The only issue is you don't have that much length to put that lOng of a tip on. It will stick out.

Ive tried to reduce a tip before. Stainless tips don't like to stretch or reduce without tearing. It's not like stainless exhaust pipe or aluminized.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Make sure you get the doublewall tips. The singlewall with rolled ends look rather cheap IMO.
Dan's are doublewall and are the ones I went with.:)

Bob

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those are the same ones i had on my other exhaust. theyre either jegs or a damn good copy. go for it. i paid $100 for the pair...

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think its a great deal too.. im about to order them.. cant really go wrong for the price lol...

·
Registered
528 Posts
That is a good price! But it is only a single wall contruction with a rolled edge.
That's what keeps the price down. I opted for the double wall construction. Yes it's pricer
but more attractive and durable IMO.

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
just check there website and they have an option for the double wall construction. but i have to call for pricing.. but they dont open till anothe 30mins..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts