Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how common is this problem in Australia, and is it limited to any MY?
Currently tossing up between a 5.7 overlander and an SRT

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
98 Posts
Go the SRT and I don’t think the lifter problem is any worse with the 5.7 or 6.4 I really do think allot of it is due to incorrect oil used, maybe not warmed up and flooring it or over extended service intervals not correct high flow oils filters. Any 0w/40 synthetic oil won’t just cut it most of them are made like Castrol are made for the European v8 use penzoil let it warm up before gassing it you should hopefully be right. With regards to how many it happens to in aus it’s the same I think as anywhere else have a look at greys auction it’s pretty common the srt being auctioned the condition notes state engine noise you can bet it’s lifters. I do t know about the current models 2020 or when or if mopar has changed the lifters to any other manufacturers but from what I know there are only 3 in the world but it is ever since the gen 3 hemi motor was brought out i think in 2004

Hope this rant helps but if you like going a little hard the srt is a way better package

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
98 Posts
Forgot to say but I take it your probably looking at 2nd hand check out what sort of warranty you can drum up that should give you piece of mind

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It's a shitty lifter design used in those years, the problem is hit or miss in either engine. Regular oil changes and I personally think keeping it out of 4 cyl. mode helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts