Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a new post with our winter project. The last two years of building up the Jeep has all led up to this point. If you haven’t followed my build you can see it here.

This project started over a year ago. Dozens of phone calls to several vendors and lots and lots of research led me to Dave Weber at Modern Muscle Performance Group. I’ve worked with and bought several things from most all of the vendors in the Hemi community and Dave was the best fit for me. Our goal is a street oriented, driver friendly, powerful machine that can launch hard on the street. We are not interested in any track records. After a lot of discussions, Dave, my dad, and I decided on a 6.1L based stroker with Thitek heads. The actual pistons and pins Dave had in mind didn’t exist at this time other than in his head. We had nothing but time and were in no hurry for the engine so we gave him the go ahead to start things rolling. He worked with Mahle over the next couple months and the pistons came to fruition. Dave also worked with ATI to get me a 17% overdrive damper that was lighter weight than the norm.

It was apparent from the beginning that the limiting factor of the engine would be the Magnuson sitting on top. Initially, the plan was to build a bottom end that could support the Maggie maxed out but as things escalated, as things often do, the Maggie became the weak link. Whipple had a new 2.9L twin screw out that would be a better fit but they didn’t have one for the WK1 engine configuration. Dave talked us into a Whipple and challenged us to make it work. So that’s what we did. We pulled the Maggie off and sold it. Put the Whipple on and redid the fuel system completely for the future goals.

Dave finished up the engine and we received it late in June. We’ve been sitting on the engine waiting for the winter when we can take the Jeep down for a few months. We’ve used that time to fine tune the Jeep and get it as ready as possible for the new power plant. I’ve had a lot of fun driving it and the weather has been unseasonably awesome for the last month so I’ve been taking advantage of that and been enjoying the Jeep. I expect to take a couple months to tear down the engine and build it back up. I want to redo some custom brackets I’ve made and that will be time consuming but so much easier with the engine out of the way. Same with the wiring. The stock wiring harness is going on 10 years old and needs a lot of tlc.

6.1L based iron block
Deck Height 9.232
Bore 4.065
Stoke 3.893
My math puts that at about 404.2 cubes but we’ll call it a 405. 404.2 cubic inches equals 6.624 Liters.

The build up.

The heads.
Thitek 100-2125
2.125” hollow stem intake
1.65” exhaust
Beehive

The delivery.
Had it delivered for a dock pickup. Forklift into the back of the truck and easy ride home.

Unwrapping.

New engine hoists first pick.

Bought some castors for the cradle and now it rolls around like on roller skates.

Waiting for the right time.

The Jeep as she sits right now.

The Whipple.

Less than a month away from starting.

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Stockpiling parts for the project.

The Kooks have been waiting a long time to go on.

Since we’ve had the engine sitting around the garage for a few months we decided to detail it a little. I didn’t like the casting flash on the timing cover and I also wanted to paint the water pump in order to keep it a little cleaner. So we smoothed some things out.

After:

I found an oil filter adapter on ebay and got it for $15 shipped. I bought some new seal and bolts and cleaned it up and painted it as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
LOOKING AWESOME! Subscribed.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Everything looks great Kevin, it will definitely be a street monster when done :D....Excellent Job as Usual. What would the compression ratio of the motor work out to be when all is said and done....I'm assuming that you are going with a 40 MLS gasket?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Finally! I've had to keep my mouth shut for 6 months! Cant wait for you to get this beast in!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sure sounds like it's going to be a great setup. I'm looking at a similar combination myself but with lower compression and demons modified thiteks.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,143 Posts
Looks awesome Kevin!!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You definitely have the right idea imo. Street car that hauls balls. With an occasional track appearance here and there. :)

·
LAUNCH
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here are some of the things I’ve been collecting and working on over the last few months.

New sensors and hardware. With my Jeep being about 10 years old and 75k+ miles on the thing, I decided to just go ahead and get new sensors. If any fail right away, I always have my stock ones as backups.

I have lots and lots of parts waiting to go on this pig.

I’ve tried a few different tensioners and so far I’ve had luck with the Dayco. I changed out the plastic pulley for a Procharger metal pulley with a lip that I got from Demon Performance, thanks to Nate. This will be installed initially and see how it can handle things. If this doesn’t work then I will upgrade to a GT500 with an adapter. I ground off most of the casting and painted this as well.

I have another Procharger metal pulley with a lip that will go in place of the stock idler but it is currently running on the Jeep right now. That one will get transferred over.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Eye to detail..... FML you take everything to the extreme clean. So much inspiration seeing threads like these. IMA go clean something in my shop

1 - 20 of 225 Posts