Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2021 Grand Cherokee SRT and found out after buying it that it was a canadian vehicle so it does not have a warranty. The dealership advertised it was still under warranty, and wanted me to extend the bumper to bumper, I chose not too, then found out later it was not under warranty. So I guess the jokes on me. Can I get a 3rd party warranty or am I stuck in a corner at this point?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dumb questions. How did you find out it was not under warranty? Was it used or new? Finally, I have used Carchex in the past with excellent results. Two things I recommend you find out before you go third party: 1) Always read the fine print and ensure seals and gaskets, high end stuff are part of the coverage. 2) Also, find out how the 3rd party company handles price disagreement between what they say it costs to fix and item and what your dealer/mechanic says it will cost. I have found out that when the two don't meet, the customer ends up paying the difference--on top of any deductibles. Also, I currently have an extended warranty I purchased from Ziegler Auto Group. Great price in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dumb questions. How did you find out it was not under warranty? Was it used or new? Finally, I have used Carchex in the past with excellent results. Two things I recommend you find out before you go third party: 1) Always read the fine print and ensure seals and gaskets, high end stuff are part of the coverage. 2) Also, find out how the 3rd party company handles price disagreement between what they say it costs to fix and item and what your dealer/mechanic says it will cost. I have found out that when the two don't meet, the customer ends up paying the difference--on top of any deductibles. Also, I currently have an extended warranty I purchased from Ziegler Auto Group. Great price in my opinion.
I tried to extend the warranty I thought I had with Chrysler and they checked and said it is a canadian car, the warranty is void. I called several other times to confirm it was not just one agent. So I called the dealership I bought it from, it is an aston martin dealership and told them the situation and they said they never heard of anything like that before and they have always gotten vehicles from canada that still had a warranty in the US. The vehicle is used. I used carfax, it had the green check next to the still under factory warranty column.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, I just learned something new, but again, I never had a Canadian vehicle. Lets us know what you end up doing, Interesting.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
16 Posts
Just curious, but what is the difference between one sold in Canada, & one sold in the USA? except maybe the initial cost. All Grand Cherokee's for the north american market are manufactured at the Jefferson assembly plant in Detroit Michigan. Is this some sort of Loop hole that Fiat Chrysler uses to deny warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I never heard of it until I tried to extend the warranty I was told I had. Chrysler made that rule in the early 2000s, once it is registered in another country the warranty is voided. Unless you have the vehicle for at least 6 months and move across the line. The reasoning behind it was Chrysler was attempting to stop the flow of Canadian vehicles into the U.S where they were being sold for thousands of dollars less and that "resulted in significant losses for the automaker."

"Vehicles are cheaper in Canada in part because of the exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollar, but mostly because vehicles sold in Canada cost less to begin with, Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff said." That was from early 2000s

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, but what is the difference between one sold in Canada, & one sold in the USA? except maybe the initial cost. All Grand Cherokee's for the north american market are manufactured at the Jefferson assembly plant in Detroit Michigan. Is this some sort of Loop hole that Fiat Chrysler uses to deny warranty?
Yes, I never heard of it until I tried to extend the warranty I was told I had. Chrysler made that rule in the early 2000s, once it is registered in another country the warranty is voided. Unless you have the vehicle for at least 6 months and move across the line. The reasoning behind it was Chrysler was attempting to stop the flow of Canadian vehicles into the U.S where they were being sold for thousands of dollars less and that "resulted in significant losses for the automaker."

"Vehicles are cheaper in Canada in part because of the exchange rate between the U.S. and Canadian dollar, but mostly because vehicles sold in Canada cost less to begin with, Chrysler spokesman Dave Elshoff said." That was from early 2000s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts