Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Preliminary information as to how we got here, skip this portion if you're not interested - Currently own a 2014 SRT with 80k miles and while finishing a drive last month it shut off while pulling in my driveway. All electronics were still working, the motor just shut down. So I cut the ignition switch to the off position and waited a few mins. When I turned on my accessories I had two codes - a #5 cyl. misfire and a code for low oil pressure, i cleared the codes and I fired it up and pulled the rest of the way up my driveway 35-40ft and parked it, the codes did not come back. So I left it parked for a few weeks while I ordered a MSD ignition kit and new plugs thinking it just needed a tune up. I purchased the jeep with 56k on the odometer and have never done anything but oil changes. So I installed the new coil packs and plugs. It fired right up, sounded good I let it run (idle) for 15-20min and there were no codes. I took it down the street and it was running perfectly! I got it up to about 55-60mph and I felt a horrible thud, my dash lit up like a christmas tree and immediately I could hear what I believed to be a thrown rod. I pulled off the road and confirmed my nightmare there was a loud knocking in the block. I shut it down and had it towed to my house. I have no warranty whatsoever. I know 馃槼, an absolute gamble I severely lost. We are now up to date on the jeep.

Weighing my options on replacement short blocks, fully replacing the motor or stroking the stock block... after looking into tons of options I have decided to go with a fully forged stroker kit. I want to keep the jeep naturally aspirated, I'd really like to keep it what it is at heart as opposed to building it to try and make it like a hawk. I have purchased a 454 stroker kit for the jeep, im currently waiting on all the goodies to arrive at the shop.

I have looked and I cannot find much info from anyone who has stroked thier 392 with the intention of keeping it N/A. There are a good bit of 426's and some 440's and other oddball builds.

Anyone in here have a stroked 392? If so what are your thoughts and feedback on your setup? Are you pleased with the investment? Do you have anything you would've done a bit differently??

I'm fairly certain I'm clinically depressed without my jeep, I miss it dearly. Someone tell me about your cool build and let me see your pics!!!

Thanks all!!

Registered
Yeah, MDS System is the weak link in these Engines. If I were sticking with NA I would have done the 426 stroker. I鈥檇 recommend MMX or BES Racing 426 Stroker short or long block and then decide on who you want to build it from that point. Just do your research!

Registered
2014 SRT
saw something awhile back where the guy bought a complete 6.4 hemi from a wrecked SRT, then put the extra cash into an MDS delete complete package....all the power, none of the bullshit. I'm not a mechanic so no clue but he had a video of it running solidly with a nice growl

Registered
OP mentioned MSD not MDS (though I share the resentment of MDS).
I personally like the idea of a NA build.
Going with boost means your drivetrain may need some attention as well so keep that in mind.
You may want to look into similar work done on another vehicle (e.g. Charger), I know I saw a 426 build on youtube and he gave insight on how satisfied he was with his decision as opposed to getting a hellcat.

Registered
- Preliminary information as to how we got here, skip this portion if you're not interested - Currently own a 2014 SRT with 80k miles and while finishing a drive last month it shut off while pulling in my driveway. All electronics were still working, the motor just shut down. So I cut the ignition switch to the off position and waited a few mins. When I turned on my accessories I had two codes - a #5 cyl. misfire and a code for low oil pressure, i cleared the codes and I fired it up and pulled the rest of the way up my driveway 35-40ft and parked it, the codes did not come back. So I left it parked for a few weeks while I ordered a MSD ignition kit and new plugs thinking it just needed a tune up. I purchased the jeep with 56k on the odometer and have never done anything but oil changes. So I installed the new coil packs and plugs. It fired right up, sounded good I let it run (idle) for 15-20min and there were no codes. I took it down the street and it was running perfectly! I got it up to about 55-60mph and I felt a horrible thud, my dash lit up like a christmas tree and immediately I could hear what I believed to be a thrown rod. I pulled off the road and confirmed my nightmare there was a loud knocking in the block. I shut it down and had it towed to my house. I have no warranty whatsoever. I know 馃槼, an absolute gamble I severely lost. We are now up to date on the jeep.

Weighing my options on replacement short blocks, fully replacing the motor or stroking the stock block... after looking into tons of options I have decided to go with a fully forged stroker kit. I want to keep the jeep naturally aspirated, I'd really like to keep it what it is at heart as opposed to building it to try and make it like a hawk. I have purchased a 454 stroker kit for the jeep, im currently waiting on all the goodies to arrive at the shop.

I have looked and I cannot find much info from anyone who has stroked thier 392 with the intention of keeping it N/A. There are a good bit of 426's and some 440's and other oddball builds.

Anyone in here have a stroked 392? If so what are your thoughts and feedback on your setup? Are you pleased with the investment? Do you have anything you would've done a bit differently??

I'm fairly certain I'm clinically depressed without my jeep, I miss it dearly. Someone tell me about your cool build and let me see your pics!!!

Thanks all!!
Unless you鈥檙e willing to spend about $50k, simply rebuild the 392 to stock standards and enjoy another 80k of mileage. Scrap the stroker idea. You could install non-MDS Lifters and disable the MDS System. Way less Stressful!!
I built 2014 Jeep SRT with a BES Stroker engine, ported & polished heads, ProCharger, transmission, torque converter, transfer, Aluminum driveshaft Font & Rear, triple pump fuel system, snow methanol system. But I also replace ALL internal rotational components, to include water pump & oil pump with new ones. It was Very expensive, but worth it. I currently have right at 100k miles on the build and never had any problems鈥 knock on wood!
So, if you have the money to do it right, it would be very enjoyable. If not, stay stock and enjoy your jeep.

Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
To keep the current short block you would think the cylinder bore is going to have to be machined out to 426 or maybe more so once you鈥檝e stripped it down access the damage to crank and bore and decide from there still have to come out ahead of buying an new block or 2nd hand

1 - 7 of 7 Posts