Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone use 285 tires on these cars? I know you take a hit in grip, but its awd and I dont drive like a maniac anyways. I'm thinking skinnier tires and lighter brakes will definitely improve MPG.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
If you bought an SRTGC thinking it would have ok gas mileage sorely mistaken.. Changing Tires is not going to help you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On my 07 switching to 275/315 from 245/275 I've noticed a drop in MPG and 0-60. YMVV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 07 switching to 275/315 from 245/275 I've noticed a drop in MPG and 0-60. YMVV
Yea for sure, not only way more grip in your new setup also more weight in wider tires and im assuming you got wider wheels too, maybe even bigger diameter wheel?

I upgraded my viper's solid 1 piece rotor to 2 piece. Dropped 10lbs per corner and improved my mpg by almost 1mpg. Not kidding. I saw what it did and I was driving a little more aggressive in 95F+ temps.

My combo for the SRT is going to be 285 tires and 2-piece rotors all around.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stock wheels but yeah, newer tires are definitely heavier! I expected it but I got the wider tires for better turning/handling for track day. On the other hand, my winter setup is the opposite. If I ever went to the strip, I’d put those on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had snowtires that were 275's in the past mounted on thinner lite rims before, I sold them in a move since. I noticed no difference in economy. Ironically I may buy snows in 265 or 275 again this September. The absolute only time I notice better economy was way back when i lived at higher altitude planes (wyoming) at around 5000-6000 ft. I assume it was the less power (less air,so less fuel and less output = a bit more economy, especially highway as less power at a given rpm).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone use 285 tires on these cars? I know you take a hit in grip, but its awd and I dont drive like a maniac anyways. I'm thinking skinnier tires and lighter brakes will definitely improve MPG.
It will definitely improve mileage. Probably not enough to be measurable, but it will improve. Question is: will replacing the brakes with lesser units save you enough in improved mileage to pay for the swap? Almost certainly it will not.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
98 Posts
Just be done with it and buy shares in your favorite brand of fuel, your patronage will be more measurable to there bottom line

1 - 9 of 9 Posts