Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this OK 265/45R20 / 295/40R20 combo to install? Don't want to go lower to 275/40R20 / 315/35R20

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm finished up for my daily driver with Atturo AZ800 255/45R20 and 295/40R20.

The price was unbelievable low, like $450 for the set of 4 shipped. DOT 2019. Plus I got $150 cash back from my new credit card offer ( spent $500 for the first 3 month of opening an account and get $150 cash back). So the total is $300. Slick deal?

Reactions: madcoder and Jfra

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but why wouldn't you do it?
I've been contemplating new tires, and the combo of 265/295 seems better suited (IMO) than the 275/315 that I've seen commonly used here.
(Although, perhaps the "commonly used here" is answer enough)
I just thought your answer seemed definitive and wondered why?

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but why wouldn't you do it?
I've been contemplating new tires, and the combo of 265/295 seems better suited (IMO) than the 275/315 that I've seen commonly used here.
(Although, perhaps the "commonly used here" is answer enough)
I just thought your answer seemed definitive and wondered why?
Because of the transfer case. It is within the 3% supposed range that it is safe to be off but when I ran this tire combo my transfer case would not be happy at higher speeds and would give traction control light for no reason. 275/315 combo is exactly the same circumference so both wheels will travel at the same rpm’s. One way I back checked was I made a mark in the same spot on the front and back tire. Made a couple revolutions and the lines weren’t even anymore so I switched to the harder to find 275/315 combo and never had a problem since. That’s my .02 and experience but others will tell you it is fine to go outside exact as long as it is within 3%. I prefer not to chance smoking my transfer case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your response Jfra. I appreciate it.

Everything you said makes sense, and I believe you. Especially since you actually ran that combo.
I am surprised that you and your TC noticed the difference.
By the numbers...
Stock:
Front: 255/45 - dia: 29.04 & 716.37 revs/mile
Rear: 285/40 - dia: 28.98 & 717.83 revs/mile = difference of .002%
Common setup here:
Front: 275/40 - dia: 28.66 & 725.71 revs/mile
Rear: 315/35 - dia: 28.68 & 725.22 revs/mile = difference of .0007%
Alternate setup:
Front: 265/45 - dia: 29.39 & 707.73 revs/mile
Rear: 295/40 - dia: 29.29 & 710.11 revs/mile = difference of .003%

You'll get no argument from me. The detail provided is only because I'm anal and like numbers/stats.
It seems like the Common choice is even better than Stock. But the Alternate isn't a huge departure from Stock.
In fact, the Alternate is closer to Stock. Is the Common choice a case of "we know better than the factory"?
In the past, when changing out wheels and tires, I've always opted for slightly larger vs. smaller diameters.
I guess for no other reason than "perceived" gas mileage.
I wonder why people started using the Common choice? Did they truly "know better"? Or was it really about getting a 300+ tire in the rear and then a 275 up front to match?
This is pretty interesting (in a first world problems kind of way). Frankly, I'd give your experience more weight than my "Looks good on paper" position.
Either way, I'm really not interested in stressing the transfer case.

Thanks again for responding to this old thread/topic.
David

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Thanks for your response Jfra. I appreciate it.

Everything you said makes sense, and I believe you. Especially since you actually ran that combo.
I am surprised that you and your TC noticed the difference.
By the numbers...
Stock:
Front: 255/45 - dia: 29.04 & 716.37 revs/mile
Rear: 285/40 - dia: 28.98 & 717.83 revs/mile = difference of .002%
Common setup here:
Front: 275/40 - dia: 28.66 & 725.71 revs/mile
Rear: 315/35 - dia: 28.68 & 725.22 revs/mile = difference of .0007%
Alternate setup:
Front: 265/45 - dia: 29.39 & 707.73 revs/mile
Rear: 295/40 - dia: 29.29 & 710.11 revs/mile = difference of .003%

You'll get no argument from me. The detail provided is only because I'm anal and like numbers/stats.
It seems like the Common choice is even better than Stock. But the Alternate isn't a huge departure from Stock.
In fact, the Alternate is closer to Stock. Is the Common choice a case of "we know better than the factory"?
In the past, when changing out wheels and tires, I've always opted for slightly larger vs. smaller diameters.
I guess for no other reason than "perceived" gas mileage.
I wonder why people started using the Common choice? Did they truly "know better"? Or was it really about getting a 300+ tire in the rear and then a 275 up front to match?
This is pretty interesting (in a first world problems kind of way). Frankly, I'd give your experience more weight than my "Looks good on paper" position.
Either way, I'm really not interested in stressing the transfer case.

Thanks again for responding to this old thread/topic.
David
You got it! Also not all tires are created equally and thus are not always the sizes they state so it could also be true that a “cheaper” tire brand may have more issues than a more expensive one. Either way I like to keep things as close as exact as possible to negate any serious issues down the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts