Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
You guys are overly sensitive. With the factory exhaust, MDS is hardly noticeable unless you are looking for it. I have a full aftermarket exhaust and still use MDS and it is WAY more noticeable, especially above 75 MPH. I'd rather keep the fuel savings and sacrifice a hint of comfort.. just turn up the radio. To each his own I guess LOL.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You guys are overly sensitive. With the factory exhaust, MDS is hardly noticeable unless you are looking for it. I have a full aftermarket exhaust and still use MDS and it is WAY more noticeable, especially above 75 MPH. I'd rather keep the fuel savings and sacrifice a hint of comfort.. just turn up the radio. To each his own I guess LOL.
Agreed, the MDS noise is a non-factor for me as well. And besides, I happen to enjoy every one of the burps, growls, farts, groans and barks that come out my SRT exhaust, regardless of their origin. But I can see how the MDS drone could affect people differently, or perhaps be undesirable when trying to impress certain passengers (like my parents) by pretending the SRT has the same "luxury" persona as the Summit.

What I do find interesting is the gulf between the reported and/or perceived ECO fuel savings experienced by different owners. My observation has been that I save noticeable fuel when I drive conservatively or at a steady cruising speed. I also find this challenging to maintain for extended periods, because as soon as some street clown even hints at wanting to test me, it's inevitably game on...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Of course every vehicle and driver is different concerning fuel savings and drone. In my case I have found fuel savings using the ECO mode is very little compared to driving conservatively. Also the awareness and bothersome of drone veryies from driver to driver and car to car. Is the drone/vibration a major factor in the pleasure of driving the Jeep, of course not. Is it a minor blip in this experience of STR-ness,for me,yes. It would nice if I could disable it and it was "blip-less". Until then I'll enjoy the experience and move on to more earth shattering problems like global warming,world stavation,nuclear perforation and the Trumptrain.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So the new SRT's have a dash indicator when the MDS is on? Does my '14 have some sort of indicator? I don't recall seeing that anywhere?

I drive highway 80%+ of the time so i am usually in Auto & ECO mode. The drone can be a little annoying, but I quickly forget about it. I tend to only notice it when it actually switches from 8 to 4cyl.

I can get 18-19MPG in the summer, sometimes close to 20, if I'm taking it easy and using Auto/ECO as much as possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you not want to just shift into S to prevent it. I would think it would be more responsive but does your gas mileage suffer too much?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you not want to just shift into S to prevent it. I would think it would be more responsive but does your gas mileage suffer too much?
Sport mode will hold gears longer for sure, so it is definitely an issue if you use it in the city.

If I want to keep out of MDS, I just hit the paddle to keep it in 8th gear. Could be potentially dangerous doing that though since if you forget about it, you will be locked into 8th unless you slow down big time.

I feel like MDS is a big deal. Even a 10% savings can be pretty big year after year. I can get about 21-22 MPG on the highway at 75~ MPH.

Reactions: BondoJohn

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ok so.. here i come , i apoligize if this has nothing todo w the op's orig Q but it's gotta do w the same issue's sort o ina newbie sens..

I have a 13' w the knobb , auto , sport , track 90% im in track if that makes a diff in ans to my Q's

So what is this Mds that you guy's speak of ?

^ do i wanna disable? Can i disable?
I'm not interested in mpg , im an agressive driver lets call it!

My dash above the digital speedo show's "ECO" alot even when im beeting the crap out've her like every chance it get's like soon as i let off the gas its on and when i jump back on its like the beast has gone into slugg mode and has to overwork when i hit gass to get me back to where i want it tobe!

Then i guess if cause i gotta an old dawg , can i just simply disable this ECO bs as i have no interest in it , it actually quite annnoying!

I just bout a corsa full system which should be here shortly if that help w any of this stuff !

Thanks..

NEIL

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok so.. here i come , i apoligize if this has nothing todo w the op's orig Q but it's gotta do w the same issue's sort o ina newbie sens..

I have a 13' w the knobb , auto , sport , track 90% im in track if that makes a diff in ans to my Q's

So what is this Mds that you guy's speak of ?

^ do i wanna disable? Can i disable?
I'm not interested in mpg , im an agressive driver lets call it!

My dash above the digital speedo show's "ECO" alot even when im beeting the crap out've her like every chance it get's like soon as i let off the gas its on and when i jump back on its like the beast has gone into slugg mode and has to overwork when i hit gass to get me back to where i want it tobe!

Then i guess if cause i gotta an old dawg , can i just simply disable this ECO bs as i have no interest in it , it actually quite annnoying!

I just bout a corsa full system which should be here shortly if that help w any of this stuff !

Thanks..

NEIL
Check your manual. Not sure how different the '13 is but I'll take a stab at it.

In my '13 Charger I had, ECO would illuminate on the dash if the throttle was say, 15% or less. Even when MDS was off, ECO could illuminate (again, throttle dependent, not MDS dependent). But MDS would not be on if ECO was not on.

If you are running in sport or track mode, even if ECO shows up, MDS should never kick on. You can obviously tell the difference on the highway. Set cruise on a flat road to about 60 MPH without track/sport, etc. Only AUTO mode. Easy into the throttle... you should hear an obvious change in the exhaust note to a weird sound (since it's 4 cyl), then it will bark a little bit as it goes back to 8 cylinders. MDS can activate in city driving too if in auto mode.

I never really have noticed it causing a problem. If you hammer the gas, MDS is deactivated by the time your transmission shifts anyway. It will only ever briefly hesitate if you give it just enough throttle to stay in gear, but it needs all 8 cylinders to accelerate to desirable levels.

Reactions: Michelangelo

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the Cherokee's MDS is anything like what is on my Ram 1500 then the only way I knew how to permanently disable MDS/cylinder mode/ECO mode was thru the use of a tuner. In my case, I went with Diablo. Now I don't get annoyed with the "dieseling" experience and heightened NVH anymore. "ECO" indicator still displays on the console but that doesn't bother me. As far as MPG goes, I get around 16 combined and have achieved 20 on long hauls. I hope this helps. One last note, I think that Chrysler's implementation of MDS is a huge failure. My 2009 Chevy Avalanche had their version of MDS and it was a truly seamless experience switching between modes. It sounds like they are still struggling to perfect this feature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Turning off MDS

If the Cherokee's MDS is anything like what is on my Ram 1500 then the only way I knew how to permanently disable MDS/cylinder mode/ECO mode was thru the use of a tuner. In my case, I went with Diablo. Now I don't get annoyed with the "dieseling" experience and heightened NVH anymore. "ECO" indicator still displays on the console but that doesn't bother me. As far as MPG goes, I get around 16 combined and have achieved 20 on long hauls. I hope this helps. One last note, I think that Chrysler's implementation of MDS is a huge failure. My 2009 Chevy Avalanche had their version of MDS and it was a truly seamless experience switching between modes. It sounds like they are still struggling to perfect this feature.
I agree. I have MDS on my corvette and its seamless also. The louder exhaust is totally turned off by valves when it goes into 4cyl mode to prevent this 4cyl drone. But I also agree on the Jeep you can feel the transition into and out of MDS. BTW could you give me model no. of the Dioblo tuner to turn off MDS. thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have a solution for all our ECO problems.
Step:1 Drill a 1/4" hole through the ECO button.
Step:2 Insert a fire cracker into the hole. Step:3 Light fire cracker
Step:4 Stick fingers in your ears watch ECO button get blown to hell!!
Stept:5 Even though this may not fixed the problem. You'll be able "empathizes" with that little SOB=ECO?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have a 2017, and I don’t think I have the 4 CYLINDER dummy light in my dash. Can someone take a picture of it? My dash is so busy, I only pay attention to the mph and revs...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes on the 15 and below just shift into S and you turn off MSD. 16s Hitting custom button alone will work only if transmission is pre programmed for sport or track.
So I can put my 12 into sport mode and the eco boost is eliminated?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts