Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started new post because this only pertained to 2016s
Owner Manual states:
Increased engine exhaust noise and/or vibration may be noticed while ECO is active. THIS is normal and a result of the increased amount of operating conditions where the vehicle is allowed to operate in four cylinder shutoff mode.
• Changing the Drive Mode will deactivate ECO.
• ECO will be disabled when another Drive Mode is selected or ECO button. End of Statement in Manual.
As stated above I have increased noise/vibration in MDS. (Very annoying).This defect in engineering doesn't happen in other MDS vehicles specially $70,000 high tech sport suv's. And Active noise cancellation doesn't help. Now don't get me wrong. I think my SRT is a great fantastic vehicle and I love driving it. But I'm just trying to eliminate this iritating problem. After a lot of extensive testing the Only way I can disable MDS is by selecting track or sport In Trans selector mode switchs on dash (upper photo). But when this is done the Trans seem to hang on lower gears too long befor shifting. Any and all other selections(even track) does not disable 4 cylinder mode. This means every time I want to disable MDS I must Press the Custom button on Select-Track Switch (lower photo),to activate custom mode program. Or rotate knob on console to track or sport resulting stiffening suspension and other
undesirable changes. I don't think MDS lowers Miladge hardly at all,
I know this can be very confusing. I hope I made myself as clear as posible in trying to describe and understand what I'm trying to accomplished.
Has anyone tried another way to disable MDS all the time. IF NOT MY ONLY Alternative is to use a tuner like DIABLOSPORT TUNER that might or might Not Disable this.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting, my 2014 I have to use the sport or track mode nob for it to not turn on. So on yours you have to use both the nob and the custom button? If you just hit custom will it turn it off?

I have a feeling due to the laws governing advertising of MPG there will be no way to default to an MDS-OFF mode on startup. It saves about 2mpg on highway I have noticed. I like sport most of the time so I suppose I waste gas but am interested to hear from the 16 owners too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on the 15 and below just shift into S and you turn off MSD. 16s Hitting custom button alone will work only if transmission is pre programmed for sport or track.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
According to my EVIC, I save 2-3 mpg as well when using it.

For my 2014, I usually drive in auto mode and yank back on the stick for sport shifting. Best of both worlds; Smooth ride and snappier shifts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Corection: like the 2015s I can also disable 4 cyl mode by selecting sport or track on selection rotery knobe on Console. But this will cause other changes not wanted such as suspension stiffening. Previously I made correction to original post.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So could you just program everything for street then just the transmission for sport in custom mode and would that turn off MDS? I think either way it will involve at least hitting a button rather then start up default.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Come on guys. Someone must have some ideas as to disableing 4 cly mode on new SRTs. Even posible tuners????

·
Registered
217 Posts
Come on guys. Someone must have some ideas as to disableing 4 cly mode on new SRTs. Even posible tuners????
I just crested 3,000 km in my '16 and to date, the only time I've experienced 4 Cyl mode is when I have pressed the ECO button on the lower centre dash. Once my ECO button is pressed and blue lit, it will always remain engaged in Auto mode until I press the button again to deactivate it. On engine kill and restart, it remains activated by default. Even after switching driving modes via the wheel selector knob -- for example I switch to Sport mode and the ECO button deactivates by default (but can be manually reactivated even in Sport) -- when you return to Auto, the ECO button will re-light. Perhaps you can experiment with the ECO button to see if it's a factor for you?

Dissimilar to your experience, I definitely notice fuel savings in 4 Cyl mode. And as for the noise, a coworker just took their brand new '16 Chevy Silverado Z71 on its maiden highway voyage this past weekend, and he noticed a pronounced increase in noise when it shifted into 4 Cyl mode. Though he said the noise wasn't intolerable, I think a change in engine/exhaust pitch is inevitable when a big V8 kicks down to a V4.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bondo, further to my other post, I just read the 2013 article linked below, and this stood out:
'Each time the system activates, the same four cylinders are shut off. To keep the driver informed when the system is operating, an “Eco Lamp” is illuminated on the cluster.'

From that logic, one would assume by deactivating the "Eco lamp" in our '16s, we'd be disengaging the 4 Cyl function. Let me know your findings.

Fuel Saver Technology minimizes consumption, but does not hinder performance. : driveSRT News

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very strange how yours is different. It doesn't matter weather or not the Echo button stays on or not. My vehicle operates in the four-cylinder mode every time the engine/speed levels off. I can be going 25 mph and still see the 4 cylinder indicator light up on my display. It turns off when I accelerate and on when I'm at constant speed. Sometimes the drone isn't noticeable,other time it's annoying. I'm guessing if I engage the echo button I will see the 4cyl mode even more but have not noticed much difference. On my Corvette when it goes into the four-cylinder mode the muffler valves close eliminating any noise or vibration.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Strange indeed. I wish my 4 Cyl would activate at low speed without having to activate my Eco button, because I find the driving manners with it on are undesirable. So I'm basically sacrificing some pleasure in attempt to save a few shekels. Maybe we should trade whips...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya. I know when Eco is on the car starts out in second gear. Other things that happen in the Echo mode to save gas like fuel mixture, transmission shifting, suspension, rolling tension,all effect the driving experience that my not be desirable to some people.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So could you just program everything for street then just the transmission for sport in custom mode and would that turn off MDS? I think either way it will involve at least hitting a button rather then start up default.
Yes. Hit the custom button with this programming and MDS Is turned off. Or on 15s shift to S. I think shifting to S is easyer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting article. On my SRT the screen showing mpg ,trip settings and other information displays "4 CYL" on the bottom of screen letting me know when in this mode. I guess in 2013 the ECO light did the same thing. In my 16 weather or not the ECO button is engaged the engine still goes into 4cyl mode. It may be when ECO is pressed on the 16s it enters into a "more" fuel savings operation. What we need is "Tron" to transport himself into the electronics to determine what really is going on!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bondo, further to my other post, I just read the 2013 article linked below, and this stood out:
'Each time the system activates, the same four cylinders are shut off. To keep the driver informed when the system is operating, an “Eco Lamp” is illuminated on the cluster.'

From that logic, one would assume by deactivating the "Eco lamp" in our '16s, we'd be disengaging the 4 Cyl function. Let me know your findings.

Fuel Saver Technology minimizes consumption, but does not hinder performance. : driveSRT News
Very interesting article. On my SRT the screen showing mpg ,trip settings and other information displays "4 CYL" on the bottom of screen letting me know when in this mode. I guess in 2013 the ECO light did the same thing. In my 16 weather or not the ECO button is engaged the engine still goes into 4cyl mode. It may be when ECO is pressed on the 16s it enters into a "more" fuel savings operation. What we need is "Tron" to transport himself into the electronics to determine what really is going on!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Okay, so from the time I got my '16 I have been on a mission to figure out how to achieve 4 CYL mode 'on command' due to the amount of driving I do for business, and to date, my observation has been that it only displays on my trip computer screen when the ECO button is lit. That said, I will be paying closer attention now based on the feedback I'm getting from your experience. Opposite of me, I know you're eager to find a solution for avoiding 4 CYL altogether, so if I discover anything, I'll pass it on. Don't give up -- the answer is likely obvious and right under our noses...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just watch when "4Cyl" comes on on dash. It's on alllllll the time. Good luck keep me posted. As I said earlier. "CASE FOR TRON"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts