Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at my wits end.

When I hard turn my 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (85,000kms on clock) hard left or right, going forward or reverse at a slow speed (20km) in all modes I have a grinding noise.
It seams as though there is something that grabs and releases and feels like it is coming from the rear.

I have had the front CVs replaced.
Rear Bushes
Wheel Alignment

The below parts were fitted for testing but removed as have not remedied the issue.
Tailshaft replaced with a brand new genuine unit
Transfer Case motor replaced
Rear Differential Motor replaced with a brand new genuine unit
Drivetrain Control Module replaced with a brand new genuine unit
Harmonic Balancer replaced with a brand new genuine unit
New Tyres and Rims

· Registered
35 Posts
So no grinding when going straight, or cornering at higher speeds? And there are no visible wear marks anywhere?

Locating sounds may be vey difficult, so you may have to look at the front end after all... Check all suspension, gearbox/tranfercase and subframe bushings. Hard turns will put extra load on front geometry even at low speeds, and that may cause parts to chafe. It is also possible that if front driveline is being shifted due to steering loads, the driveshaft alignment will change causing it to grind in the rear end of it.

· Registered
125 Posts
This is a FWIW: I had a 2012 Overland that suffered this same problem, man was it embarrassing to drive anywhere slowly(picking kids up from school, etc), after a week i had the shits of it, I pulled all the wheels, disassembled the brakes, cleaned and relubed everything, and "adjusted" the splash shields slightly. Problem solved. Previously it was at the dealer for this same issue u der warranty. They replaced all the wheel bearings, the drive shaft, the axles, and front brake PADS, and it only lasted maybe 3 days and sound returned. If you have the experience, its a cheap thing to check out. I know the SRT Jeeps were plagued for awhile with groaning brakes, this was not my issue with the 2012, it straight up grinded.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello. We had a similar issue on our 2006 (WK) so you could try this; remove, clean and re-adjust the rear parking brake shoes. I'll bet there's a ton of rust in there and that can really cause some strange issues. Also, I would agree with MoparJim79 and make sure there's a clearance between everything and the splash shields.

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm at my wits end.

When I hard turn my 2015 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (85,000kms on clock) hard left or right, going forward or reverse at a slow speed (20km) in all modes I have a grinding noise.
It seams as though there is something that grabs and releases and feels like it is coming from the rear.

Rear Bushes
Wheel Alignment

The below parts were fitted for testing but removed as have not remedied the issue.
New Tyres and Rims
I’m a huge fan of having the dealership mechanics diagnose and make the necessary repairs. They’re mostly trained on Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge products. It may take some time, but they’ll figure it out. As soon as you drive away and notice the same problem, call them and make arrangements to take it back. Having said that… at slow speeds, when turning in either direction, there are differences in speeds of outer wheels vs inner wheels. Those differences are absorb in the differentials, front & rear. The difference in speed between the front wheel and rear wheels are also absorb by the transfer. Can it be something else? Maybe, but that would be my starting points. Good luck!

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm at my wits end.

Rear Bushes
Wheel Alignment

New Tyres and Rims
Could it be your rear brake calipers? It sounds like the inside shoe could be stuck/grinding

· Registered
2014 white Jeep srt
7 Posts
This is happening in my 2014 srt. From a dead stop if I turn the wheel past 90° left or right it takes more throttle to accelerate and it feels like the rear end is shifting/clunking. Had the transfer case replaced 2 weeks ago, I just installed a new tccm, and my driveshaft is newer, maybe a year old. Service 4x4 light is on then it’ll go off but still acting the same way.

· Registered
183 Posts
Please dont start throwing more parts at this. If its on someone else's dime, by all means, otherwise, you need to find yourself another dealer tech to approach this.....
Yea never good to throw away money on parts if it's not proven to be the fix for the issue, it is however frustrating when you feel you have tried everything within your knowledge to remedy the issue.

But the reality is you will still end up spending money when asking a new shop to diagnose but at least you have a better chance than buying a part and finding out it did not fix the issue.

· Registered
4 Posts
I had this same issue on my ‘15 SRT and was told it was the rear differential. I had them replace the fluid and add the thickening (?) additive. Didn’t work at first but then all issues went away when the weather started cooling. No idea if correlated, just happy to not pay $5500 for a rear diff swap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts