Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had local shop change tc and front/rear diffs and used amsoil. I’ve always been a fan of it for other things so had no problem using it for this. I’m at 30k miles and they said my rear diff was a little dirty so good idea to change.

As far as the clunk, I don’t get it on acceleration I get it more when letting off gas and coasting while slowing down. A Jeep tech took it for a ride and of course “couldn’t replicate the issue.”

·
Registered
5 Posts
2017 jeep srt
Same thump sound on acceleration from a stop. So far the dealer replaced the rear dif and torqued all the bolts. No effect. HELP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a mysterious clunking when accelerating for awhile that has become progressively worse with time. Mine is a 2012 with 40k. Shop after shop cant seem to find it. After the hundredth time on the lift I pulled back the exhaust shielding and found this gem. Trying to locate a more affordable way to fix this so if anyone knows that would be great, but in the mean time maybe look at your carrier bearings and it might help.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Turtle 🐢On Mah 12 it was the carrier bearing , was very loose and had a lotta play! ThatMs why it’d happen from a dig at any throttle below 52% any thing over that would create enuff force and tq to jeep it tight.,while she spun up and once she started spinning all was fine no clunk cause momentum just take’s over snd braces the D’shaft so was only apparent at low speed low to mid throttle take off’s..

Rudy , A lot of people esp w newer Jeep’s w this issue have solved it by changing the Tc and Diff Fluid. Just a guess here but fluid Viscosity prolly breaksdown w wear and creates the Clunk.. Do et See of it Fix’s and helps Def can’t Hurt .. It’s Faaacaking Frustrating Af i know , i just started telling my friends and even my parents one time lmaoo “Ohh Don’t worry just Slack in Driveline” my Dad looked at me and was like Meh My Lexxuss would Nvr do that lol

Neil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turtle 🐢On Mah 12 it was the carrier bearing , was very loose and had a lotta play! ThatMs why it’d happen from a dig at any throttle below 52% any thing over that would create enuff force and tq to jeep it tight.,while she spun up and once she started spinning all was fine no clunk cause momentum just take’s over snd braces the D’shaft so was only apparent at low speed low to mid throttle take off’s..

Rudy , A lot of people esp w newer Jeep’s w this issue have solved it by changing the Tc and Diff Fluid. Just a guess here but fluid Viscosity prolly breaksdown w wear and creates the Clunk.. Do et See of it Fix’s and helps Def can’t Hurt .. It’s Faaacaking Frustrating Af i know , i just started telling my friends and even my parents one time lmaoo “Ohh Don’t worry just Slack in Driveline” my Dad looked at me and was like Meh My Lexxuss would Nvr do that lol

Neil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Neil, I had the rear diff completely replaced and changed the tranfer case fluid today. I'll let you know if there change after driving it for a little while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Doesnt look like it. Or didnt post. I will be going through the same trouble shooting journey. I cant believe for how common this issue is, that the factory doesnt have a mech. engeneer workIng on a proper diagnosis and fix. Crazy when you have a problem with your whip that NOONE can figure out. And as you look at and listen to the dealer say “ya its probably your driveshaft”, you know by their eyes that they have 0 idea whatsoeever and to turn around and walk away to save yourself tossing money to these robbers lol youd think after 4 wrong diagnoses and repairs for shit that didnt need to be repaired, would be enough for the dealer to atleast give you some of those parts at a way better cost, but nope, all they care about is raking your money lol my dealer quoted me $5800.00 for brakes and rotars ONLY on the front axel!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought the parts for 1200 all in and replaced them in 48 minutes!! Shops will tell you brembo brakes are higher and and a more difficult job when in fact these high end brakes are emgemeered awesome and much easier than most brakes to install they were gunna pocket 4600 bucks for 30 minutes of work!!!.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2014 Jeep SRT new off the lot and have only used launch control 4 or 5 times, as to say I have not driven this rig hard. Over the winter, I began to notice a "clunk clunk" from the rear, while accelerating from a complete stop. The noise became worse as the weather got warmer. I brought it into the dealer and they said that the rear breaks were binding and that once they were replaced it should go away...

Now 30 days later my Jeep is still at the dealer shop, they acknowledge the "clunk clunk" and can repeat the noise at will while accelerating. They have consulted a national tech and had chassis ears all over the rear of my car.

Here is what they have tried so far:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

So my questions are:

1. Anybody else have/heard this issue?
2. At what point is the "grace" period over before I have my lawyer start writing strongly worded letters?

Thank you for reading,

~miss my Jeep :frown2:
Replace the drive shaft. My SRT did this at low speed took it in they replaced the drive shaft. Took care of the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2014 Jeep SRT new off the lot and have only used launch control 4 or 5 times, as to say I have not driven this rig hard. Over the winter, I began to notice a "clunk clunk" from the rear, while accelerating from a complete stop. The noise became worse as the weather got warmer. I brought it into the dealer and they said that the rear breaks were binding and that once they were replaced it should go away...

Now 30 days later my Jeep is still at the dealer shop, they acknowledge the "clunk clunk" and can repeat the noise at will while accelerating. They have consulted a national tech and had chassis ears all over the rear of my car.

Here is what they have tried so far:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

So my questions are:

1. Anybody else have/heard this issue?
2. At what point is the "grace" period over before I have my lawyer start writing strongly worded letters?

Thank you for reading,

~miss my Jeep :frown2:
Did you ever end up getting it fixed because I as well just bought a 2015 off the lot and it has this clunk from stop and throughout acceleration and I’d like to be able to tell the dealer how to fix

41 - 50 of 50 Posts