Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2014 Jeep SRT new off the lot and have only used launch control 4 or 5 times, as to say I have not driven this rig hard. Over the winter, I began to notice a "clunk clunk" from the rear, while accelerating from a complete stop. The noise became worse as the weather got warmer. I brought it into the dealer and they said that the rear breaks were binding and that once they were replaced it should go away...

Now 30 days later my Jeep is still at the dealer shop, they acknowledge the "clunk clunk" and can repeat the noise at will while accelerating. They have consulted a national tech and had chassis ears all over the rear of my car.

Here is what they have tried so far:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

So my questions are:

1. Anybody else have/heard this issue?
2. At what point is the "grace" period over before I have my lawyer start writing strongly worded letters?

Thank you for reading,

~miss my Jeep :frown2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mine is doing this aswell. That is why i jump'd on forum this am ! There is another thread i was looking for as many a few have had this issue ! When i read it a few mo's agoo i was ohh i got that but it's minimal lately its progressively getting much more noticeable and worse. Im go find the thread and will send linknif i find it!

Keep this thread updated , as my dousche deeler say's this is perfectly normal for a perf Suv - my Dik then why has'nt it done it fron the begin?!?

Neil

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes take a look at the other thread.

Shouldn't matter how many times you've used launch control - its a feature design to be used. If they want to use it as a reason to deny warranty work, their SRT fans will drop like flies, me first.

I have this clunk, and it almost feels like something shifts in the rear of the car, as if you have a heavy bag that moves around. Mine isn't loud and doesn't bother me....but if it gets worse..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed, and it is disheartening to hear people being told "deal with it, it is a high performance vehicle".

I did finally find the other "clunk" thread and read it front to back. The best way I can describe the sound is, if you have ever pulled a trailer, the clunk that happens at initial acceleration when the tongue engages/shifts on the hitch.

I have told my service manager about the theories floated in that thread; hill descent, trans programming...etc.

He stated that he is trying to get the national field engineer to show up in Minnesota...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Never heard this in mine. Can you hear and feel it? Have they checked every bolt and torques them to specs? What all did they replace in the rear end? Checked the half shafts or driveshaft?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, they have gone front to back to check every component is tight and to spec.
Yes, you can hear it and feel it in the pedals. I was told if you feel it in the steering wheel it is coming from the front, but if you feel it in the floor it is coming from the back...?

They replaced:

1. Rear breaks redone - no affect (not under warranty)
2. Replaced rear axle - no affect (under warranty)
3. Replaced gas tank because "baffles broke loose" - no affect (not under warranty)
4. Replaced Continuous Velocity Joint - no affect (under warranty)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

National engineer reviewed everything they had done and was also "stumped"...so he authorized the replacement of the rear differential.
They are not 100% confident this will fix the problem either...but hopeful.

El Jefe:

To answer your question, they replaced the passenger side half shaft.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My wife car has the same issue. She does not have the SRT though. Mine is the SRT but do not have the issue. Hers is the 5.7 Grand cherokee and she had that double clunk. Just after you move off from a stand still. The dealer went through her car like crazy and after 4 days with the car and replaced almost the whole rear end had no luck. They said they would do more research but I can come and collect the car anyway then bring it back. While the service advisor was talking to me one of their techs walked past and heard the conversation. He suggested to re flash the transmission. While I waited they took it to the back again and did it as they had not tried it... They test drove the car and it was gone. She has now done 7k in it since and it has never come back. Not sure if the SRT would benefit from it but it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Captain, I suggested to the service manager the transmission flash, as well as all of the other theories presented in the other "clunk" thread. Not sure which they actually tried...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Maybe push to be sure they did or not do it sit worked for us. At this point I think you are probably desperate to try anything. We were as it was driving me crazy when I drove her car. She did not care...typical woman.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Did they say why they only did the passenger side half shaft? Can you tell which side the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mine is feeling like it's the right rear quadron , just now i was mess'n w the throttle on way to gym and mine is doing it 100% of the time from a stop , sometimes a single clunk/thump sometime's a double ! In addition i Noticed on mine i can make it happen in motion w a light push of gas from 20-30 mph it'll happen! As stated i feel as mine is progressively getting worse lol..

As BOB stated i Nvr heard / Noticed it before this damn thread lmao , but since then it's def getting worse ! I beet her and will continue too till something give's , dealer say's "ohhh that's Normal" so.....

Neil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They have 30+ hours on my vehicle and had chassis ears all over it, they replaced the passenger half shaft because they thought that was the point of "clunk".

I got my rig back yesterday (rear differential takes 2 weeks to order) and the clunk does sound more central and further to the rear than it did before?

I tried the "Sport Mode" idea to avoid the clunk, and while it seems to occur less, it still happens.

Sorry to those who now hear the clunk, but I am a guy who cringes at Tommy Boy losing the bag of M&Ms in the dash...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Can either of you get it on video? Does it only seem to occur when there is weight transfer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to let you guys know, I had exactly the same issue. And now it is fixed. Many people told me it was the drive shaft, engine mounts, tranny mounts yada yada yada. It was some loose bolt in the front according to my dealer, and now it's completely gone.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Your saying the loose bolt was in the front. im taking my in and would love to give the dealer some direction to limit the back an forth.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts