Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of many posts. I have a 14 with 44,500 on mine but i have had MDS turned off its whole life, wonder if that matters. No issues so far but im actually looking into a forged 426/cam upgrade

·
Registered
12 Posts
68K for the GF's Jeep, we did a full build(forged bottom end, head cam, headers, etc...), fingers crossed we fire it up and send off for tuning next week.

·
Registered
108 Posts
65K on my 14 SRT. No issues, only thing I had to replace is water pump at 45k. Fingers crossed til next year when I get a Trackhawk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2014, lifter cam replaced under warranty at 54000 miles. Valve seat dropped broken valve and piston in oil pan at 145,000 miles. the warranty cam and lifters were fine when i took it apart. but i needed a new engine anyway. Bought a new 6.4 hemi crate engine from mopar, after 250 miles it was knocking ....... yeah, you read it right. I tried to get it warrantied, but the dealer wanted $3700 to remove and diagnose it.. i told them to go somewhere else. i took the new engine apart, again valve seat issues.. yes new engine !!! i took the heads to the machine shop and had them reseated by a professional (obviously not chrysler), put in a stage 3 cam, hardened rods, and racing springs with greene racing for the tune, been a trooper ever since. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER PRODUCT. the new engine was mfg in January of 2020 and had new style/hell cat lifters in it. I also did an MDS delete. after all this I get about .75mpg less and must be pushing 600hp

Moral of the story Chrysler's shitty cam and lifters is one issue, the equally important issue is the freaking heads/valves... if i were you guys with 35-60,000 miles, i'd be buying a new cam and lifters and Edelbrock heads and hardened rods. all just my opinion bases a lot of wrench time with my jeep.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you're wasting your time and money if you don't do something about the heads (specifically valve seats and springs). Go talk to some machinists that see these things everyday... Ask them whose heads they see the most of.. Chrysler, Ford, Chevy.. My experience puts money on Chrysler.... Cheapest parts ever...

Oh also, my machinist saw the seals on the new engine heads.. Says cheap China.. Too loose... He put Motorcraft ones on and I don't think I need a catch can anymore...........

·
Registered
21 Posts
had my used '14 less than two months and first, water pump went out, then less than a month later, had to have entire engine replaced at under 56000 miles...had extended warranty (luckily) but was still without my car for 9 weeks, out $500 deductible, a new headlight assembly that wasn't covered even though it was caused by the water pump failurer, so $480 or something like that...and whatever the remaining factory warranty was, it wouldn't cover the cost of a rental so I had to eat another $600 for that. To say I was pissed is an understatement. Love my SRT, but honestly...can't say I'd buy another at this point

·
Registered
25 Posts
i got 44k miles on my 2014 and im thinking stroker if im going to be proactively fixing these mds lifters, throw in a better water pump as well. i bought my jeep new and the very first week i bought the thing i had a crack in my radiator that had to be replaced. maybe i just upgrade to something different...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm doing a few upgrades over stock to see if I get better life out of the new engine. JLT oil catch can 3.0, AFE Momentum GT cold air intake w/Pro Dry S filter media. I discovered during my new engine install, that whatever wasn't broken on the old engine that wasn't actually PART of the engine was taken from the old one and installed into the new one...plugs, alternator, water pump, oil temp sensor, etc...the tech I dealt with was pretty cool about letting me know up front so since the water pump was new I had them install that and since the alternator tested to be fine, that as well...I did have them change the spark plugs to be on the safe side but I'm thinking the oil temp sensor is going out as I'm getting the CEL coming on every now and then (not flashing) and weird oil pressure readings and temp readings sometimes. Like they fluctuate. My research shows it's most likely the sensor and its cheap enough and easy enough to swap out. Oh yeah, also just ordered a Mishimota Racing Thermostat that opens at 180° instead of the the OEM 203° allowing coolant to flow through the engine earlier before heating issues. Like I said...I do love this car...it's love hate though..like marriage...love my wife but....would I pick this one again? Who knows...lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I got my new engine it came with plugs. I ditched the Mds/lifters, stock springs and locators, cam, pushrods, and got a 180 thermo (like you). I went twith Greene Racing for my tune, cam, lifters, rods and springs. Running good now.

My new engine's heads went to the machine shop for a work over, these heads were crap. The imperfections in the seats make me wonder if chrysler even does quality control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the process off doing this right now. Can't decided to spend 1500 to fix the problem, or 15000 to do a complete full tilt war machine. Never buying a jeep again. And I'm the most die hard mopar guy in the room usually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts