Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The service 4wd system warning has just come up on my car too, along with the traction control light. The car was driving perfectly fine, I parked the car and turned it off when I returned a few hours later and started the car the service 4wd system warning came up. It seem that the rear electronic controlled limited slip differential is now locked all the time(the car requires allot of throttle to turn tight and you can hear the wheel skidding ) I plugged in the scan tool and it seem pretty much every control module aside from the transmission cannot communicate with the ECM, I checked the diff control motor with the scanner too and everything seems ok. As a result FCC is now deactivated along with traction control and Cruze control it also seems like it is not transferring as much power to the front as it normally would. Very strongly feel it’s just a faulty sensor . Anyone know which one/ones it may be ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
You have to change the transfer case module located under the driver seat.
Cost around 250$.
I have this same problem as @Gibby2013Srt8 except I already replaced the Transfer Case Module, actually did it on Friday night 3/11/22 started it in the garage and none of the lights were on so I thought great! Drove the Jeep Saturday 3/12/22, drove 1 mile to the freeway, got on the freeway set the cruise for first time ever and it worked for all of 3 miles to next exit as i tapped the brake to cancel the cruise and exit all of the lights came back on, service 4x4 trac light and FCCA warning etc... no more cruise and all lights on again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this same problem as @Gibby2013Srt8 except I already replaced the Transfer Case Module, actually did it on Friday night 3/11/22 started it in the garage and none of the lights were on so I thought great! Drove the Jeep Saturday 3/12/22, drove 1 mile to the freeway, got on the freeway set the cruise for first time ever and it worked for all of 3 miles to next exit as i tapped the brake to cancel the cruise and exit all of the lights came back on, service 4x4 trac light and FCCA warning etc... no more cruise and all lights on again.
Thanks for the info . This has been really tough to diagnose . One guy said it was a speed or abs sensor. Let me know if you figure this out . I don’t know what else to do

·
Registered
58 Posts
The service 4wd system warning has just come up on my car too, along with the traction control light. The car was driving perfectly fine, I parked the car and turned it off when I returned a few hours later and started the car the service 4wd system warning came up. It seem that the rear electronic controlled limited slip differential is now locked all the time(the car requires allot of throttle to turn tight and you can hear the wheel skidding ) I plugged in the scan tool and it seem pretty much every control module aside from the transmission cannot communicate with the ECM, I checked the diff control motor with the scanner too and everything seems ok. As a result FCC is now deactivated along with traction control and Cruze control it also seems like it is not transferring as much power to the front as it normally would. Very strongly feel it’s just a faulty sensor . Anyone know which one/ones it may be ?
I've had this issue except the rear diff was not locked up. In my case the ELSD motor had to be changed, not the control module.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You ever figured it out?
After changing the rear diff motor 10k miles ago the dreaded traction/ service 4wd came back lol getting real tired of this vehicle it's one thing after another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You ever figured it out?
After changing the rear diff motor 10k miles ago the dreaded traction/ service 4wd came back lol getting real tired of this vehicle it's one thing after another.
I just replaced the Rear diff motor . Damn thing was on back order this whole time!! Put it in and light came on literally seconds after I started the Jeep. I am now waiting for the 4WD control module under drivers seat to get delivered . Really hope it’s the issue . I am getting so tired of this Jeep

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just replaced the Rear diff motor . Damn thing was on back order this whole time!! Put it in and light came on literally seconds after I started the Jeep. I am now waiting for the 4WD control module under drivers seat to get delivered . Really hope it’s the issue . I am getting so tired of this Jeep
Went back to shop to check for codes, got a "lost communication" and "implausible data...etc" and "ELSD motor failed initialization" c2221-00 code.

I just ordered the DTCM. If that's not the issue I don't know what is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what have you replaced, in what order?

I am just biting the bullet and buying a used TC. Only thing I haven't replaced with my current setup is the position sensor which is coming Tuesday... Doubt that's it either so might as well test my luck with another TC.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So what have you replaced, in what order?

I am just biting the bullet and buying a used TC. Only thing I haven't replaced with my current setup is the position sensor which is coming Tuesday... Doubt that's it either so might as well test my luck with another TC.
First I changed the ELSD motor. That worked for about 10k miles.
Now the transfercase control module (5150733AE), but to no avail.
Based on the codes, I still think it's an electrical issue. So my next move is to have a competent shop check all the related wires and plugs.
After that I may examine the ELSD module (5150734AE) but I've never seen any mention of that one going bad!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts