Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, Mr. Moderator, please don't move this thread to the "other vehicle discussion" forum to die like you did with my "tempted by the fruit of another" thread.

I am looking for input from current WK2 owners (or soon to be, or perhaps have driven one) who also may have owned or driven recent models back to 2007 of the Mercedes ML63 AMG.

The reason is this, I am wondering about the pros and cons of each. I drove this ML today and it was a pretty sweet ride

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-Canadian-FULLYLOADED-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ332455551

The cost is $49,999 + GST + maybe 3-4 k for extended warranty.

I am wondering about things like vehicle reliability, cost of repair down the road, depreciation rate (e.g. how did the wk1's hold up?), drivability of vehicle, etc. I get the feeling from some posters in this forum that they likely have experience with both vehicles.

So any input you can provide is much appreciated. I am not sure I feel like waiting until spring for the Jeep, but if it makes much more sense to do so, I will do so (e.g. no one else will have driven vehicle already, cost to repair, etc).

Thanks

Derrick

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Let's see, someone just posted that a 2012 SRT in Edmonton is 81k vs 49 for and AMG. Think of the mods you could do.....do I need to keep going really.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's see, someone just posted that a 2012 SRT in Edmonton is 81k vs 49 for and AMG. Think of the mods you could do.....do I need to keep going really.
I know. But I am cruising around the mbworld forums and getting the crap scared out of me. Supposedly the msrp of replacing the AMG motor is 60k!!

But there is supposed to be a supercharger package for that vehicle. 0-60 under 4 seconds would be sweet.

I just don't know though. :( Wish the damn jeep was in already so not having these other thoughts.:boohoo:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a WK1 srt8! For 50k you could have a Jeep that would be scare the shit out of you fast.
Totally agree. If I only fit in the damn things, I would be into this one already

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...-SRT8-Vortech-Supercharged-W0QQAdIdZ319853870

Unfortunately, due to quite a few years of weightlifting to build the top half, and 20 years of marriage to develop the bottom half, I now wear a size 50 suit, so I find I am just too squished in the WK1. The new WK2 fits much better, as did the ML.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Oh man, for 30 ish grand you could get an 08 and 20K in mods would put you in something that would be in in the sub 3 sec 0-60 and supercar specs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh man, for 30 ish grand you could get an 08 and 20K in mods would put you in something that would be in in the sub 3 sec 0-60 and supercar specs.
Ok - that will become option number 3 then. :) Only caveat is I need to dump 70 lbs first!:thinkerg::eek:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
You just need to get yourself a Jeep, some leg room :), and give Harrison or Chris a ring. Hell If you get the AMG send it to those guys too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
54k for a 5 year old truck? Think about that.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Damn that Benz looks freaking sweet. Did not know they went for under 50k! Amazing.

I personally do not like second hand cars. For our shop I do not care, but for myself I really like something new, if possible with zero miles on it. I'm a bit paranoid.

With these german brands I would watch out for the repair costs (as you already mentioned) on used vehicles. So be sure to check out what the extended warranty is all about if you get that.

Maybe an interesting read if you already haven't come accross it, 2008 E63 AMG VS 2012 Charger SRT8:

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...vs-2008-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-comparison-test

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
well I figure I should chime in here as my GF drives a 2011 Ml63 AMG .. yes, I know its not a 2007 but the comparison will be accurate. My first question would have to be, do you ever plan on modding the vehicle you buy ? I only ask because modding a domestic jeep is by far a lot easier, economic and fun ! - i just had a Renntech exhaust system installed on her Benz that ran just under 8G .. Did i mention that the stage 1 upgrade was over 6G ? ..... :( (all because she wanted to sound more like me )

Hands down the Benz has a nicer interior, softer ride, and better curb appeal ( to most non car enthusiast i might add ) But you cant beat the raw power of the jeep.. it makes weird noises, and loud grunts .. the breaks sqeek and interior trim rattles - but to me, these are all things I enjoy about driving a vehicle !

If price is more of a concern than I would highly suggest a Wk1 ( even if you had to buy a new seat ) - you can buy one heck of a beautiful custom bucket for 40K lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
I drove a friend's '06 ML 63 a few years back. It's a sweet truck....fast and luxurious. The major downsides are 1) you're buying yesterday's tech......an '07 in today's world is downright ancient, and 2) expensive repair and maintanance costs...I believe the M-class from that era had way below average reliability records.

Personally, as a general rule, the only vehicles I would consider buying that are more than 3-4 years old would be Japanese.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Anyone who would spend $30k on a 5 year old vehicle, then put $10-20k into it in mods, shows their true "brilliance."

Reactions: scyukon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
why not go for a newer AMG, for the same price as the 2012 Jeep you could be in a 2009-10 AMG
That is an option I have also been considering as of last night due to the warranty thing. It appears I could likely lease a 2009-2010 ML and have warranty for the term of the lease. May take a trip over to the dealer today to see what the numbers look like.

As mentioned in several helpful posts above, the cost of repairing anything without warranty is really about all that is giving me pause.

Thanks folks, please keep it coming, this is exactly the type of feedback that is helpful for me in making a decision. Much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone who would spend $30k on a 5 year old vehicle, then put $10-20k into it in mods, shows their true "brilliance."
Not sure I would spend 20k, but 10k is about average around here to purchase a supercharger and have it installed and that I might consider. The problem with putting one on a vehicle that still has warranty is that the dealers basically wave goodbye to your warranty, so why bother.

I don't have the type of money to be able to afford a 60k vehicle, and go without warranty out of the gate by putting a blower on it.

I have put a blower on the last 2 Denalis for my wife, but only because the dealer who installed them was willing to honor the GM warranty (and did, to their credit) if anything went wrong with the vehicle. I don't know of any Jeep dealers around here willing to do the same.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn that Benz looks freaking sweet. Did not know they went for under 50k! Amazing.

I personally do not like second hand cars. For our shop I do not care, but for myself I really like something new, if possible with zero miles on it. I'm a bit paranoid.

With these german brands I would watch out for the repair costs (as you already mentioned) on used vehicles. So be sure to check out what the extended warranty is all about if you get that.

Maybe an interesting read if you already haven't come accross it, 2008 E63 AMG VS 2012 Charger SRT8:

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...vs-2008-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-comparison-test

Good luck!
Thanks very much for the link and the thoughts. These vehicles brand new are close to $100k, so that is beyond my rent district, unless I want to sleep in it (after my wife kicks me out of the house!), it is not on. But I too would like the chance to have a vehicle from new (have only had one in my life, all others bought 2 or 3 years old). Hence the WK2 order.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.