Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First, I must warn you guys I am just a guy who happened to buy an SRT8 and I know basically nothing about cars, so _please_ bare with me.

Today I noticed our 2012 Jeep Srt8 has a ticking noise coming from the motor. I don't recall hearing it before but today it caught my attention so it must have just started. It ticks when idling, and also ticks when driving/revving... it speeds up when stepping on the gas. I asked my wife (who drives it mostly) if it sounds familiar and she also said no.

I popped the hood and used a screw drive as a makeshift stethoscope to try and pin point where the sound is coming from. When I placed the screwdriver on what I believe is the head? I noticed I could hear the ticking clearer and louder. I am wondering if this could be a lifter?

We usually change our oil on time and use synthetic so I am not sure why this has happened. It's really bothering me as we don't drive the truck as much as the average person would. We purchased the truck used with 30k miles on it in 2013 and it currently has roughly 70k~ on it. I am worried that something is wrong with the motor as we're still making payments on it and also don't have the $ to put into repairing.

Do you guys think this is a lifter according to what I described?
If it is a lifter, how much do you think it would cost to have it repaired?
Is this something that would be covered under warranty?

Thank you in advance and please excuse my lack of knowledge.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just tried uploading a video of the ticking but it won’t allow me to since my account is new.

I noticed this morning that the ticking goes and comes, sometimes louder or quieter than before. It ticks at idle, revving and while driving. This morning it was pretty much gone completely for a few minutes and than came back.

· Premium Member
338 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Does sound like valvetrain bro. At least it's not a catastrophic failure and you can still drive it (albeit easy) while you save up the cash for repair. It will progressively get louder but at your mileage rate you could get another year out of it possibly imo.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah it could be the lifter/valve train specially if it gets worse with RPM. and Sadly you are outside of Powertrain warranty as well Unless you happened to buy a Maxcare Contract on it.

It's expensive Heads off repair... Couple thousand atleast.

There are few threads on this that sound damn near identical.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/...ce/252410-2014-knock-under-car-when-idle.html
Thanks for the responses guys. So this noise came out of no where. I got my last oil change where i normally get it about a month ago so I suspect something went wrong there? I did another oil change recently and put some Lucas and the noise at idle has stopped. You can barely hear it now when accelerating but it’s still there, slightly. Do you guys think it’ll clear it up and I should be fine?

Also I went to a local dealer (I didn’t buy the truck from them) and they said I’m out of warranty however after doing some further research I see that Chrysler offers 7year/100k mile powertrain warranty on certified pre owned vehicles. Is it possible this dealer didn’t see that it was certified preowned since I didn’t buy it from them? I thought all of their systems should be tied together. The truck was made in 2012 so if that’s valid I should be fine?

How should I proceed? Thanks again for all your help.

· Registered
339 Posts
I ended up getting the engine replaced after a lifter failure on my 2012. Roller seized and wiped the camshaft lobe. Too much metal contamination to risk just replacing cam and lifters. I always buy a top notch B to B warranty when I buy a 2-3 year old vehicle, and it almost always pays off on these high performance/low reliability vehicles. A $9k repair cost me $100.

· Premium Member
338 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. So this noise came out of no where. I got my last oil change where i normally get it about a month ago so I suspect something went wrong there? I did another oil change recently and put some Lucas and the noise at idle has stopped. You can barely hear it now when accelerating but it’s still there, slightly. Do you guys think it’ll clear it up and I should be fine?

Also I went to a local dealer (I didn’t buy the truck from them) and they said I’m out of warranty however after doing some further research I see that Chrysler offers 7year/100k mile powertrain warranty on certified pre owned vehicles. Is it possible this dealer didn’t see that it was certified preowned since I didn’t buy it from them? I thought all of their systems should be tied together. The truck was made in 2012 so if that’s valid I should be fine?

How should I proceed? Thanks again for all your help.
The warranty is tied to the VIN your owner connect portal would show your warranty status. including CPO's Mine was CPO and It showed it.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The warranty is tied to the VIN your owner connect portal would show your warranty status. including CPO's Mine was CPO and It showed it.
Ok, I was finally able to login to Mopar connect.. I click warranty but it just shows me "MOPAR® PARTS & ACCESSORIES LIMITED WARRANTIES" and gives me the option to download the warranty details.. I think this would be if I wanted to purchase warranty.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is why in Maxcare I trust! So glad Bought the Lifetime in 2013. 107k miles.

I just logged into my Mopar connect account and see that I still have warranty since it was a certified preowned vehicle. I just hope they don't give me the run around.. ? For you guys who went through warranty to have this issue fixed or have your motor replaced; what was the process and any tips in dealing with them? Thanks.

· Registered
24 Posts
Bump.. can anyone chime in on Chrystlers 7 year CPO warranty repair procedure?
if you log on to your mopar account and start a live chat with a representative they can connect you or give you the number to the certified preowned department. you tell them what you feel is wrong with your particular vehicle and they will let you know if you are covered. you will have to give them your vin#. hope it works out bro

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bump.. can anyone chime in on Chrystlers 7 year CPO warranty repair procedure?
if you log on to your mopar account and start a live chat with a representative they can connect you or give you the number to the certified preowned department. you tell them what you feel is wrong with your particular vehicle and they will let you know if you are covered. you will have to give them your vin#. hope it works out bro
Can’t I just take it to the dealer that I purchased the vehicle from? I don’t want to go back and forth and have them try to deny me for any stupid reason. There’s an issue with the motor and the vehicle is certified with valid warranty. I’ve heard stories of them trying to find any reason not to honor it. Do you think it’s best to go to the dealer or live chat?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts