Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm happy you are getting this beast sorted but what is up with that catch can setup? Not a fan of having it connected to the intake mani which is at 15psi during a WOT run, the same time the crank needs to breathe the most.

Good luck with it, you are in good hands with your builder, Jimmy is the bomb!
Where is there another catch can set up available? Im all ears

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
The big thing is that you want to block off that line right after the throttle body or run a check valve so when it’s in boost you aren’t pressurizing your crank case through your catch can. You can pick up a small amount of hp too.

This was my set-up

If I were to do it again I would run the part where the small filter is pre-blower for some increased crank case vacuum.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Where is there another catch can set up available? Im all ears
With regard to catch can setup I would go custom. My setup has 4 -8 AN lines from the motor routed to an underhood catch can with dual filters. We vented at the PCV location, the oil fill, and both valve covers. With adequate venting, the velocity of the vent gas is not sufficient to transport oil to the catch can and the result is that you never have to drain the can. I run 26psi boost on my Arrington 426 and have never had a drop of oil in my catch can. Routing of hoses is important too, keep them as short as possible and route them vertically up (any slope up is fine) from the motor then route them down to the catch can, no pockets.

If you have ever disassembled the intake mani you will also notice the way the factory vents the crank thru the pcv passage, its no wonder it's the one vent location that blows a ton of oil into the typical catch can setups like the one that you have, which is what came on my Jeep when I bought it. I drove from NYC to Houston Tx and had to drain the catch can a couple of times. The factory engineers put a series of baffles in it which is opposite of what you want to do to avoid oil transport. The key is to slow the flow down rather than accel it at each baffle, I modified the assembly to eliminate the effect of the baffles.

GL with your toy!!! Damn these boosted Jeeps are a hoot!!!

·
Just trying to go Fast
17,143 Posts
Say what you want about the TH but it's a great vehicle. I love the hell out of mine. Yes it is vastly different from the WK1..... it's supposed to be. It's a 12 year newer Jeep. They're not going to make a special 1 off chassis for the TH. Some of you guys still sound like WK1 crybabies. I love the WK1 and TH. Always will. Obviously the WK1 will be faster just bc of weight. Who knows.... maybe 6 or 7 years down the line my TH will become BRICK 2. The TH is the Jeep we've been wanting Jeep to build FOR YEARS! It's finally here and people aren't happy. Amazes me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hate to see you guys do all that exhaust work but not replace those stock exhaust flanges with v-bands.
Not in this situation. That's a store bought borla exhaust for eom fit. If I ever want to fab a custom exhaust out of aluminum or titanium for weight reduction the borla I cut and v band will be no good to anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Jeep looks fantastic man...Congrats!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not in this situation. That's a store bought borla exhaust for eom fit. If I ever want to fab a custom exhaust out of aluminum or titanium for weight reduction the borla I cut and v band will be no good to anyone.
Did the rear section of the borla fit that bad then?

Just a comment about turbo kits ... I have yet to install one that did not require significant work (cut/weld) to address flange alignment or rubbing/slapping metal-metal somewhere on the car.

GL with it, don't let a few niggles tempt you to sell it, big builds take time to get sorted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did the rear section of the borla fit that bad then?

Just a comment about turbo kits ... I have yet to install one that did not require significant work (cut/weld) to address flange alignment or rubbing/slapping metal-metal somewhere on the car.

GL with it, don't let a few niggles tempt you to sell it, big builds take time to get sorted.

The borla set perfect on the oem exhaust. This kit demon made me was off by a shit load.
Im burned out at this point, the amount that went wrong with this car is up there in my book of records.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Alex the exhaust smell is likely from the open PCV you have. The small filter from your catch can is venting PCV fumes under your hood and then coming in through the HVAC opening.

I had the same issue on my blower.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Alex the exhaust smell is likely from the open PCV you have. The small filter from your catch can is venting PCV fumes under your hood and then coming in through the HVAC opening.

I get the exhaust/fuel smells when I open the front windows, especially the passenger side window.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

This was a problem before I didn't the pcv. I know what engine fumes smell like, this is pure exhaust smell, strong and toxic.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts