Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I like your review and your honesty. Tuning sometimes can take well over half a dozen revisions to get it right for various reasons and based on the owner's preferences. I would not call Jimmy's place slow by any means especially when quality work is involved...I've seen shops take more than twice longer and some a bit quicker and on both occassions their work was $#!T and had to be redone sometimes more than once too LOL. Yes, Jimmy's crew has even worked on my car during a race after major overheating and leaking and I was still able to qualify and do the elimination rounds which I didn't think was even possible. He is one of the the fastest hemi mechanics I know at diagnosing issues and trust me I know a lot of them. In regards to the turbo, you can look into doing a Rear Mount Setup...Ask Jimmy about that(It makes good power) and he will get you squared away. That will cut down on a lot of the heat you are experiencing in the bay and be a major sleeper too (Those precisions can be an oven when they're ready).
On another note your Jeep looks great, excellent paint correction with good depth and shine and I also like your lighting and headlight setup :grin2:

After having the jeep finished by Jim at true street I can post up the finally product.

https://youtu.be/exzUpaKzx5k

https://youtu.be/tMe-rZeD3O0

https://youtu.be/mWWITYNFjXU

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like your review and your honesty. Tuning sometimes can take well over half a dozen revisions to get it right for various reasons and based on the owner's preferences. I would not call Jimmy's place slow by any means especially when quality work is involved...I've seen shops take more than twice longer and some a bit quicker and on both occassions their work was $#!T and had to be redone sometimes more than once too LOL. Yes, Jimmy's crew has even worked on my car during a race after major overheating and leaking and I was still able to qualify and do the elimination rounds which I didn't think was even possible. He is one of the the fastest hemi mechanics I know at diagnosing issues and trust me I know a lot of them. In regards to the turbo, you can look into doing a Rear Mount Setup...Ask Jimmy about that(It makes good power) and he will get you squared away. That will cut down on a lot of the heat you are experiencing in the bay and be a major sleeper too (Those precisions can be an oven when they're ready).
On another note your Jeep looks great, excellent paint correction with good depth and shine and I also like your lighting and headlight setup :grin2:
Im use to one shot done tuning with the tuners I work with ( which are the best in the country), dyno tuning then street tuning, everything gets dialed in and im done. I haven't seen that from AJ so I will reach out and try to work with the man to get this thing where I want it. Hopefully he will devote some time for me like I expect him to.

My comment about Jim working slow was towards my build, he actually works very fast and efficient once he is working on something and doesn't stop for other things. There was no argument about the fact that my car took way to long to do, it should have taken a month like he told me and not 3. I believe he didn't prioritize the car and time just slipped from under him, things happen. There is no bad blood between us and the way he handled things after the car started having problems was exaptational. This could have been just with me and no one else will ever experience this, its the nature of business. All and all the good far out weigh the negative at his shop. That's why I highly recommend it.

We spoke of different turbo set ups and nothing was mentioned about the rear mount. Its not as easy as you think to just make one. New ypipe hotside, turbo bracket, new exhaust, new cold side piping, an waterproof intake system. We also lack good fabricators and the guy Jim works with is in Upstate NY and he needs the car for a good period of time. If that's to be done I might as well get him to make twins. Preferably id like a used twin kit so I don't pay full retail since I waisted enough money already. In the mean time ill just have to deal and fix the issue with cooling the engine bay with more air flow.

Thank you for the compliments, I always build my cars in these ways. Clean, to the point, fast and good looking.

·
Snail On Board
4,365 Posts
Im use to one shot done tuning with the tuners I work with ( which are the best in the country).
I'm on revision number six with Joel. He's tweaking partial throttle. As always runs great, amazing daily-normal driving manners and gitty-up when needed. After working with him over the years, I cannot imagine, one and done.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm on revision number six with Joel. He's tweaking partial throttle. As always runs great, amazing daily-normal driving manners and gitty-up when needed. After working with him over the years, I cannot imagine, one and done.
One and done can last for 6-8 hours. Everything done proper.
Right now my partial throttle is shit along with throttle response

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I wish I had the experience of one and done. Even through my experiences in the past by using different tuners, and also listening to the experiences of others, I have never seen it after major modifications. What Hemi Tuner have you used that was "One and Done"?

Agreed Jimmy is pretty fast and efficient, but sadly, because he is so good, everyone wants his attention and that is where the delays come in and as you said time would slip from under him.

Turbo Fabrication in general is not an easy task but it all comes down to what you want and what you can tolerate, available funding and interest in working towards that goal and like you said, the availability of good fabricators, which we don't lack here in NC. $#!Ts definitely not cheap!

My Bay gets hot for sure, as well as some of my buddies with large Turbos, but I haven't seen a problem quite like yours where it causes all that B.S to happen! I would have to Park it and get it resolved ASAP! Hopefully, you get that issue sorted out quickly, because I personally couldn't deal with that $#!T for too long.

Yes Sir, you definitely have one of the cleanest cars I've seen :grin2:

Im use to one shot done tuning with the tuners I work with ( which are the best in the country), dyno tuning then street tuning, everything gets dialed in and im done. I haven't seen that from AJ so I will reach out and try to work with the man to get this thing where I want it. Hopefully he will devote some time for me like I expect him to.

My comment about Jim working slow was towards my build, he actually works very fast and efficient once he is working on something and doesn't stop for other things. There was no argument about the fact that my car took way to long to do, it should have taken a month like he told me and not 3. I believe he didn't prioritize the car and time just slipped from under him, things happen. There is no bad blood between us and the way he handled things after the car started having problems was exaptational. This could have been just with me and no one else will ever experience this, its the nature of business. All and all the good far out weigh the negative at his shop. That's why I highly recommend it.

We spoke of different turbo set ups and nothing was mentioned about the rear mount. Its not as easy as you think to just make one. New ypipe hotside, turbo bracket, new exhaust, new cold side piping, an waterproof intake system. We also lack good fabricators and the guy Jim works with is in Upstate NY and he needs the car for a good period of time. If that's to be done I might as well get him to make twins. Preferably id like a used twin kit so I don't pay full retail since I waisted enough money already. In the mean time ill just have to deal and fix the issue with cooling the engine bay with more air flow.

Thank you for the compliments, I always build my cars in these ways. Clean, to the point, fast and good looking.

·
Snail On Board
4,365 Posts
Love it and I agree 100% with your assessment of the trackhawk.

Some reports on Facebook of the transfer case locking up on modded trackhawks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I wish I had the experience of one and done. Even through my experiences in the past by using different tuners, and also listening to the experiences of others, I have never seen it after major modifications. What Hemi Tuner have you used that was "One and Done"?

Agreed Jimmy is pretty fast and efficient, but sadly, because he is so good, everyone wants his attention and that is where the delays come in and as you said time would slip from under him.

Turbo Fabrication in general is not an easy task but it all comes down to what you want and what you can tolerate, available funding and interest in working towards that goal and like you said, the availability of good fabricators, which we don't lack here in NC. $#!Ts definitely not cheap!

My Bay gets hot for sure, as well as some of my buddies with large Turbos, but I haven't seen a problem quite like yours where it causes all that B.S to happen! I would have to Park it and get it resolved ASAP! Hopefully, you get that issue sorted out quickly, because I personally couldn't deal with that $#!T for too long.

Yes Sir, you definitely have one of the cleanest cars I've seen :grin2:
Agh for sure, he is way to popular. He gets bombarded with work all the time. Shop is packed every time I go there.

I haven't had a 2010 hemi tuned by anyone yet but AJ, so im going to reach out and finish this next week. My good friend and tuner alpha from induction did my 14, dyno and street tune 3 hours later car is perfection. Same guy that does my gtr, 6-8 hours and its perfection. also consider the gtr is so much more complex then any other car.
My heating problems with everything in the engine bay getting cooked could get fixed with a hood that moves a lot of air out. There only one I like which is the medic hood so ill be calling black ops soon.

Some reports on Facebook of the transfer case locking up on modded trackhawks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And it begins. Looks like the parts on the new car are also not as good.

·
Snail On Board
4,365 Posts
Have you thought about fabricating a battery cover? Mine has a wrap around and a top. I have the demon kit. I don't have any heat issues with my retro headlights, the glue. My piping is ceramic coated as well as wrapped in the engine bay, so that might be the difference, don't know. Thanks for the videos!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New monoblock wheels from BC forged. The handling, braking and acceleration have increased drastically. With the 2 piece rotors provided by Jim at true street and the light weight wheels I have shaved close to a 100lb of rotating mass off the car. Removing weight of the vehicle especially rotating mass is very important and affective to getting a faster and more improved driving car.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm happy you are getting this beast sorted but what is up with that catch can setup? Not a fan of having it connected to the intake mani which is at 15psi during a WOT run, the same time the crank needs to breathe the most.

Good luck with it, you are in good hands with your builder, Jimmy is the bomb!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts