Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am just starting to try and figure out why my check engine light came on today... I did have a check gas cap warning pop up a couple of times about 2 weeks ago... but nothing till today and the check engine light came on.. I did just start using a new gas station but still using 91 I have a 07 srt8 GC if the light stays on I will go to autozone to have them checkout the code but does anyone maybe have some ideas? Thanks

· Registered
710 Posts
The EVAP system is what prevents the gas vapors from escaping your gas tank. 2 common solutions are:

1) make sure you are closing your gas cap fully (3 clicks) after refueling, check the seal on it & replace if necessary.

2) Have a look at the EVAP (Evaporative Emission Control System) system and check the lines for tears/holes. Take it to a shop if anything.

If you bought the truck used, see if the previous owner changed the gas cap or see if the cap is broken. Some people like to put a chrome door for the gas cap and somehow end up breaking it half the time.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all of the info... I will first start off with getting a new gas cap. I have noticed that it is loose. Also do you rec just one I can pick up at a local auto parts store or should I get this at a dealership.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All once again thank you for all of the help, i have the new gas cap. To clear the check engine light I need to remove the neg battery cable for 30 sec correct? thanks again for all of the help.

· Banned
1,577 Posts
or use tuner to clear code.

Reactions: kalex2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.