Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that my car had some knocking sounds in the engine. I went to check the oil levels and the engine was bone dry. I had changed the oil two months ago. So I went and refilled the engine with new oil and I still have the same issue. The sound gets worse around 2500- 3000 RPM. I was thinking the engine might be toast. But I wanted everyone's opinion before I did anything. I might rebuild the engine if i have to pull the engine out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the oil must be going somewhere? Is it leaking out or burning it out the exhaust(blue smoke)? It's knocking all the time now because it was run dry with no oil. Sounds like irreversible damage has occured.
Yea sounds like it. i just looked at the vehicle again and i was going through the gauges and i see the oil psi is at 99. There are no visible leaks from the oil filter or pan. There was some white smoke yesterday when i started her up.

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
246 Posts
Your bottom end rotating assembly is rooted crank journals gone crank damage probably for sure so yeah complete engine rebuild if cylinder walls not to badly damaged so the block ok around the 7 to 10 grand mark and running out of oil means non of it was lubricated so chew the bearing out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts