Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need some rear shocks but I'm having a hard time finding them online. Anyone know where I can find some? Also wondering if this is something I can change myself? I'm no mechanic but have done work on my own cars in the past. Any info helps!
Thanks,
David

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Take off wheel, undo two bolts, remove shock, put new one in, tighten two bolts, put wheel back on.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Hi all,
I need some rear shocks but I'm having a hard time finding them online. Anyone know where I can find some? Also wondering if this is something I can change myself? I'm no mechanic but have done work on my own cars in the past. Any info helps!
Thanks,
David
Rears are easy to swap out!

Maybe some members have some used ones laying around?

Sent from my iPad 3G

Reactions: 9684david

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts

·
Demonized
772 Posts
Stage 6 QA1's IMO. That way if you decide to lower the Jeep in the future, you'll have the QA1's for a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this post is old but I thought I would give it a try here first to see if someone might know. I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and I think my rear shocks are blown or are inadequate for my weight/power. They have about 10K on the new set and they bottom out in the rear all the time. I was trying to decide if I have a bad set of shocks or if they just can't handle the load. I was looking at a few upgrade options but I thought I would see what you guys/gals thought or have tried besides stock. Anyone try or recommend anything?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, they have been easy to bottom out since new. But was only really noticeable with people in the rear. Now it seems to be happening more.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, they have been easy to bottom out since new. But was only really noticeable with people in the rear. Now it seems to be happening more.
Glad I saw this. Was going to replace the rear (I'm at 37k) but now I won't bother. Guess it is the way the stock Bilstiens are tuned... Feels fine with no people in the back, but with people in the back it seems to rely heavily on the jounce bumpers to help control movement.

Also hate going over a hump in the road at speed and having the rear end buck me up into the ceiling...

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There's just not a lot of travel in the stock rear suspension and much worse with people in the back seat. Not my favorite place to sit in the car. Note to self, don't ride in the back of your Jeep. I've replaced both fronts but still running my original rear shocks at 100K mi. They seem to be ok but then again maybe they're not. The back end feels pretty tight with no bouncing around.

Reactions: DubThreads

·
Registered
6 Posts
So is there a good replacement for the stock bilstein shocks that has less travel or is rated for more weight?

I was looking around online and saw a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE (2006 - 2010) High Perform Suspension Shock listed under Part #MOPAR 5175959AC but when you look up SRT8 I still get the MOPAR 5290641AC as the recommended stock replacement. I haven't been able to figure out the differences between the two yet.

What have you guys tried? Anyone look at the KYB 554377 Gas-A-Just?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I have rancheros in the rear, they work very well. Decently priced as well.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So is there a good replacement for the stock bilstein shocks that has less travel or is rated for more weight?

I was looking around online and saw a JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE (2006 - 2010) High Perform Suspension Shock listed under Part #MOPAR 5175959AC but when you look up SRT8 I still get the MOPAR 5290641AC as the recommended stock replacement. I haven't been able to figure out the differences between the two yet.

What have you guys tried? Anyone look at the KYB 554377 Gas-A-Just?
5175959AC are front struts and 5290641AC are rear shocks, a lot of people on here go with Stage6 QA1 shocks for the rear and they're great, much better then stocks.

Reactions: DubThreads
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.