Another Overheating Issue - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Another Overheating Issue

Hey Fellas. Just need a little help. I have read damn near every thread on this overheating issue. In Georgia and high is maybe 80 degrees. Yesterday the temp gauge went all the way into the red sitting at idle and did the same today. Luckily I was near a restaurant and the daughter and I just went and had dinner while the jeep cooled down. I have noticed that I have been getting some bearing noise coming from the engine (sounds like damn chipmunks). Put in a new 180 thermostat, burped, fan relays and still rising temps. I'm assuming its the water pump bc of the bearing noise. Any help would be GREAT!!!
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 JEEP SRT8
CAM **MEAN STREET HEADS**JOHAN TUNED**275/315 nitto motivos**catch can**t-180 stat**bwoody 4 intake**hid fogs 6k**bwoody shorty antenna**corsa exhaust / resonator delete / qtp cutouts**kooks longtubes w/catted mid-pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,207 Posts
Take the belt off and feel for play on the water pump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking757 View Post
Take the belt off and feel for play on the water pump
Am I checking to see if the whole assembly is loose?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

So the black bearing has a little play. I guess hence the the chirping chipmunk I hear. Is that enough to make the water pump go bad? The temp gauge was completely touching 245 degrees at one point. Of course, once you start driving the temp goes down. Thoughts?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 PM
BJB
"guy with the crazy Jeep"

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,048 Posts
Bad water pump...

Brian

As for tuning there is only really one qualified tuner and he comes from Jersey....
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Passmg2 (04-23-2019)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,032 Posts
Bad, bad water pump...go to your room!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 PM

You mention fan relays but are the fans running when at temp? The only thing that stops being functional once driving would be fans, and you mention the temp goes down once driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Thanked 3,521 Times in 2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmanz View Post
You mention fan relays but are the fans running when at temp? The only thing that stops being functional once driving would be fans, and you mention the temp goes down once driving

Good point.

Was the thermostat checked as well? Nonetheless the pump shouldn’t have any play.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking757 View Post
Good point.

Was the thermostat checked as well? Nonetheless the pump shouldn’t have any play.

He put In a 180 he says but from what I’ve seen they are issue prone alone.

The water pump shouldn’t have play though but I don’t believe it to be the main over heating issue. Also I would think the thermostat isn’t it, it would cause over heating regardless of moving or not. The radiator is doing its job at speed

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. These cooling issues drive me crazy. I've had bad thermostats in 100 degree southern weather and the temps at idle have only gotten to 220. Now we have 80 degree Ga weather and the damn thing hits 245. Even if it was just the thermostat, I've never had a temp spike like that but once years ago driving down the highway and the temp wouldn't lower (cant remember the solution). Hopefully its the water pump, ordered from HHP and will be installed along with a paramount valvebody. In regards to the fan relays, the fans were running at temp. I swapped them along with the thermostat, trying to diagnose with the cheaper items first. Damn chrysler wants to charge me $1000 for pump and install. I got a local performance shop, Injected Engineering, doing the installs next week for less than the chrysler cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode