How to quiet an AFE exhaust - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

How to quiet an AFE exhaust

Just brought home a 2017 SRT and am loving everything about it... except its excessive loudness.

The previous owner installed an AFE cold air intake and exhaust system.

What is the most practical and cost effective way to reduce the exhaust noise level and eliminate drone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Add resonators or mufflers in line, or see if someone would possibly swap their stock exhaust with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Look under the car and see if there is a very large 'suitcase' muffler just after the transmission, you can't miss it if it's there. If it is there you have an axle-back system and you can consider new resonators (the 2 small muffler-looking items at the ends of the exhaust). Many people say Borla S-type axle-backs are not much louder than stock, and maybe you can find used stock ones from some one who replaced their stock system.
If the large suitcase muffler is not there then you need mufflers and possibly new resonators. The stock suitcase muffler is very expensive so I'm sure any shop could put something else in its place for half the cost.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

For better or worse, my AFE exhaust is a complete cat back with 3 inch pipes welded into an "X" so there is no suitcase.

The sound resulting from this set up is a little too aggressive and I appreciate suggestions for dialing it back a bit.

From the advice received so far, it appears that replacing the mufflers might bring about the desired effect.

Any suggestions for a quieter muffler that is 14 inches long with three inch input and output that would retain the SRT stock tips?
Attached Thumbnails
aFe.jpg  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributing Member

You could try these dual chamber universals if you get a muffler shop to do the tips but with just an x pipe don't expect much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Flow-T...8AAOSwRWRbT6Yr

You could also use the dual chambers or mufflers like these to have a muffler shop add to the x pipe where the suitcase used to be

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-inches-Of...YAAOSw05tae2X6

Last edited by Hemi Cruiser; 05-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks, HC, greg and Coffee for your helpful and informative posts.

A little more information: Before I arrived here at the SRT forum, I used to hang out on the Corvette boards. I had a Z06 that for a year had Borlas. Loved them, but the drone was a killer, so I lined the floorboards with sound and temp deadening material. Dropped the noise around 8dB but it was still unpleasant at highway speeds in low gear.

When I lost the Borlas and returned to a stock exhaust, the insulation remained and created an impressively quiet inside environment. Hell, I didn't even know the car had a radio! So, besides adjusting to the massive differences in ride height and weight of the SRT, the noise of the aftermarket systems brought back unpleasant memories of former demons <no pun>.

Fast forward to today when I found myself giving a friend a ride and my impressions of the AFE systems began to shift. Still not thrilled with noise in off the line acceleration but highway speeds were reasonably acceptable.

Next slide: I decided to perform a <PIA> installation of sound deadening material to to the JGC to see if I could buy another 8dB reduction and bring initial acceleration noise into acceptable boundaries.

A sincere thank you to the warm reception here... I will keep this thread apprised of progress...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
Many thanks, HC, greg and Coffee for your helpful and informative posts.

A little more information: Before I arrived here at the SRT forum, I used to hang out on the Corvette boards. I had a Z06 that for a year had Borlas. Loved them, but the drone was a killer, so I lined the floorboards with sound and temp deadening material. Dropped the noise around 8dB but it was still unpleasant at highway speeds in low gear.

When I lost the Borlas and returned to a stock exhaust, the insulation remained and created an impressively quiet inside environment. Hell, I didn't even know the car had a radio! So, besides adjusting to the massive differences in ride height and weight of the SRT, the noise of the aftermarket systems brought back unpleasant memories of former demons <no pun>.

Fast forward to today when I found myself giving a friend a ride and my impressions of the AFE systems began to shift. Still not thrilled with noise in off the line acceleration but highway speeds were reasonably acceptable.

Next slide: I decided to perform a <PIA> installation of sound deadening material to to the JGC to see if I could buy another 8dB reduction and bring initial acceleration noise into acceptable boundaries.

A sincere thank you to the warm reception here... I will keep this thread apprised of progress...

Get a Corsa! They also sell them for Vettes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode