Help me decide on an exhaust set up! - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Help me decide on an exhaust set up!

Hey there,

I'm selling my 17 Rebel soon and I'll be picking up a 2016-2017 SRT, I can't stand stock exhaust's so I'm researching ahead of time to find the perfect set up. I'm looking for some snap, I'm not sure if these Jeep's crackle or pop much but I enjoy that. Drone doesn't bother me too much as long as it's not crazy. I've had a ton of set up's on my Ram (5.7 Hemi) Corsa, various flowmasters, magnaflow, carven and a muffler/res delete. I've browsed lots of forms and watched a ton of youtube videos and nothing's stuck out yet. I'd appreciate some input, what kind of exhaust are you guys running and how does it sound, tone/loudness? Here's what I've gathered from these more "common" exhaust set up's.

Corsa- I paid 2k for it on my Ram and it was painfully quiet, it did have ZERO drone but you couldn't tell it was there unless you were practically WOT. Maybe it's different on these 6.4's? I did like the unique tone and rasp it had. Seems like a hit or a miss on these WK2's. I'm curious if anyone's left out the mid pipes that come with the kit and just used the rear mufflers/resonators.

Borla "S-Type and the ATAK"- I think the S-Type would be too quiet for me so I was considering the ATAK. I like how it sounds but I hear the fitment is piss poor on the Borla kits, I'd like to hear it in person. Sucks that they don't offer a black chrome tip option but that can always be powder coated.

aFe- Probably my favorite one so far, seems fairly aggressive and I like the factory tips on these Jeep's. For a price point it's very affordable.

I wouldn't do a muffler delete but the resonator delete seems like a possibility.

Thanks for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 AM

Here is my $.02 if itís even worth that much. Iíve had my SRT for 2 weeks now.
The Corsa is in a league of its own. I had one on my G8. To really make it sound great, you need to do headers. My G sounded like a sprint car during hard acceleration. It was really an amazing sound. And it had zero drone which was a huge deal for me.
IMO the Borla exhausts are more of your typical sounding aftermarket exhaust and is what I find most people envision when they think aftermarket V8 exhaust.
As for AFE, I donít think Iíd go that direction no matter the price. There are numerous threads in here about rusting. They use a lower quality stainless than the other two and why scrimp on money when spending this kinda dough on a performance suv?

Personally Iíve grown to like the oe sound. It has a nice low rumble when itís idling, zero drone on the highway(I can talk to the kids who are in the backseat without yelling), and has a nice V8 sound upon acceleration.

Iíve come from loving loud exhausts on motorcycles, atvs, dirt bikes, cars/trucks to now enjoying the refinement of a well contained exhaust on a powerful engine.
I guess Iím getting old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

I can agree on the Corsa, there's no company out there that can even come close to the uniqueness of the sound. I wish they offered the "extreme" option for the jeeps. GThaus would be my #1 but at 4-5k. That's pretty steep.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:06 PM

YouTube is your friend, can help you narrow it down. From what I've heard, I like Corsa.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:54 PM
Major Contributing Member

Loved the Corsa sound on my WK1 GCSRT. To me, it sounded like an exotic sports car, ie. Maserati or Jag. When I first installed it, I was disappointed by the sound, but everyone told me how good it sounded. I had a friend do some hard passes as I stood on the sidewalk and WOW! Totally different sound from inside than outside. Iíd occasionally drive with the rear hatch glass open just to enjoy the sound.

With that said, I went Borla S on my WK2 GCSRT. My decision wasbase primarily on aesthetics. The Corsa just looked to busy with too much plumbing. There are 4 cans hanging under the back bumper. I chose S over ATAK because I wanted louder than stock, but not LOUD. I had no first hand experience with each, but from online research, the ATAK is a little louder than stock, but much raspier. The funny thing is, in the WK1 world, a lot of people thought the S was too loud.

And I havenít experienced and drone on my WK2 with the Borla
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericferguson8 View Post
Hey there,

I'm selling my 17 Rebel soon and I'll be picking up a 2016-2017 SRT, I can't stand stock exhaust's so I'm researching ahead of time to find the perfect set up. I'm looking for some snap, I'm not sure if these Jeep's crackle or pop much but I enjoy that. Drone doesn't bother me too much as long as it's not crazy. I've had a ton of set up's on my Ram (5.7 Hemi) Corsa, various flowmasters, magnaflow, carven and a muffler/res delete. I've browsed lots of forms and watched a ton of youtube videos and nothing's stuck out yet. I'd appreciate some input, what kind of exhaust are you guys running and how does it sound, tone/loudness? Here's what I've gathered from these more "common" exhaust set up's.

Corsa- I paid 2k for it on my Ram and it was painfully quiet, it did have ZERO drone but you couldn't tell it was there unless you were practically WOT. Maybe it's different on these 6.4's? I did like the unique tone and rasp it had. Seems like a hit or a miss on these WK2's. I'm curious if anyone's left out the mid pipes that come with the kit and just used the rear mufflers/resonators.

Borla "S-Type and the ATAK"- I think the S-Type would be too quiet for me so I was considering the ATAK. I like how it sounds but I hear the fitment is piss poor on the Borla kits, I'd like to hear it in person. Sucks that they don't offer a black chrome tip option but that can always be powder coated.

aFe- Probably my favorite one so far, seems fairly aggressive and I like the factory tips on these Jeep's. For a price point it's very affordable.

I wouldn't do a muffler delete but the resonator delete seems like a possibility.

Thanks for any feedback!

Donít forget solo performance. I am extremely happy with mine and no drone whatsoever.

2018 Trackhawk Diamond Black Crystal Pearl (solo performance catback, rear fog conversion, interior/exterior LED, ceramic tint, debadged)
2012 WK2 SRT8 Brilliant Black, 2005 WK1 5.7L Limited Brilliant Black, 2005 WK1 Laredo Brilliant Black, 2002 WJ Laredo Sport Bright Silver Metallic, 1999 WJ Laredo Graphite Gray, 1998 XJ Cherokee Sport Black, 1997 ZJ Laredo Green
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Garage
If money is no object, then do headers with a hi-flow cat mid-pipe first. See how you like it. It may not be loud enough for your tastes. This is what I did on my '15 SRT. I actually ended up keeping the stock mufflers/resonators. It was definitely a step up above stock, and it sounded great, IMHO. It was not obnoxious in the cabin, but start up and WOT it was glorious "music."

Then if you want more... add your favorite cat-back of your choice.

Current Stable:
'18 Billet Silver Trackhawk
'02 Lingenfelter TT Z06...654rwhp...original owner
'11 Corvette ZR1...632rwhp
'14 Audi SQ5...stock (wife says "no mods")
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:15 AM

If you want the stock exhaust note on steroids go with the borla atak.

If you want a euro small displacement v8 note, do with the corsa.

Its all preference.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:01 AM

I've had the borla atak on my car for 6 months and loved it very much.

more power and the sound, omg.. sounds great..

below is the link for my youtube link recently uploaded.
and yes they are for sale..

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:03 AM

does anyone know if the borla atak will fit the 2014??

have you fitted it to your 20014 or earlier year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode