Modern Performance 426 stroker - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous Discuss engine performance enhancing modifications, superchargers & turbo applications specific to the WK2 SRT8 here.

335Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Modern Muscle 426 stroker

I'm thinking about purchasing a Modern Muscle 426 short block along with their custom cam in this video - it has to lope like this lol

I plan to run this engine na for a while till I can get my twin turbo kit together. I'm thinking twin GTX 3076's for that insta spool

My end goal is 1000 awdhp at the wheels. How often will it see that, not often but it's good to know it's there incase I need it.

Question: has anyone on here had reliability issues with the 426 such as longevity, increase wear due to rod angle and side loading wear on the pistons?

I would love the 426 but not if it won't go at least 60k miles. I do a lot of highway driving to and from work 40min each way. So this engine will see much use.

I come from the Evo world and I know how much fun and off boost response a stroker gives "We love it" but with power it wears prematurely.

If I'm looking at rebuilding or refreshing every 20-30k miles than it's not for me as this will be my daily. I would just do drop in pistons and rods with that cam, spend the extra on the heads.

Please lmk what you guys think, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Boost LI; 09-27-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

I've been seeing a lot of Arrington 426 strokers all over. Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say. So I did some looking around and it seems that they have the most reasonable prices too.

Hmm, I'm thinking of an Arrington 426 stroker with a comp 274 cam. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Boost LI; 09-28-2018 at 01:52 AM.
post #3 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 AM
BJB
"guy with the crazy Jeep"

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,047 Posts
Modern Performance 426 stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost LI View Post
I've been seeing a lot of Arrington 426 strokers all over. Everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say. So I did some looking around and it seems that they have the most reasonable prices too.

Hmm, I'm thinking of an Arrington 426 stroker with a comp 274 cam. What do you guys think?

Arrington is now a local Detroit company. I have heard a lot of good things about their motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Passmg2 and Boost LI like this.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As for tuning there is only really one qualified tuner and he comes from Jersey....

Last edited by BJB; 09-28-2018 at 02:51 PM.

post #4 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost LI View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing a Modern Muscle 426 short block along with their custom cam in this video - it has to lope like this lol

Https://youtu.be/12MsOJiMUT8

I plan to run this engine na for a while till I can get my twin turbo kit together. I'm thinking twin GTX 3076's for that insta spool

My end goal is 1000 awdhp at the wheels. How often will it see that, not often but it's good to know it's there incase I need it.

Question: has anyone on here had reliability issues with the 426 such as longevity, increase wear due to rod angle and side loading wear on the pistons?

I would love the 426 but not if it won't go at least 60k miles. I do a lot of highway driving to and from work 40min each way. So this engine will see much use.

I come from the Evo world and I know how much fun and off boost response a stroker gives "We love it" but with power it wears prematurely.

If I'm looking at rebuilding or refreshing every 20-30k miles than it's not for me as this will be my daily. I would just do drop in pistons and rods with that cam, spend the extra on the heads.

Please lmk what you guys think, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
I have an Arrington 426 with a Whipple running 10 pounds of boost, Iím at 36k miles with no indication of any problems, still really quick.
Boost LI likes this.
post #5 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, from all the the vids on youtube of Arrington 426 strokers doing justice I'm convinced. I can't really find to many for Modern Muscle, so I'm leaning towards the Arrington 426 with comp 274 cam.

Thanks for the replies guys!
post #6 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,029 Posts
I have an old location 392 Arrington motor with 15psi at 50,000 miles and runs like a champ. It did lift a head last year. Thiteks took care of that.
Boost LI likes this.

post #7 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thiteks, nice I came across those in all the reading I've been doing on here. They are on the list!

Thanks again guys, keep the replies rolling, I need to be steered in a good direction!

Edit : There are a few Thitek heads to chose from, which ones would you guys suggest for a twin turbo 426 with comp 274 cam?

Remember, it's not a race or track suv, it's a daily driver that will see many miles.

Last edited by Boost LI; 09-29-2018 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,029 Posts
Ask Craig, he'll make you the 2.2" intake valve bad boys...
post #9 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 AM
LAUNCH

Garage
You need to call a couple engine shops and talk to them. To me, it sounds like you like the number "426." That's not how it works. Most engine combos come out to 419, 422, 424 or somewhere close and they all call them "426" for the nostalgia aspect of it. And if you're goal is 1000hp, then that means a lot of boost. Cubic inches don't matter as much if you're running a lot of boost, piston to rod ratio and piston pin placement and size and material are more important to name a few. Arrington was a great company 10 years ago. They pumped out a lot of awesome engines. When the craftmans truck series got canceled, they lost all their talent. The name is the only thing that remains, a company in Detroit bought them out a year or two ago. Don't expect a new Arrington engine to be the same as the ones you see a lot of the old school guys running. Also realize, an engine made for boost will not run as hard naturally aspirated as one that was made to be n/a in the first place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivoidwarranties For This Useful Post:
SPEEDDEMON (10-03-2018), viking757 (09-29-2018)
post #10 of 300 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties View Post
You need to call a couple engine shops and talk to them. To me, it sounds like you like the number "426." That's not how it works. Most engine combos come out to 419, 422, 424 or somewhere close and they all call them "426" for the nostalgia aspect of it. And if you're goal is 1000hp, then that means a lot of boost. Cubic inches don't matter as much if you're running a lot of boost, piston to rod ratio and piston pin placement and size and material are more important to name a few. Arrington was a great company 10 years ago. They pumped out a lot of awesome engines. When the craftmans truck series got canceled, they lost all their talent. The name is the only thing that remains, a company in Detroit bought them out a year or two ago. Don't expect a new Arrington engine to be the same as the ones you see a lot of the old school guys running. Also realize, an engine made for boost will not run as hard naturally aspirated as one that was made to be n/a in the first place.
I understand where your coming from, but as far as being stuck on a number, that's not really accurate. I'm just going by the advertised numbers available to me. 392, 405, 411, 422, 426, and 440. I would never think of calling a shop about a 419 that's not even listed.

On everything else your a million percent accurate, if I plan to run 1000hp worth of psi, I should take rod angle, wrist pin size and location, ring land style and location, piston side loading and how much meat the block loses when being bored and notched out for a stroker. Also the bigger I go on cubic inches the weaker the block gets through removal of material. Which all works against longevity. I also have to worry about vibration and harmonics which I would need to run a good dampner to try to counter, like ATI.

I wanted a stroker for the increase torque effect, but if I can keep the engine structurally sound by sticking with the factory specs and just running more boost then that does seem to be the best coarse of action, I would just need to worry about head gaskets, but I bet the Thiteks would would help there.

I will give Modern Muscle a call Monday as it's not easy to converse with them through email "I tried" and see if I can get an invoice for the drop in pistons and rod sets they sell along with the cam they use in the vid I posted.

They seem to be pretty secretive over that cam lol

From there I will make my final decision, might also be the cheaper way to go as well.

Thanks for your very informative reply, it is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode