2015 SRT Rear Brake Squeal - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

2015 SRT Rear Brake Squeal

Hi All,

Before I go any further, let me say that I researched the hell out of this issue but did not find specific answers so i'm hoping to put a different spin on a common issue.

I know about the TSB and rotor/pad combos to some degree. However let me explain...

About 5000km ago I replaced my front pads with Wagner Thermo Quiets. Front brake squeal has completely gone away. Then the rear brakes were squealing. Replaced them with NAPA Premium pads....brake squeal went away....

BUT now the brake squeal in the rear is back and really bad when coming to a stop. I have already taken the pads out and completely cleaned all components and re-applied a synthetic brake caliper grease to the pins and back of the pads. Noise went away for a whole day and came right back.

My questions are:

- Has anyone tried Wagner Thermo Quiets on the rear?
- Does the CTS-V rear pad solution work for my 2015 SRT?
- Has anyone solved the rear brake squeal issue?

If anyone can chime in i'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 AM

You need to use disc quiet, NOT grease on the back of the pads. Grease is for the moving components, the rtv-like disc quiet is for the back of the pads. It essentially creates a rubber pad when dry, which is what absorbs the vibrations/frequencies that create squeal. Grease will do it for about a day until it heats up and drips /runs off.

So step 1 is if you used grease on the back of the pad, pull it apart, clean the backing area really well with degreaser and then apply the proper disc quiet. I usually put it on and let it setup for a few minutes before putting the pads back in.

On another note did you replace or resurface the rotors as well? Pad slaps have a habit of causing brake pulsations/vibrations and noise as the mating surfaces are not uniform.
AnthonyPuca and rroberto1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Velvet Red SRT....stockish
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have the Wagner Thermo quiets on front and rear for about 5k now and they do not squeal. The went on with new DBA slotted rotors.

You are not supposed to put anything at all on thermo quiets since they have the sound isolator.

Did u bed them in?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
rroberto1 likes this.

2015 Bright White JGC SRT Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's guys!

Noted on the Disc Quiet. I will get that and give it a try. I'm betting that'll really help out if not solve the issue. I will grease the pins only.

I'm also glad to hear the Wagner TQ's on both front and rear. I ended up ordering the TQ's for the rear last night.

I did bed the pads properly yes. Using stock rotors and I did not get them turned.

I will do the following and report back:

- Apply Disc Quiet after fully cleaning the rear pads

If that doesn't work i'll try out the Wagner TQ's on the rear.

Thank you again guys.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Following up on putting the disc Brake Quiet on.

- I pulled the rear pads and cleaned them very thoroughly with brake cleaner.
- I applied 4 coats of Disc Brake Quiet (blue spray) - 10 minute flash time in between each coat

Initially for the first day there was no noise at all. Today we were out in the jeep most of the day and the noise came back.

My Wagner TQ's will be here in 2 days so i'll be installing those and will first try without any Disc Brake Quiet on the back since they are not supposed to have anything put on them. I'll grease the pins and see what happens.

Will report back.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:40 PM

I bought new pins and springs for the caliper because I'm having the same problem. Garage put on new Brembo pads and rotors in the back. Squeal started intemmitenly when stopping, below 20 mph. Never did this before the new brakes. No real rhyme or reason that I can tell. At one point, went on a road trip for three days, no problem until I was ten minutes from home. Clean, dirty, doesn't matter. I took it back to the garage three times, still squealing intermmitenly.

I bought DBA rotors and Hawk pads, exact same problem. Seems like when it does squeal, its on the left side. I figure i'll try new pins and springs. We'll see.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

**Update**

So I installed new hardware and the new Wagner TQ's on the rear. 2 days into it and the brake squeal is completely gone.

I'll be back to update this thread again once i've gotten a bit more seat time with the new pads just incase it comes back for whatever reason.
GoPlzGo and AnthonyPuca like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM

TQ front and back on a 15 11k miles of silence NO spray in CRC Brake quiet as directions say. But it was so hard to follow instructions as i use it on all my brake jobs and have for decades.
rroberto1 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline R/T View Post
TQ front and back on a 15 11k miles of silence NO spray in CRC Brake quiet as directions say. But it was so hard to follow instructions as i use it on all my brake jobs and have for decades.
This is great to hear! It was hard for me also not to put anything on the back. Seems too good to be true! So far though, i'm very impressed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:58 AM

TQs are appropriately named and are the goto pad for tough squeal issues for a good reason. You're seeing why. THe combination of their anti-vibes rear backing and brake material combo makes a pad that is virtually quiet under any condition. I've never had a set squeak, and the performance isn't that bad to boot. They do tend to fade under heavy heat, but otherwise they are a solid general use pad. Initial bite kinda sucks compared to most performance pads, but dust levels aren't too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in