Join Date: Apr 2019
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Throttle issue or possibly transmission issue - hesitation - no codes??
This is my very first post on this forum; my apologies.
I bought a 2012 SRT-8 about a year ago and so far, the car has been great. The car has a K&N intake and a borla cat-back exhaust.
During the past 2-3 months, I have encountered a very weird symptom and I can't seem to determine what is causing it.
1. On a regular base, the car seems to hesitate on any gear but 1st gear...it is a slight hesitation, that I thought it would be related to a TPS of some sort. There is no code associated with it. If I seem to press the gas pedal more, the car downshifts and the hesitation seems to go away.
2. If the car is on MANUAL mode, the hesitation seems to happen less often and more likely to do it on higher gears.
3. Every so often (once per week or so), the throttle will go completely dead for about 4-6 seconds...then will come back like nothing happened.
4. Once in a while, if I am on MANUAL MODE, and if driving below 3,000 rpms, when trying to UPSHIFT, sometimes from 4th to 5th, hitting the UPSHIFT paddle, the car will go into 3rd. Yes...lol. I thought I probably made a mistake, but this has happened more than once and have been able to recreate the issue a few times. Am I driving the car like a pansy and instead of upshifting, the transmission thinks I should be downshifting? LOL. Serious, I am scare of trying this at 5,000 or 5,500 rpms and the thing going into 3rd instead of 5th. How weird is this?
5. MANUAL mode shifts considerably harder than in auto - upshifts or downshifts, are just plain hard. Harder than my built GT-R transmission - feels overkill for a 5speed auto - and if put on sport of race mode, they shift even harder - makes me feel bad for the poor car. Lol.
The shop I took it to, is also puzzled about it. The car was due for new spark plugs so those were replaced at the same time as the oil change. The problem continued.
They thought it could be some sort of sensor associated with throttle so they replaced the throttle body, which solved nothing - so they took it out and installed the old one.
The next suggestion they had was a transmission plate of some sort, which as a bunch of sensors.They felt that could fix the problem, however, the fact that the car is not throwing any codes is puzzling. This plate they refer to, is about US$ 1,000 and it will be about $ 300 worth of labor to replace it.
I don't want to keep throwing parts at the car in "hopes" one of them resolves it. I don't know if anyone has had any similar issues.
This weekend, I am going to stop by the dealership and see if there are any updates to the transmission software and see if that may help.
I am totally puzzled - love the SUV and this is my daily driver, but this annoyance is getting old.
Any help or feedback is appreciated - thanks!!
Last edited by Angel Morales; 04-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.