About to pull the trigger on an SRT Cherokee - ...should I spring for the trackhawk? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

About to pull the trigger on an SRT Cherokee - ...should I spring for the trackhawk?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and figured I'd ask -

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an SRT Cherokee. But I'm heavily debating on if I should just wait and grab a Trackhawk. I don't want to be disappointed with the power on the SRT (no offense to anyone, that's my legitimate question, how is the power?)

I came from a Challenger Hellcat and then I moved into a 2006 Viper. I need more room for the family and something a little more practical, so the SRT Cherokee came to mind. Unfortunately the dealer for the one I want is about 8 hours away, so I don't have an opportunity to go test drive anything first and see for myself.

I know it's probably a personal question as far as satisfaction is concerned, but I'm wondering if at the end of the day I'm going to be disappointed with the power of the SRT and wish I had sprung the extra for the Trackhawk. You guys are all owners here, so I wanted to ask your opinions. As far as I understand, since you're so high up in the vehicle, it feels even faster than it actually is, as well, so perhaps I would be just as smiley with the SRT model.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

And of course the standard response might be "if you can afford to spring for the trackhawk, go for that." I "kinda" can... I just don't really know if it's worth justifying the extra $300-$400 per month on the payment.

Last edited by srtfrank; 05-04-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 PM

You can't go wrong either way. Is the SRT slow? Compared to your Viper? Yes but no, not hardly - 1/4 mile in the 13 flat @ 105mph range isn't slow. I had a 2015 SRT, put about 45k miles on it, and loved every second of it. Drove it across the country and never once said "darn I wish this thing had more power". Like you, I also am used to driving fast cars (and sportbikes) but even my friend with an '09 ACR loved driving my SRT.

My new TH is a lot of fun, stupidly fast, but is it worth the extra dough? I honestly don't think so. I basically paid money to get the exact same vehicle with more power (that I can very rarely use in traffic) and worse mpg. Ideally, you could test drive them both.

Did I mention that I loved my SRT?? The 6.4/8sp combo is absolutely fantastic in the Jeep.
Michelangelo likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Major Contributing Member

I guess it all depends... I own an SRT and love it but... I live in Los Angeles and rarely ever get to open it up due to traffic, congestion, and the lack of open roads. So far, my stock tires have outlasted my brakes! Brakes were done at 17000 miles and my tires still have 5000-10000 on them. The SRT is hard to beat from stoplight to stoplight though.

But every time I hit the open road, I always think, ďA little more power wouldnít hurt!Ē Itís kind of like owning a gun, itís better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

But in the end it all comes down to $. Aside from the cost of the car, youíll also need to factor in the cost of maintenance. The brakes for my SRT was over 2k for front and rear pads and 2 piece rotors. And thatís not to mention the rising cost of gas!

If you can afford the Trackhawk, get it. But the SRT should be just fine.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 PM

About to pull the trigger on an SRT Cherokee - ...should I spring for the trackhawk?

Srt is fine for most

The fact you had a hellcat and viper tells me youíll wish you spent the extra money. Itís the equivalent of going scatpack vs hellcat. No one would want to go backwards there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gregmanz; 05-04-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributing Member

I would agree with most of what was said above. I've had a few srt jeeps and now have the hellcat jeep. I did wish my srt had more power a for a while and waited until the supercharged ones came down in price, so I pulled the trigger.
It does sound like you have experience with fast cars and I don't think you will be "disappointed" with the srt but the hellcat motor is just that much more awesome. So if you can really afford one, go for it. Maybe you are looking for people to convince you either way, then what you should really do is test drive and judge yourself. These kinds of things are kind of to each their own. I absolutely love mine! About 2 mpg less, a ton more power and way more smiles per miles

Last edited by dirtrcr; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 AM
Senior Contributing Member

I've had both.
Trackhawk is more fun.
There's lots of slightly used ones for sale.
I got a used demo Trackhawk with black leather interior, HK stereo, tow pkg, with 10k miles that the FCA dealership owner drove for 4 months for 74,400

which is only 10k more than list on a new SRT

Last edited by Hemi Cruiser; 05-05-2019 at 01:50 AM.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmanz View Post
Srt is fine for most

The fact you had a hellcat and viper tells me youíll wish you spent the extra money. Itís the equivalent of going scatpack vs hellcat. No one would want to go backwards there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I was thinking. I test drove a challenger scat pack recently and felt a bit disappointed by it. So I was thinking that might be how I feel with the Jeep since I'm used to the power of the other two.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrcr View Post
I would agree with most of what was said above. I've had a few srt jeeps and now have the hellcat jeep. I did wish my srt had more power a for a while and waited until the supercharged ones came down in price, so I pulled the trigger.
It does sound like you have experience with fast cars and I don't think you will be "disappointed" with the srt but the hellcat motor is just that much more awesome. So if you can really afford one, go for it. Maybe you are looking for people to convince you either way, then what you should really do is test drive and judge yourself. These kinds of things are kind of to each their own. I absolutely love mine! About 2 mpg less, a ton more power and way more smiles per miles
Yeah, good point. Probably just need to be patient and wait until there is an SRT and trackhawk available close by that I can test drive and judge for myself.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input, it's much appreciated.

I think I'll wait until I can just test drive both of them.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Once you test drive the TH you will have your answer..and welcome to the site..
dirtrcr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode