Hoping for some feedback from current SRT owners? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Hoping for some feedback from current SRT owners?

Hello, I'm looking for a new near daily driver. My short list is a Durango SRT, Jeep GC SRT, or a Raptor. I live in NE PA and our roads are pretty destroyed and rough, more potholes than flat surface in many areas. I was wondering what the feeling was from some people who have driven an SRT for a while on very poor quality roads? What made you prefer the Jeep over a Durango?

I haven't been able to find a Durango SRT for a test drive, but I was able to get out in a Jeep GC SRT. It seemed really nice but the rear tended to kick pretty hard on sharp bumps, reminded me of a pick-up that needed some weight in the back of the bed. The front seemed to ride nice, firm but not jarring. I thought it cornered really nicely, it seemed to hide it's weight well. Great torque, nice power, nice interior. It seemed odd how harsh the rear seemed, compared to the front. I was wondering afterwards if the dealer possibly had too much air pressure in the back or if that's just how the suspension is set up. Thanks very much for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 11:28 AM

If road quality is the ONLY concern you can't beat the Raptor, plus you'll have ground clearance. CarandDriver has articles on them driving this over Detroit roads. The SRT's are lowered about an inch from stock models and are modified for better handling; the Dodge is longer and heavier than the Jeep and might have a more compliant suspension. The extra length gives you more time to react when the rear comes out. Since you have snow too, I'd say the Raptor is the best option for a lot of reasons. But, I've never found the rear to be harsh compared to the front on my SRT Jeep, it does have a full size spare and the panoramic roof both of which add more weight to the rear so maybe that helps.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehawk View Post
If road quality is the ONLY concern you can't beat the Raptor, plus you'll have ground clearance. CarandDriver has articles on them driving this over Detroit roads. The SRT's are lowered about an inch from stock models and are modified for better handling; the Dodge is longer and heavier than the Jeep and might have a more compliant suspension. The extra length gives you more time to react when the rear comes out. Since you have snow too, I'd say the Raptor is the best option for a lot of reasons. But, I've never found the rear to be harsh compared to the front on my SRT Jeep, it does have a full size spare and the panoramic roof both of which add more weight to the rear so maybe that helps.
Thanks, the ride is some concern, but I want to treat myself to something that is ballsy and fun to drive and handles well. I'm not looking for something to ride like an old Caddy, but I don't want something that has no compliance either. I don't want to pay too much penalty in bad ride quality if I don't have to.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 01:43 PM

As a daily driver, I'd pick the Jeep since it may be more difficult to park the Raptor in tighter parking lots.

As for the Dodge, I actually think it's a pretty good looking vehicle and it's cool they made the SRT version of it, but I don't need a mommy-mobile with a V8

Last edited by viper98912; 03-24-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-24-2019, 07:16 PM

Do you know what mode you had the Jeep SRT in? It gets stiffer as you go from normal to sport to track. Even in normal it's not plush like an old Lincoln but it's tolerable for most everyone. Heck, even Sport is fine.

Also, if the car had the OE runflat tires, it will ride a bit more harshly.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-25-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by champale View Post
Do you know what mode you had the Jeep SRT in? It gets stiffer as you go from normal to sport to track. Even in normal it's not plush like an old Lincoln but it's tolerable for most everyone. Heck, even Sport is fine.

Also, if the car had the OE runflat tires, it will ride a bit more harshly.
It was in normal mode, but I didn't think until I was home to check what tires it had and also if the tires had a normal amount of air pressure in them. I will definitely go look some more.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-25-2019, 09:37 AM

I agree with Coffeehawk completely, if your roads are badly potholed. The reason being the relatively short sidewalls on the two SRT's. The extra sidewall height on the Ford will protect the wheels from impact better.
If you don't want a Jeep SRT specifically, then the pickup will probably meet your needs quite well.

Last edited by tuleman; 03-25-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-28-2019, 07:47 PM

I live in Colorado, and 4 miles in on a dirt road. My Jeep Srt handles the washboards and potholes that I can’t dodge like a champ. Never washes out on the wash boards, and I also own a caddy sts v8 and a 2013 1500. By far the Jeep is my favorite especially on bumps. It’s firm but predictable. The caddy and the truck wash out and get squirrely. Jeep blows right thru. And I can drive about 10mph faster on those sections. Also if you by snow tires for winter it’s a beast in snow! Awesome even braking. I ran nittos snow tire. Hope that helps
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-29-2019, 05:53 AM

I bent a spider monkey wheel on a pothole. Wasn't a big hole either. That's not gonna happen with a Raptor. That being said, they are very different vehicles. The Jeep does fine in reasonable amounts of snow with the right tires. I run Yokohama Parada all seasons in the sticks in Wisconsin and haven't had an issue in 60000 miles with snow. I'll be using dedicated snow tires next year, because why not. But the stock SRT Pirelli run flats ride like CRAP on any surface that isn't smooth. I hate the Pirellis! Switching tires helps but an SRT will never ride like a Raptor (which also has a firm, but not as firm, ride). If you haul a lot of dirty stuff/wood/tools or you hunt etc... obviously the Raptor is better. The Jeep seems a bit more exclusive, I see Raptors 10X more than I see Jeep SRT's. The Jeep's acceleration feels much quicker and it feels much more like a 'tight' sports car like whereas the Raptor is a "pretty fast" pick-up truck that will eat just about any bump out there.
It really comes down to your usage. Weigh your real world usage honestly and your answer should emerge. They are both great vehicles. I'd be happy in either.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Unread 03-29-2019, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The real question... do you need a pick or a SUV? If wheel damage is even remotely a concern then dont even look at low profile wide tire vechicles (or simply take out rim insurance and replace).

Unfortunately you are comparing apples vs oranges.

All Motor......... Just old fashion CI .. Nothing to see here... Just drive by..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in