2016 vs 2017 interior leather differences / options? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cadence
  • 1 Post By Gregtay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

2016 vs 2017 interior leather differences / options?

I am in the market for a 2016 or 2017 SRT and I want the full leather seat option, not the standard seats with the alcantara or microtex or whatever Jeep uses in the centers of the seats. Three questions:

The 2017s I've seen listed for sale mention the Laguna leather package which I understand is full leather seats plus extended leather on the door panels, centre console and maybe other areas. Is this correct? How many more bits of the interior are wrapped/stitched in leather vs a base spec?

Did MY2016 offer a similar full leather package? Was the leather type and coverage the same and in a 2017+ with Laguna or was the Laguna something new and improved that wasn't available before this time? This comment got me wondering... "My 16’ night has the Laguna leather, love the seats and they’re super comfortable but it’s super thin. I’m worried about long term wear for sure. The track hawk I sat in at dealer seemed to have a much thicker and stronger leather."

If I did end up buying a 2016 or 2017 without full leather, would the dashboard still have leather covering + exposed stitching?

I am looking forward to being a WK2 owner soon!
MY4X4 likes this.

Last edited by Cadence; 03-10-2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 AM
Major Contributing Member

No answers to your questions here, but why not pick up an 18? The 18s head unit supports CarPlay and Androids version of it. I really wish my 17 had that feature...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:34 AM

wish my 15 had Apple carplay also, Waze is better on the big screen.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
No answers to your questions here, but why not pick up an 18? The 18s head unit supports CarPlay and Androids version of it. I really wish my 17 had that feature...
This was for my wifes 2016. I already upgraded the uConnect to a 2018 model so she has carplay. I also went ahead and purchased the 2018 seats and swapped them for her 2016 seats. The 2018 are much nicer . So inside it looks like a 2018 but with the 2016 front/rear bumpers
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Same laguna between 16-17. Yes, if you get the standard alcantera seats you still get the leather dash(black) as its a standard option. 90% of the wear on leather happens on the side bolster because people are lazy and slide their butts off the seat when getting out instead of lifting themselves out. Its not that the laguna is a thin or bad leather(its a premium hide), the issue is the bolsters in the SRTs are very pronounced causing the above lazy issue to be exacerbated wear-wise. Show common sense when exiting/entering the vehicle and stay ontop of your leather conditioner and you'll have no issues with the leather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2016 Velvet Red SRT....stockish
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGTR View Post
Same laguna between 16-17. Yes, if you get the standard alcantera seats you still get the leather dash(black) as its a standard option. 90% of the wear on leather happens on the side bolster because people are lazy and slide their butts off the seat when getting out instead of lifting themselves out. Its not that the laguna is a thin or bad leather(its a premium hide), the issue is the bolsters in the SRTs are very pronounced causing the above lazy issue to be exacerbated wear-wise. Show common sense when exiting/entering the vehicle and stay ontop of your leather conditioner and you'll have no issues with the leather.
2017+ JSRT Laguna seats are different from the 2016. Slightly different design and the leather itself is slightly thicker (of just different in a good way.) There was a noticable differance between the two and I am much happier now that we switched them out for the 2018 seats. I started down this path because the seats in my Durango SRT were so much better than my wifes 2016 JSRT and when we looked at a Trackhawk we realized the JSRT now how seats in line with the Durango seats. So I found a brand new set of 2018 JSRT seats (still had the tags hanging from the headrest) and did the swap, super easy to swap them out.
MY4X4 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregtay View Post
2017+ JSRT Laguna seats are different from the 2016. Slightly different design and the leather itself is slightly thicker (of just different in a good way.) There was a noticable differance between the two and I am much happier now that we switched them out for the 2018 seats. I started down this path because the seats in my Durango SRT were so much better than my wifes 2016 JSRT and when we looked at a Trackhawk we realized the JSRT now how seats in line with the Durango seats. So I found a brand new set of 2018 JSRT seats (still had the tags hanging from the headrest) and did the swap, super easy to swap them out.

Means you just swapped the seats with the old ones ?

GC SRT 2015
Facebook: Vila Mali Raj Klek / Croatia
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:02 AM

damn I stand corrected. Just went and climbed in a 2017 and the leather is a little different design. Never noticed it before. Did some digging and looks like the leather is a different p/n but the foam bolsters/padding for the seat bottom and back are the same between years. probably why I never noticed as the over all fit/snugness is the same. So you could also take 16 seats and just swap the leather covers if your 16s ever wore out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in