Anyone know why the Euros have these guards in the wheel well ? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Discussion This section is for the general discussion of the second generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know why the Euros have these guards in the wheel well ?

Was surfing some car sites, went to a popular site that's known for its car spotting. I thought I would check out the Jeeps from Europe. I've noticed one thing, majority have what looks like mud flaps/guard on the rear, but not at the bottom, it's above the wheel/tire. So far i've only seen this on the Euro Jeeps.

These flaps would have been nice for me and many others who have to deal with paint chipping.

Here are some pics. Imgur no longer allows single thread pics.
http://imgur.com/a/aLEQU

Heres the link if you wanna check out more.
http://www.autogespot.ca/en/jeep/spo...spottype=photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:28 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
Looks like a piece of trim out of place

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S axleback, resonator delete, & a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)
'02 Focus SVT (stock...son's first car)

PITTZ said I am special
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 03:35 AM

I'm from Switzerland and have seen them too... but not all (mine also not) have them. They're also not in any brochure or option list.... Don't know why. But they're only on the back wheels as I saw and this wouldn't help anything to protect the door's from spots (maybe the back bumper, but there I've not seen any spots yet).

If there's interest in this, I can ask the local Jeep Dealer here if he know details about them...

Last edited by Halli; 11-29-2015 at 03:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Halli For This Useful Post:
VladSRT (11-29-2015)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Pretty sure in inclement weather because of the width of stock tires and offset we kick up a lot of snow/rain to the vehicle following us. Maybe some country's on the other side of the pond have tighter laws regarding splashing others, just like some states require trucks to have mud flaps. I know because I have done lots and lots of snow driving and have followed my own SRT in my other ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderlust For This Useful Post:
JJMON (11-29-2015)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 AM

Not sure what those guards would accomplish other than a different look. I drive my rig all year, and the only issue for me is the leading edge of the rear wheel flare. A mud guard in the front would help, but it would have to be huge! The only fix I see is custom 3m. But, like what wanderlust said, maybe they're for cutting back on spraying other drivers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

There was a guy who'd created a set of rather attractive set of guards made of rubber of some sort. They looked pretty damn good too, especially when matched to the body colour. I tried to find the thread but couldn't...

A set on the rear of the front wheelwells would definitely save the paint...or vinyl wrap, as in my case. That shit's all beat up.

"Stroked & Blown", "Stroked & Blown".

I've been stroked and blown many times. What does that have to do with my Jeep?

2014 GC SRT Smurf Blue. Borla S, catch can & Eibach rears
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halli View Post
I'm from Switzerland and have seen them too... but not all (mine also not) have them. They're also not in any brochure or option list.... Don't know why. But they're only on the back wheels as I saw and this wouldn't help anything to protect the door's from spots (maybe the back bumper, but there I've not seen any spots yet).

If there's interest in this, I can ask the local Jeep Dealer here if he know details about them...
If its not a bother, that would great thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
There was a guy who'd created a set of rather attractive set of guards made of rubber of some sort. They looked pretty damn good too, especially when matched to the body colour. I tried to find the thread but couldn't...

A set on the rear of the front wheelwells would definitely save the paint...or vinyl wrap, as in my case. That shit's all beat up.
I'm surprised chrylser hasn't come out with there own guards. The painting chipping seems to be a common problem among lot of the GC srt owners. I saw a bmw X5M the other day, few years old and the owner had these giant mud guards, not the best looking, but at least it protects the paint.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladSRT View Post
If its not a bother, that would great thanks.

No problem.. I will ask the dealer and let you know
VladSRT (11-30-2015)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Just got answer from the dealer: these guards are Original Jeep stuff he said and are priced at CHF 135.-- each here in Switzerland.

He not gave me any part number....

Hope this maybe help.
VladSRT (12-02-2015)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
The different countries have different laws for the "safety" equipment they require. Some of them require the wheel well extend beyond the tire. It was a popular and cool thing to do for wk1's. It was super hard for guys to find them and would set guys apart looks wise.

I imagine its the same reasons for the wk2...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode