? for the pet owners re: dog food - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Off-Topic Discussion If you want to talk about something that doesnt fit into any other section on this site, this is the place to do it. Please keep discussion work safe. Thanks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member

Question ? for the pet owners re: dog food

I just switched from regular ole beneful to EVO for my Akita Husky, The reason we switched was because she was bitting her paws , so we thought allergies. Long story short right after the switch Terry got sick , major Diarrhea&Gas. I did the mixing of the food to ease her into it but it didnt help. Im talking major craps to the point she was loosing weight and loosing hair like crazy. ( All i can say is im glad she knows how to bark and pock me when she needs to go.) Fast fwd to the vet visit, after some tests we find out shes got a pancreatic enzyme deficiency, So now we have to mix her meds in with her food, She getting better. The Vet says she will have to be on meds for ever!! I was reading up on dog food and the horror stories about whats in some of them. So to my question, Whats a good dog food ? How did she get sick in the first place, shes been healthy until i switched food. Could it be tainted food ?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM

Pageing DR Steve ,,,,,,,,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" am gonna pick a fight "

DEBADGED AND REBADGED , STILLEN HEADLIGHT COVERS , VOLENT CAI , RAM MEDIC HOOD ,,NEFFY WRAPPED INTERIOR,BLACK OPS CARBON FIBER REAR STEP AND FRONT LIP INSERT , MOPAR REAR SPOILER ,BORLA S CATBACK , EBC DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS , VIPER STRIPES ,PAINTED HEADLIGHTS WITH HALOS AND FOG LIGHTS WITH HALOS FROM DC SPECIAL, GLOSS BLACK USA SPEC WHEELS, LOWERED ,TUNED BY JOHAN ,,,,,,TOTALLY UNIQUE IN UK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Brian, I think i should just PM him.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM

Merrick makes great holistic food. No filler, but a little more expensive. During the dog food scare a while back, it was one of the few that was never recalled. You might give that a shot. But whatever you choose, stick with that brand for life. Dogs have a very sensitive GI tract.

2007 Grand Cherokee
3.0L Mercedes-Benz OM642 Turbo Diesel
Power: [email protected] & 547ft/[email protected]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:19 PM

I recently switched to Orijen http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/ It's a grain free food thats supposed to be as close to a natural diet as possible without going raw. Now if it's that good or I got sold I don't know but my dogs seem to be pretty happy with it and one being a German Shepherd which have food allergies regularly I am very happy with it. He seems to not itch anymore like he did before. And no Diarrhea & Gas problems at all.

It is $70 or $80 a bag though. I might be able to go raw for that price.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

All Good Info, Thanks
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 PM

I feed my dog nutri-pro. She's been on it for a while with no issues.

I'm BAAAAAAAACK....

2015 Billet Silver
past:
2012 300SRT
2009 Jeep SRT
2006 Charger SRT
Too many mods to list for each, so let's just say a lot was done over the years.

Yes, I'm on the 3 year plan...so 2018 better be a hellcat Jeep.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Major Contributing Member

I started my guy on GO, when he was younger but have fed him origen for over 2 years now and feel it is an excellent food. With a 70% protein rating, if I don't run him in a day- he drops mad egg farts tho.

RYAN
2008, SRT1+SRT2, Sat.
22' Giovanna's, 4" Bwoody, and MHP/CMR Tune, and some Visuals.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 PM

I switched all 3 of my dogs to Bil-Jac. Petsmart sells it. It's definitely on the more expensive side, but my dogs LOVE it, and they are SO picky. All of their coats are shiny now. The reason I chose it was because it doesn't have all those harsh ingredients in it like most of them do, and when we talked with the Bil-Jac rep, he showed us that the food does not expand in their stomachs whatsoever, like most dog food brands do. I've been very happy with it, and like I said, my dogs go nuts over it. Just my 2 cents.

Also, regarding your question, I think it just depends on the dog. Like humans, some of us are allergic to certain things, and that certainly occurs in pets as well. I went through a few different types of dog food before I found a good one. You just have to find one your dog is ok with. Unfortunately, it was a REALLY bad situation in your case. Good luck man, I know how you feel. Keep us updated.

2009 Jeep SRT8 Brilliant Black - Sold
2008 Jeep SRT8 Red Rock - Buy Back

2008 Jeep SRT8 Jet Black - Sold

2007 Harley Custom Nightster - THUNDERHEADER™ Exhaust / Power Commander
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM

I had fed both mine the dried Pedigree since they were puppies. Vet was fine with it and said it was a good brand. They were always very healthy. The Husky finally passed on from old age. Then about a year ago my Chow got finicky and didn't want to eat it anymore. Switched to the individual Beneful meals and haven't had a problem since. Hell some of them look good enough to eat myself... I was at the checkout one day and the checker asks what kind of cat do I have.

wink
Attached Thumbnails
beneful.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode