MAP sensor on Maggie - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

MAP sensor on Maggie

A few weeks ago, I had a dead spot as soon as I got into the boost slightly at 5 psi or so. It started out of nowhere and for years has been running fine. The dead spot would only happen when it was NOT WOT and only slightly got into the boost. I tested it again from a dig and there was no dead spot. Tested again from a roll to WOT and ran fine. The dead spot would lose all forward momentum for a fraction of a second and then re-engage. During the dead spot, the AFR jumps to 22 (lean), so it seemed as if all fuel for whatever reason just shuts off. I was forced to drive the Jeep to work for a couple days, so I just never got into the boost and it ran absolutely fine for 120 miles or so. Close to my house, some prick was doing 35 in a 55 and I couldn't handle it and got into the boost a little bit and all of a sudden, the dead spot was gone. These are the problems I hate. I tested this over the next couple of days, and again, NO dead spot. One last time, I tested from about 40 mph to WOT and it accelerated just fine, but as soon as I lifted, the Jeep went into limp mode and gave me a P2173 - Throttle Actuator Control System - showing either a vac leak, TB issue, or MAP sensor is giving errors. After some research, I checked all hoses that looked to be in good shape, but I figured I'd change the MAP sensor as it's easy and a relatively cheap part. The exiting part 05033224AB, 3080, 28.4125-5100.3. Looking at HHP part numbers, this looked to be a 2 bar map sensor. The 3 bar had a tab missing, and had a different part number. The part I ordered from had a part number 05033224AB, 3147, 28.4125-5100.3. After I replaced the MAP sensor, I started the vehicle and it was immediately evident that this was NOT the same MAP sensor rating, as now the engine ran way too rich, then too lean, would die, would rev high when close to dying...not even close to having any throttle response. Seeing as I am thinking that possibly this was the MAP sensor shipped with the original Magnacharger, I sent to Magnuson's site to see if they had a part number, but no dice. Has anyone had a similar experience or has been successful replacing the correct MAP sensor on the Magnacharger? I'm running a 426 forged stroker, SHR trans, Paramount Transfer Case, Fore Fuel system, and the Maggie 2300 of course. Attached are the 2 MAP sensors. The one on the left with the yellow writing is the old sensor, the one on the right is the new one from HHP. Any comments would be appreciated. http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/...pssfl73nxr.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
maps.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,173 Posts
I would lean towards your TB, but I do not know what you are running for a TB to make that determination. I would not rule out the MAP, but that is the correct part# for our application(2bar)

Maggie w/ 2.9 Pulley and 80lb injectors.
Kooks Headers
B&B Exhaust
PWR 224 Cam
Ported Heads
Meth Injection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I'm running an Arrington 85MM TB.

I just swapped out the MAP sensors back and forth. The old MAP will idle the motor just fine. The new MAP sensor won't idle it at all and dies as soon as it's put into gear. Something is different between the 2 sensors.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I know people have had issues in the past with aftermarket TB's on boosted applications. They would go into limp mode in boost, especially with the Arringtons. I would swap over the original TB and give that a shot. I am not sure why the new MAP would do that, since it is identical.

Keep the original MAP and swap TB's.
The Following User Says Thank You to PITTZ For This Useful Post:
Pitster (11-23-2018)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

You should also rule out a vacuum leak, which is possible, but still leaning towards TB.

Last edited by PITTZ; 11-23-2018 at 09:58 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTZ View Post
You should also rule out a vacuum leak, which is possible, but still leaning towards TB.
Swapping back MAPs and will be spraying around hoses in a few to check that. Still bugs me about that the new sensor renders the vehicle not drive-able...should really be zero difference if the MAPs are the same rating.

As far at TB's are concerned, it looks like BBK is really the only option from a quick search.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitster View Post
Swapping back MAPs and will be spraying around hoses in a few to check that. Still bugs me about that the new sensor renders the vehicle not drive-able...should really be zero difference if the MAPs are the same rating.

As far at TB's are concerned, it looks like BBK is really the only option from a quick search.
Do not buy anything other than A2Speed TB for your boosted application. I just ported my snout and currently running a A2Speed 90mm TB with zero issues. Only problem I am having is constant whine
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

I have a stock TB if you need it to test.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
I ran into an issue with my procharger setup going into limp mode once I hit boost (ran great for over a year, then got progressively worse over time). Chased the issue for over a year. Changed MAP sensors, replaced hoses, multiple tune revisions, everything. Nothing worked. Ended up being my TB. I had a Modern Muscle Ported 87mm. I bought an Arrington 87mm to fix the issue and that one did the same thing. Bought an A2Speed 87mm and havn't had a single issue with my limp mode BS since then!

2010 Brilliant Black SRT8: All Black D1 Procharger, Paramount Conqueror Trans, ProTorque 3200 stall, Demon/Fore Fuel System, and some fancy crap.. 10.93 @122
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Can't catch a break with this rig all of a sudden. Effing radiator spring a leak somewhere as I found a little puddle of coolant under the radiator. Pressure tested, squirted with soapy water and damn thing is leaking from the upper passengers side coil. Love it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode