What did I do?! - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK2 SRT8 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your WK2 SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatchad View Post
Do you know how to check your spark plugs? If so, pull the plugs on cyl. #3 and see what they look like? It'll be the second cylinder from the front on the drivers side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes this, I would do it right away. Misfire codes on specific cylinders are not good most of the time. Could just be a bad plug or coil pack. Hope its just something random that caused it.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

What did I do?!

STOP DRIVING THE CAR UNTIL YOU CHECK THE PLUGS ON CYL. 3.......

If the plugs are fine then it may not be as catastrophic. Just so you know why I'm telling you this, my WK1 showed an identical code BECAUSE I blew my motor. And I don't mean I went down on it!

Troy built 2010 Jeep SRT8, Dings Racing forged 392 stroker, boost reference return style fuel system, Mondello heads & manifold, ARH 1 7/8" LT's, Off road midpipe, stock cat back exhaust, ATI 17% OD pulley, Stage 6 2-step, Fluidyne radiator, PP built Nag1, remote transmission cooler, PP Dom. TC., 6,500 PTCM, Wavetrac rear LSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tugboatchad For This Useful Post:
jptaylor2 (02-27-2013), TXSRTMike (02-27-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
the..opinionated youngin'
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to cthcarter
What am I looking for on the plugs?

Supercharged 2012 SRT8 - SOLD
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributing Member

As for the rattling if its your valves then its because you removed the center muffler/resonator the big suit case one it frees up too much flow causing the valve to rattle. Did this on mine when I removed the center one then I went back to stock because I realized after 30 minutes I couldn't stand a loud exhaust anymore.

The H-pipe didn't seem to do much for evening out the flow I would've went with an x-pipe it quite possibly would've fixed it and allowed the flow to be more even and no more rattle (possibly). Right now you have too much flow out of one pipe than the other thus causing the rattle which was what mine was doing also.

Don't just go flushing money down the drain going back to stock, figure out what to put in before the valves to even out the flow, x-pipe? Smaller resonator? Maybe putting the stock suitcase muffler in the center back in and leaving the 2 rear one straight piped.

Last edited by mlarco52; 02-26-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

What did I do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthcarter View Post
What am I looking for on the plugs?
Damage on the electrode, closed gap of the electrode, dings and dents on the electrode. If it was a catastrophic misfire it will tear some piston skirting and possible chunks of cylinder walls off and the debris will be forced into the combustion chamber thus smashing into the spark plug electrodes in that particular cylinder. The chunks most likely will be spit out the exhaust valve. Although mine ended up in the intake manifold. Most likely due to the vacuum of the blower once I let off. I hope this helps and I hope you check that #3 just for safeties sake.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
like tugboat, and others said check the plugs. look for a much larger gap than spec. check the tip of the plug for color, black/white.

also, if the car runs normal and isn't vibrating and shaking like crazy at idle, your computers are doing a good job compensating for the misfire and it's probably NOT a dead miss.
you'll be ok driving it to get it looked at somewhere. i wouldn't be throwing out the word catastrophic just because it's an isolated cylinder misfire.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

What did I do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheldonCooper View Post
like tugboat, and others said check the plugs. look for a much larger gap than spec. check the tip of the plug for color, black/white.

also, if the car runs normal and isn't vibrating and shaking like crazy at idle, your computers are doing a good job compensating for the misfire and it's probably NOT a dead miss.
you'll be ok driving it to get it looked at somewhere. i wouldn't be throwing out the word catastrophic just because it's an isolated cylinder misfire.
When I blew mine I regapped the plugs, threw them back in and it ran well enough that you could not even tell it had been blown. Sadly my bore scope camera showed otherwise. Power didn't even seem down after the ring land let go.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

in all honesty, taking it in to the dealer for a scan would prolly be in your best interest(did i really just say that???) for roughly $100 or less youve got a much better chance of finding out what is ACTUALLY happening with the misfire as oppose to just throwing parts at it. definately not saying let the dealer do the repairs if necessary but they DO have the electronics to see a lot more detail about the issue than you and your trinity do...once youve got the issue identified, then we work on how to get you back to normal as cheaply as possible.

***Charred***
2008 SRT8*Silver*CAI*Flowmaster*180 tstat*Catch Can*Comp Cams 273*8000k HIDs HI/LOW/FOG*all LED interior*Custom audio*ToonaTooned!!! Paramount Trans!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM

What did I do?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaylor2 View Post
in all honesty, taking it in to the dealer for a scan would prolly be in your best interest(did i really just say that???) for roughly $100 or less youve got a much better chance of finding out what is ACTUALLY happening with the misfire as oppose to just throwing parts at it. definately not saying let the dealer do the repairs if necessary but they DO have the electronics to see a lot more detail about the issue than you and your trinity do...once youve got the issue identified, then we work on how to get you back to normal as cheaply as possible.
Agree with jptaylor2, plus you should be able to avoid the diagnostic charge since your vehicle should (assuming have less than 36k on it) still be under warranty.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

What did I do?!

If he has a tune and he blew his engine there goes the warranty, buh-bye. Stay away from the dealer with that thing tuned and showing misfires. Time to pull your big boy pants up and learn how to diagnose what ya broke!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.