Replacing transmission - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Replacing transmission

Hey everyone. Awhile ago i planned on selling the Jeep and have it listed, but i have had mixed emotions about selling it. As my singature says i currently have a procharger setup. Im only running around 5.5 lbs of boost to save the tranny. I am about to purchase a transmission and was wondering about what it takes to replace it. I am pretty confident about my mechanics skills, but i have never replaced a transmission before. My main question is what should i expect when i swap out my stock trans with a built trans. Are there any do's and dont's? any tips to make the process easier? Any specialty tools needed?
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM

Well I just pulled mine out for the same exact reason. I ran my procharger at 7 psi all last year. It is pretty easy if you go online and to autozone's website they have a help section if you sign up. You can print out removal of the NAG1 transmission. It is just a basic step by step with no pics. I unplugged all connectors and pulled the drive shafts. Next I pulled mid pipes first then went after the starter and flex plate bolts. Just keep the bolts in order because some have a different thread. It's not to bad getting it out but I also had a lift. This week the new one goes back in. I'm sure I left some stuff out but that gives you an idea.
Snow Performance Stage 2 Meth Injection, 3" Cutouts w/MagnaFlow Cat-Back
Making room for Demon Performance Turbo Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jmkiesz For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Re: Replacing transmission

Yeah what jeff said, also swapping the transfer case is straight forward also.
The bell housing bolts are a pita on the drivers side, since you have the driveshaft in the way. I suggest pulling the front shaft before getting to the bell housing bolts. Then pull the starter and fish it out of the way. If you have it in the air, have a friend to hold the brakes to keep the shaft from spining when removing the bolts. When you do the rear you can set the E brake as long as it works well let us know how it goes.

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Minnesota Users look here ---->. http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=76233

SRT stands for = Sexy Red Truck

Need Parts? Go Here ---->
The Following User Says Thank You to nubtard For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 AM

Ok cool. Thanks for the advice guys
Old 02-25-2013, 05:59 AM

As for the tools nothing out of the ordinary. Extensions and swivel joints. I think the transfer case is a torx bit not sure in the size somewhere around t-45.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmkiesz For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Premium Reformed Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Replacing transmission

If you are doing it in your ****** I would suggest a low profile transmission jack. I used one on a trans swap in a buddies ****** for his charger and it worked great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Troy built 2010 Jeep SRT8, Dings Racing forged 392 stroker, boost reference return style fuel system, Mondello heads & manifold, ARH 1 7/8" LT's, Off road midpipe, stock cat back exhaust, ATI 17% OD pulley, Stage 6 2-step, Fluidyne radiator, PP built Nag1, remote transmission cooler, PP Dom. TC., 6,500 PTCM, Wavetrac rear LSD.
The Following User Says Thank You to tugboatchad For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Soak the mid pipe bolts at the manifolds with penetrating spray several times before attempting this... I broke one on the driverside and it was a PITA to get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_Toepfer For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM

I used a small trans jack and it worked great the only problem was I had the truck on lift and still had to lay on the ground haha. It would def work great for a ****** job.

I left the transfer case attached till I had the trans out of the truck just one less thing to deal with under the truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmkiesz For This Useful Post:
nick105 (02-25-2013), tugboatchad (02-25-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkiesz View Post
I used a small trans jack and it worked great the only problem was I had the truck on lift and still had to lay on the ground haha. It would def work great for a ****** job.

I left the transfer case attached till I had the trans out of the truck just one less thing to deal with under the truck.
Yeah it would be too much to pull the t case while still in, not sure if the 06's are different but only needed a 13mm to detatch mine.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM

Ill be doing everything in my ******. How high will I need to get the jeep in the air? ****** isn't that high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.