baking 08 projector headlights?? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Lighting Discussion

WK1 Lighting Discussion Use this area for all things related to interior/exterior lighting.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

And if you just remove the amber reflectors there will be an "indent" in the chrome bezels and a rectangular hole where the marker bulb sits. Just an FYI.
Challenger Hood-Flat Black Wheels-Tinted LED Tails/etc-Kicker-Eibach/RM-Bwoody Links-90mm TB-P&P Intake Manifold-ProCharger D1SC-PPP Pro Series Stage 1 Cam-PSI Springs-American Racing Headers-Mopar Exhaust-5" Tips-JerseyBoy CMR Tune-Trinity w/AFR-80lb Injectors-Fore Rails-Wilwoods-SHR Trans-FTI Performance Convertor-ATI Flexplate-Stage6 Dual Pumps-BT CC & Underhood-R1 Cryo'd Rotors

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Dont waist your time and patience IMO. Speaking from experience, I'd consider going aftermarket before attempting to rip open the OEM. Like DC said, it takes A LOT of patience and skill, and if you don't do it right you'll just have to buy new ones anyways. I tried and succeeded on the right headlight when installing my halos, but it looked like a gerbil went crazy on the edges and I was worried about it not sealing properly when putting it back together. The adhesive on 08+ don't really loosen with heat. So I just went with the AM ones and wow they were a piece of cake with a little heat from a heat gun. I wouldn't necessarily use a oven. Mine worked fine with just the heat gun and a flat head. Good luck hope this was helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

-Giggiddy Giggidy, Giggidy Goo-
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaylor2 View Post
325* !?!? Didn't have the sack to crank up the heat that much esp for 15mins. My other lights were a breeze at 220*. I'll have to give it another go.
- 05 Mustang GT - SOLD
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

I've never used 325*........and for the most part, short of the new sealant, it looks like we never even touched them.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Ill try it out, why not. If they dont split no biggie. And not to thread jack but DC, those projector fogs on cmn1 look sick. They accept the H10 bulb?
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Not the aftermarket ones we used on his, no.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Ok so just a little heads up. 12 mins at 350* equals a melted/flattened lens. The projector lens is fine, I mean the entire clear lens is now flat. Not sure if you had yours (jptaylor) flat but thats how I had mine. Not a huge deal to me because these are just a set I have laying around. Just to warn you, I dont want you to ruin yours Darknight.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiFava For This Useful Post:
uuf6969 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Supporting Vendor

350 is waayyy hotter than necessary. I always wondered at what temp things would melt. I would think even 325* would make the housing pretty soft and deform easier when you try to split it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Oh the housing is so soft I can basically push a flat head screwdriver through the plastic as I try to split it. And the adhesive is still semi-solid. I am running the screwdriver around the perimeter and it is flaking apart and making a mess. These lights will NOT split easily.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Point and case. That adhesive is no joke. Save your energy and patience and go AM. SOOOO MUCH EASIER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiFava View Post
Oh the housing is so soft I can basically push a flat head screwdriver through the plastic as I try to split it. And the adhesive is still semi-solid. I am running the screwdriver around the perimeter and it is flaking apart and making a mess. These lights will NOT split easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.