baking 08 projector headlights?? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Lighting Discussion

WK1 Lighting Discussion Use this area for all things related to interior/exterior lighting.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Question baking 08 projector headlights??

Would it be safe?? Idk if maybe something will happen to the projector like it melting or etc?? I want to open them up just to remove the yellow reflectors then put them back together any suggustions or advise on how to do it?

Ported manifold/90mm tb/OBX Headers/ppp stage 2 cam/mopar tcm/paramount 3400/D1 procharger

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,060 Posts
Garage
Search is your friend......http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71917
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood W6A calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Performance Autowerks 4" CAI, CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
If I remember correctly Dan was having problems baking the 08 and up housings. They were too brittle, thats why he was using an aftermarket housing for his at dc customs. Maybe send him a message.

2008 Jeep GCSRT8 Procharger D1 SHR coming soon
R1 rotors and stop techs, reso-delete,
Electric exhaust cuts outs
tuned by datoona!!!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Moderator/ Smart Ass
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,060 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadboy View Post
If I remember correctly Dan was having problems baking the 08 and up housings. They were too brittle, thats why he was using an aftermarket housing for his at dc customs. Maybe send him a message.
It's not the baking, it how people shipped them. They broke in transit.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
oh that's what it was. My mistake
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 AM

I did my headlights from my 07 no problem. I'm trying to do set of 08 projectors and they won't separate at all, just remove what you can from the housing and you will be fine. I believe I read it on an older thread where they changed the adhesive and its basically like RTV. Dan from DC might have been the one informing us but not 100%. So if you bake them and they don't pull apart easily don't force it because they start to crack.
- 05 Mustang GT - SOLD
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Yea i saw that thread but those arnt projectors that's why i asked and ok so sounds like im good to give it a try at baking them
Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM
i dont like you...
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
there are two different kinds of projectors... (not speaking of the cheaper/replica projector versions though....)

to my recollection there were two different batches of glue used to seal projectors... one was clear and one was black...

i cant recall which one was the culprit but there are easier and tougher seals to begin with so the OP is correct about that....

just remove everything you can (wires boot, bulbs etc) and give it a try. remember to start prying in the areas not visible when installed.

gl-

Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...hlight=painted

enjoy!

***Charred***
2008 SRT8*Silver*CAI*Flowmaster*180 tstat*Catch Can*Comp Cams 273*8000k HIDs HI/LOW/FOG*all LED interior*Custom audio*ToonaTooned!!! Paramount Trans!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Supporting Vendor

08+ OEM lights have a good adhesive. We've opened up over 20 sets of them. But they are a piece of cake compared to the 2013 Mustang headlights we opened.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is easy to crack the housing where the projector is secured to it or just tear the housing. I bought some part housings for cheap to rob parts off of from people who failed at opening them. I should take a pic of the lens that still has pieces of the housing stuck to it since the housing tore before the lens released. LOL.

Good luck and may the force be with you, LOL.

I've never seen a 08+ set with clear adhesive so I have no idea if that exists if it is any easier.
Challenger Hood-Flat Black Wheels-Tinted LED Tails/etc-Kicker-Eibach/RM-Bwoody Links-90mm TB-P&P Intake Manifold-ProCharger D1SC-PPP Pro Series Stage 1 Cam-PSI Springs-American Racing Headers-Mopar Exhaust-5" Tips-JerseyBoy CMR Tune-Trinity w/AFR-80lb Injectors-Fore Rails-Wilwoods-SHR Trans-FTI Performance Convertor-ATI Flexplate-Stage6 Dual Pumps-BT CC & Underhood-R1 Cryo'd Rotors

Last edited by DCSpecial; 02-21-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.