Just built and installed my 426... now I have traction problems...... lets talk - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Track Talk Forum > Track Talk

Track Talk Share your track tales and timeslips here. Check out the Cherokee SRT8 Timeslip Database.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonPerformance View Post
Do you have an LSD btw? Most of the guys that responded to this thread have LSD's in the rear...that also helps with the traction issues...right now if you don't then you're peg legged so that doesn't help you much.
Yes it's the stock rear. I understand that it is "peg legged" but the awd setup worked well enough with the cam only setup. What's the most economical way to install a lsd setup that will work well. I realize there are 5000.00 complete rear replacements but was curious about upgrading the stocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,384 Times in 887 Posts
Wavetrac makes a front and rear LSD for these rigs, we sell a ton of them here. The majority of the guys here that are making good power have the rears and a handful of them have the fronts as well. You don't need a complete rear 5k replacement to have an LSD, all you need is the wavetrac and a shim kit with fluids/labor and you're set, they go for $1295+sh and $75 for the shim kit, we sell the combo for $1225 shipped, save you about $175 bucks through us
I wonder if they have Outback Steakhouses in the Outback?

2012-2013 Demon Performance Procharger Kits on sale now!!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Thanked 1,480 Times in 935 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point here.....

It's a traction problem, Not his tranny, valvebody, or TCM

If you want traction you need to do 2 things.......

1) Soft Drag Radials

2) Get power to BOTH rear tires...The 1 wheel peel isn't doing jack shit.

Either a Wavetrac or Bills 8.8 rearend.

On a side note, Depending on where you live, It might be pretty cold out....If it's cold out where you live say goodbye to traction till the weather warms up.

I can roast my tires in 3rd gear in this weather.

You are short shifting because you're spinning so bad and bouncing off the rev-limiter, it shifts into 2nd gear and BOGS....

All you need are the 2 things mentioned above + a warm street and warm tires...You will find traction.

Last edited by 1BAMFR; 01-24-2013 at 02:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1BAMFR For This Useful Post:
Jack_Toepfer (01-24-2013), Knuckles (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Here's an example of getting traction...

Warm weather

Drag Radials

8.8 Rearend

1300 HP...Launching on 5#boost on a 2step and tranny brake

One chirp and gone

If I can get traction so can an NA 426 build

Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Also, Check this thread out...

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42157
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR View Post
Here's an example of getting traction...

Warm weather

Drag Radials

8.8 Rearend

1300 HP...Launching on 5#boost on a 2step and tranny brake

One chirp and gone

If I can get traction so can an NA 426 build

1BAMFR Solo Pass - YouTube
Of course I can set it up to get traction. I was just curious how well the stock setup was working with around 450 rwhp. I build drag setups in the ls world all the time but this is the first awd mopar that I have built and was just wanting to discuss a few things with you guys. And I am the one who was asking about transmission stuff to begin with. Got tired of searching and just wanted an open discuss. Thanks for your input. Nice setup you have there too. I built my engine with 10.3 to 1 compression with thoughts of maybe adding a procharger with around 8 lbs of boost. I certainly will need a ton of drivetrain mods before going that route. This build is meant to be fun with AWESOME street manners and the ability to go high elevens on the track. The older I get the more I tend to gravitate towards "drivablilty, street manners, and reliability" first and performance second. In my opinion, it's an art to build a ride in this way and have it perform well too. If your goal is to go fast and it doesn't matter if it surges, bucks, is loud, rides rough, gets crappy economy, has a rear end that whines etc. it's a lot easier to build it..... just takes cash and research.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadTunes Racing For This Useful Post:
Cotton Picker (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTunes Racing View Post
Of course I can set it up to get traction. I was just curious how well the stock setup was working with around 450 rwhp. I build drag setups in the ls world all the time but this is the first awd mopar that I have built and was just wanting to discuss a few things with you guys. And I am the one who was asking about transmission stuff to begin with. Got tired of searching and just wanted an open discuss. Thanks for your input. Nice setup you have there too. I built my engine with 10.3 to 1 compression with thoughts of maybe adding a procharger with around 8 lbs of boost. I certainly will need a ton of drivetrain mods before going that route. This build is meant to be fun with AWESOME street manners and the ability to go high elevens on the track. The older I get the more I tend to gravitate towards "drivablilty, street manners, and reliability" first and performance second. In my opinion, it's an art to build a ride in this way and have it perform well too. If your goal is to go fast and it doesn't matter if it surges, bucks, is loud, rides rough, gets crappy economy, has a rear end that whines etc. it's a lot easier to build it..... just takes cash and research.
This forum is a great place for tons of info.!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1BAMFR For This Useful Post:
MadTunes Racing (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAMFR View Post
This forum is a great place for tons of info.!
Oh and I would also like to say that if you get down to Northeast Louisiana in your jeep, come take me for a spin. I'd love to see just how civil it is running mid 9s. I have seen that video before btw.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM
DAYUM!!!
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTunes Racing View Post
Oh and I would also like to say that if you get down to Northeast Louisiana in your jeep, come take me for a spin. I'd love to see just how civil it is running mid 9s. I have seen that video before btw.
For sure! Its very civil in street mode......when you set it on kill mode, its a raging beast!

Hahahahhaha
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Lurker
Lifetime Premium Member

If you haven't already, PM BuilderBill from Paramount Performance and tell him what you're looking for. He can adjust the line pressures on his Stage II valve body to reduce the hard downshifts you're trying to avoid. Until you're in a position to purchase an aftermarket transmission, a valve body and TCM from Paramount Performance would take care of most of your immediate needs. A Wavetrac LSD for the rear along with a softer tire compound (i.e., Nitto NT05) will help even more.

Good luck!
BJB (01-24-2013), tugboatchad (01-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.