Window tint warning WK2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 SRT8 Interior/Exterior Visual Modifications

WK2 SRT8 Interior/Exterior Visual Modifications This section is for discussing WK2 interior and exterior visual modifications

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,198 Posts
Window tint warning WK2

Just doing some reading over on LX & came across this about Chrysler using new glass starting in '11. Sounds like only certain films are acceptable for use. If this a repost sorry I didn't ever remember seeing it on here. Going to have to go have the tint that was put on my SuperBee since I had the dealer do it.

ANY ONE thats planing on tinting the windows of their new 2011 chrysler needs to heed this warning!!!!!
The new glass on the chryslers [charger/300/durango/GC/and ram laramie] ARE DUAL LAYER THERMO/IMPACT GLASS.
The pros to this type of glass is to reduce road noise and reduced heat or cold in the cabin area for driver/passingers comfort.
IT's designed the same way as a front windshield = 2 layers of tempered glass with a layer of clear mylar sandwiched between.
THE other up side to this type of glass is security in a crash or if someone trys to break the glass to enter the car-the outer lay or both layers will crack like a windshield but will be held together by the mylar!!

NOW-heres the no no to tinting this type of glass.
#1 JUST LIKE IMPACT-SAFETY-HURRICANE glass for homes and commercial buildings there is a "very fine line" of what tint material that can be applied to it or the result will be over time build up of heat resulting in the glass either cracking OR delamination of the glass were the 2 layers start to pull away from them selfs at the edges and air and humidity will attack the mylar causing it to fog or turn milky white or yellow and in a short period of time will creep between the entire glass layers just like the 30's-50's GM cars glass did in the past in the corners of the glass from poor edge bonding.

SO the way around delaminated or cracked glass from over heat build up is from using a quality window film.
IT CAN NOT BE A POOR QUALITY FILM THAT ABSORB's HEAT LIKE ALL THAT $50-$100 JUNK PLASTIC TINT OUT THERE.

IT is mandatory that its a high quality mylar based window film [either metal-carbon or NANO HYBRID] that rejects the UV and heat unlike the poor quality films that trap heat and WILL over heat the glass breaking it for you from uneven heat transfer and absortion on a 90+ degree summer after noon.

BEWARNED-THE ONLY tint that can be used safely is either
#1 LLUMAR ATR OR CTX CARBON= average price of $200 for ATR or $300 for CTX carbon
#2 Huper optiks NANO carbon [owned by CPFilms-aka llumar] $350
#3 Formula One window films carbon also owned by llumar =$300
#4 3M Crystalline carbon film=$400
THE film installer as be a pro with a heat gun any were around this type of glass while heat forming the film to the shape of the glass.

THIS type of glass has been being used by mercedes on production cars since 2003
SO have lexus/porshe/audi/some fords/lamborghini/GM as standard or special option
IT's becoming commen on MOST ALL new cars-SO the tint job on your new dodge/chrysler can not be tinted by the local fly by night swap shop or corner gas station $59 tint shop.
LAST thing-this glass is expensive as in hundreds of dollars [$300] plus install for just one door glass.
NOT only is dual layer thermo/safety glass used on windshields and now side windows but is also being used on some vehicles rear windows like the MB CLS's and E350's -the caddy CTSV. Cheap tint will build up heat on the glass UNEVENLY and shatter the rear window OR CAUSE THE MYLAR layer to turn milky/foggy.
DUAL layer thermo rear windows with defrost and navi/tps antenna's inbeded in them can cost between $500-$700 or even as high as $2000 PLUS INSTALL if broken by a cheap customer and a dumb tinter with china/columbian film's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Window tint warning WK2

Any list of usable films? What's the cons to not using a compatible film? The Lumar tints on my Jeep seem fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Bottom line don't use cheap tint. They now make 20% house tint so regardless it can be done. Had plenty of windshields done and never had a issue.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
Any list of usable films? What's the cons to not using a compatible film? The Lumar tints on my Jeep seem fine.

Both answers are in the post Zac.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Window tint warning WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
Both answers are in the post Zac.
I guess it doesn't render this post correctly on the mobile app. It stopped after the thumb smiley. I see it now viewing the main website.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Window tint warning WK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 View Post
I guess it doesn't render this post correctly on the mobile app. It stopped after the thumb smiley. I see it now viewing the main website.

Just giving ya a hard time, lol. I just assumed you didn't bother reading the whole thing. Must just be an Apple thing cause I see it all the Android app.

Jim
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
Impact glass on all windows is a great idea.

Good find.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Good advice. Only ever use top quality tint. FWIW, my tinter was bloody impressed when he noticed was the double-glass. "Wow - Only ever seen that on mega $ euro cars"
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I have the Huper Optik Nano-ceramic tint on my Jeep, and all the rest of my vehicles. Its a little pricey, but nice film.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,475 Times in 938 Posts
Good info here Jim, thanks for letting us know this!
I wonder if they have Outback Steakhouses in the Outback?

2012-2014 Demon Performance Procharger Kits on sale now!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.