The.... "I have a dumb WK1 question" thread. - Page 5 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 SRT8 General Discussion

WK1 SRT8 General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
if you havent had an alignment done recently, get one done

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitch80 View Post
how many miles? check your brakes and wheels as well as wheel hub.
53,000 miles. I am due for new rotors. I just got it in September and they told me it just got new brakes. Unfortunately, long story short, my wife and I arrived at the dealership later than planned, about 30 min before closing time. It was also about 3.5 hours away. So it was dark and didn't notice the grooved rotors. So what he meant to say was that they did a pad slap on the old rotors. The tires we definitely new. I got a quote from Steven at R1 Concepts last week on rotors/pads. Potential warped rotor? Just strange that it only happens at exactly 85 :-\

Thanks so much for the help and input guys. I seriously am addicted to this forum. You guys are awesome.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,131 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
1.how much over ambient temp is acceptable for a charge temp when making a high boost pass at the track?

2.what are the possible pitfalls/dangers of a high charge temp?

3. what can one do to avoid high charge temps or at least keep them best controlled?
1. The main issue with air to air intercoolers is heat soak before getting to the line. Mine can be anywhere from 10 to 30* over ambient when getting to the line. During the run, my temps either stay the same or drop about 4-6* once I let off the throttle. Having an inefficient intercooler like BBill used to have and Mike Smith's Blue Bee used to have would say start a run at 80* and end at 180* at the end of the run. BBills would raise 100* in 9 seconds.l with his old setup. Now, it stays the same or drops a few or raises 2-4* depending on the weather. Obviously a hot day it would rise a few clicks. Cooler and cold days it will drop.

2. Dangers and pitfalls would be getting a lot of detonation. Cooler air always makes more power.

3. Best thing you can do is use a quality intercooler core and make sure it will support the HP you're making at nominal flow. My intercooler and Bills intercooler is rated at 1225hp nominal. Meaning its constantly seeing 1225hp and peak will be much higher. Make sure the core has very little pressure drop. You don't want 12psi going in and 9psi coming out. Lol. Also, try keeping the engine off as much as possible in the staging lanes and try to keep air moving through the intercooler. Having an inside fan switch helps. Try to get some sort of air moving through the fins.

Hope that helps Doc.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison@Stage6 View Post
1. The main issue with air to air intercoolers is heat soak before getting to the line. Mine can be anywhere from 10 to 30* over ambient when getting to the line. During the run, my temps either stay the same or drop about 4-6* once I let off the throttle. Having an inefficient intercooler like BBill used to have and Mike Smith's Blue Bee used to have would say start a run at 80* and end at 180* at the end of the run. BBills would raise 100* in 9 seconds.l with his old setup. Now, it stays the same or drops a few or raises 2-4* depending on the weather. Obviously a hot day it would rise a few clicks. Cooler and cold days it will drop.

2. Dangers and pitfalls would be getting a lot of detonation. Cooler air always makes more power.

3. Best thing you can do is use a quality intercooler core and make sure it will support the HP you're making at nominal flow. My intercooler and Bills intercooler is rated at 1225hp nominal. Meaning its constantly seeing 1225hp and peak will be much higher. Make sure the core has very little pressure drop. You don't want 12psi going in and 9psi coming out. Lol. Also, try keeping the engine off as much as possible in the staging lanes and try to keep air moving through the intercooler. Having an inside fan switch helps. Try to get some sort of air moving through the fins.

Hope that helps Doc.

So i guess a $99.00 E-BAY intercooler is def holding me back. I know Dwight and Shrek can install one for me at Darlington in about 1 hour.

Last edited by petersrt8; 01-16-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Maybe you would have already had that 8-second pass lol

Guess the Jeep gods/devils want you to hang around just a little longer

9.67@143.2

The Following User Says Thank You to Untouchable For This Useful Post:
petersrt8 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
What do y'all's IAT's do during a run?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrt8 View Post
So i guess a $99.00 E-BAY intercooler is def holding me back. I know Dwight and Shrek can install one for me at Darlington in about 1 hour.
I wish Pete. There's a bit of cutting to do to fit our "Monster" intercooler in there.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
GOING TWIN SNAIL STATUS
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nyjoed
Harrison can I use one of those monster interoolers for my sc or would it be more of a negative I untill I'm running more boost?? Ill only be running about 7-8 lbs for now.

*FIRST JEEP RUNNING F1-A PROCHARGER W/ WASTEGATE ON STOCK BLOCK*
BROUGHT TO YOU BY DEMON PERFORMANCE AND TRUESTREET PEROFRMACE
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:

On my logged 9.86 pass temp outside was 50. ambient was 68. After 1/2 shift it was 80. By 3/4 shift it was 120ish and almost 130 by 1/4.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:

Never seen mine more than 20* above ambient.

Tuned by JerseyBoy and Terrorizing the Streets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.