Jeep pulled over for windshield tint.. "little" story - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Off-Topic Discussion If you want to talk about something that doesnt fit into any other section on this site, this is the place to do it. Please keep discussion work safe. Thanks.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Major Contributing Member

Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that (i) have a total light transmittance less than that required by subdivisions 1 and 2 of this subsection, (ii) have a reflectance of light exceeding 20 percent, or (iii) produce holographic or prism effects shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation.
J. Where a person is convicted within one year of a second or subsequent violation of this section involving the operation of the same vehicle having a tinted or smoked windshield, the court, in addition to any other penalty, may order the person so convicted to remove such tinted or smoked windshield from the vehicle.

2007 Silver

PERFORMANCE: It's NA. It's Fun. It's Loud as hell

EXTERIOR: Beautiful inside and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Major Contributing Member

^^^^Long story short he was being a D-bag.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,154 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson33 View Post
Wow, that's harsh! That would've been pretty hard for me to keep my cool I think. I know the law here in Illinois is 35% on front side windows, however I've always had 5% on every vehicle I've owned. It's a simple $65 ticket if you get pulled over so I usually always keep it in my glove compartment, give it and drive away without having to sit thru all the bullshit talking and such. I haven't got pulled over in my jeep yet but it's only a matter of time as these things stick out as you all know.
If rear tint is darker than 35% (metered at 30% or lower) then you can only have 50% front (meter at 45% or higher).
Factory tint is generally like 20%
So technically only allowed 50% on something such as ours.

35% only pertains to your vehicle never had tinted windows in the rear and then you can do 35% all around. Also a tint ticket in the city of Chicago is $250 so watch out when traveling there.
Chad (06 Inferno Red GC SRT8) PWR 6.3L, PWR Apache Heads, Stage6 76 mm Turbo, Stage6 Fuel Pump, SHR NAG1-HTCr, PI 2400 TQ Converter, ATI Flex Plate, BC Coil Overs, Wilwood TC6R calipers, Kooks Headers, Mopar exhaust, MM 85mm T-body, Jerseyboy CMR, Bwoody Sway Links, R1 Concepts F Slot & Dimp, R StopTech Pads, Earls Trans Cooler, TLS Rear Fog Harness
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn1 View Post
If rear tint is darker than 35% (metered at 30% or lower) then you can only have 50% front (meter at 45% or higher).

35% only pertains to your vehicle never had tinted windows in the rear and then you can do 35% all around. Also a tint ticket in the city of Chicago is $250 so watch out when traveling there.

To add to this, according to the law they can fine up to $500. Depends on the town. One of my sister's friends in Bloomington got hit for $500.

Second offense in IL is a misdemeanor and they can tow your vehicle if they want. Up to the officer and how well they know the laws.
Just like bumper height and frame height violations on lifted trucks........I generally read up on certain laws in the IL Vehicle Code, LOL
Challenger Hood-Flat Black Wheels-Tinted LED Tails/etc-Kicker-Eibach/RM-Bwoody Links-90mm TB-P&P Intake Manifold-ProCharger D1SC-PPP Pro Series Stage 1 Cam-PSI Springs-American Racing Headers-Mopar Exhaust-5" Tips-JerseyBoy CMR Tune-Trinity w/AFR-80lb Injectors-Fore Rails-Wilwoods-SHR Trans-FTI Performance Convertor-ATI Flexplate-Stage6 Dual Pumps-BT CC & Underhood-R1 WK2Rotors

Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM

That's bs. I just got a ticket few weeks back. 4 actually. Windshield, 5% 2 fronts, blacked out tails and no front plate( which nv law is if you don't have a front plate bracket your not required to have a plate). Pulled me over at night to top it off. I just got my medical tint exempt approved should be in the mail this week so no more tint tickets for me. So just going to fix the tails to dark anyway
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Wow.. Up here in Mass they are bad in some city .. Really depends on the cop i guess .I've always put 5% myself ..Had it on 01 z06 ,03 escalade , 05 SSR , Everything pretty much.. The windshield .. Never .. It looks sick.. But how can you see out of it ??? I could hardly see out my sides at night .. LOL.. And if they give me a hard time when i'm getting a sticker once a year.. I just remove it from the 2 fronts.. And put it back on after.. LOL.. Its $250 fine up here as well .. And a moving violation.. SUCKS!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM

that sucks, I know for "trucks" the back windows (behind the driver) can be whatever you want...you can spray paint them if you feel like it. Not sure what is considered a "truck" though.
2009 Yamaha R1
Past:
2006 Ford F350
2005 SRT4 ACR
2007 Yamaha R6
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Silver & Satin
Lifetime Premium Member

Hate cops like that
Makes me hate cops when I used to want to be one

2007 Silver SRT
Boost Coming 2015

Quad Retrofit-Chrome Delete-Tint-Satin Black 22"s-Toyo Proxes STII-Solo Exhaust-RM 1.7"-Painted Roof Rails-Trinity-9500ix-Pioneer HU-Alpine Door Speakers-Diamond Audio 12"s-Billet Tech Underhood Kit-6K Highs/Lows/Fogs-Billet Tech Door Locks-TLS LED Tails-LED Rear Fogs-Cree 6K Reverse Lights-Billet Tech Catch Can-Dynamat-R1 Drilled Rotors-Stoptech Brake Pads-Tinted Tails
-Johan Tune-Mopar Rear Lip-Colormatched Venom Hood
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Darn Johnny! Sounds like the cop was not being very professional at all. I don't think holding you there and saying it had to come off now sounds right at all. At the end of the day you came away ok though. Knowing how VA police is and knowing your rig it could have been much more of a bad day.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
To add to this, according to the law they can fine up to $500. Depends on the town. One of my sister's friends in Bloomington got hit for $500.
Wow, I went school in Bloomington (ISU) and thankfully I never ran into that cop giving out $500 tickets!

Quote:

Well apparently the cops where I live only go by the 35% rule because that's all I've ever been told since I was able to drive. Good to know tho...thanks!

D1 ProCharger & RRV / Corsa Exhaust / SW Headers / PWR Custom Cam / BT Catch Can / 180 T-Stat / Trinity & Toona Tuned / FR Chrome 22's on 265/315 Vreds / Eibach's / R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors / StopTech Pads / Murdered Quad Retrofit Projectors & Red Demon Eyes / Shorty Antenna / TS Rear Fog Harness /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
legal, tint, windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.