Jeep pulled over for windshield tint.. "little" story - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Off-Topic Discussion If you want to talk about something that doesnt fit into any other section on this site, this is the place to do it. Please keep discussion work safe. Thanks.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Jeep pulled over for windshield tint.. "little" story

So I've had the 40% on the windshield and 5% all around for about 2 years now. Anyways, I was visiting some older friends the other day and one had to go a 1/4mile up the street to follow someone and bring him back. (He is about 60 and used to work at a Jeep dealership) So I let him take my Jeep. On the way back, he is turning back in the dealership I am at and a State Police is behind him with the lights on.
He jumps out of the car, as I also come outside to see what happen, the office wasn't too friendly and saying the guy driving would be getting the tickets (which I know is right but I was trying to let him write me them).

To get to my point, the officer said this and that and on and on was illegal with the VA laws on my Jeep, but was most concerned about my tinted windshield and somewhat the other windows. He told me to go and get a scraper and get to work on the windows; if I wouldn't take the tint off, he would take my license plates and have the Jeep impounded... I don't know much about the laws to that extent, but it sounded fishy to me. I cooperated and pulled the windshield tint off properly with a heat gun, soap, etc.... came right off.

While I was doing that, the officer and my friend who was driver were in the officers car, (I guess writing him tickets) until the officer got a phone call of a bad wreck up the street. He told my friend that if this Jeeps leaves the parking lot and nothing is fixed that he asked, he would have cops waiting for me. Anyways, an hour later, I drove another car up the street to get lunch and what do you know, 3 cops to the right sitting, 2 sitting on the 95 on ramp and 2 more up the street on the 295 on ramp.... I said to myself, DAMN! But in all, I just removed my windshield tint and no one got a ticket.

What I was really getting out of this is what is right in the situation and what should I have done or not done? I, of course, felt bad that the guy driving who hasn't got a ticket in 30years was about to get 5+ tickets... Knowing most things on my Jeep aren't legal in this state, I always cooperate but he was a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
1 Man Kungfu Swat Team
Premium Member

Garage
Im not to familiar with VA laws but just sounds like the Cop was on a bad day or just a douche. Just having to pull the tint is no biggums!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Damn. Sounds like the cops wife stopped ****ing him. Lol

Sucks Johnny. Luckily no big deal, easy to pull off.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
All work done at KING MOTORSPORTS

RIP RoKDoG

My Jeep... http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=62004
The Following User Says Thank You to Marylandm3 For This Useful Post:
LASRT (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Wow, that's harsh! That would've been pretty hard for me to keep my cool I think. I know the law here in Illinois is 35% on front side windows, however I've always had 5% on every vehicle I've owned. It's a simple $65 ticket if you get pulled over so I usually always keep it in my glove compartment, give it and drive away without having to sit thru all the bullshit talking and such. I haven't got pulled over in my jeep yet but it's only a matter of time as these things stick out as you all know.

D1 ProCharger & RRV / Corsa Exhaust / SW Headers / PWR Custom Cam / BT Catch Can / 180 T-Stat / Trinity & Toona Tuned / FR Chrome 22's on 265/315 Vreds / Eibach's / R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors / StopTech Pads / Murdered Quad Retrofit Projectors & Red Demon Eyes / Shorty Antenna / TS Rear Fog Harness /
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,198 Posts
That's some BS Johnny, not sure about the law there at all. I think he was probably just being a d!ck & having a bad day. I thought I remember reading you had a RX for the tint though. I guess all in all just pulling it off & the other guy not getting any tickets isn't to bad in the end. Can't believe there were some waiting down the street though, that is kind of weird IMO. So when is it going back on?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Major Contributing Member

Take your license plates and have your Jeep impounded?!?!?!?! Holy cow Johnny what a di*khead. Before I got into the uscg I use to do ride-a-longs twice a week every week for a while bc I was wanting to go into law enforcement and 90% of the guys were cool as hell. But there were definitely a couple who lived up to that A-typical stereotype that would do things like this. Most of them though wouldn't even waste their time with something like that. Either that or like DJ said he was just having a real bad day. I'm suprised the officer took it there right off the bat. That's the kinda of reaction I would have expected from the driver poppin off and gettin verbal. I think you did the only thing you could have done in that situation not knowing about the laws. Good for you for keeping a cool head.

2007 Silver

PERFORMANCE: It's NA. It's Fun. It's Loud as hell

EXTERIOR: Beautiful inside and out.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Garage
I dunno bout VA, but NORMALLY that is supposed to be a fix-it ticket and you have 30 days to do so. Having you do it there on the spot is complete BS. kinda like a broken headlamp etc. They CANNOT keep your jeep there. I'd look more into the VA laws. I got pulled over for window tint here in NM, (once in 10 years). Guy was a d!ck. But he wrote a warning and i went about my way. Never fixed it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM

They can't take away your plates. Period. He was lying and trying to scare you. Did you happen to get the Badge number or his name?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Garage
FYI

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp....2-1052+703871
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,467 Times in 964 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
I have a similar experience in VA with my previous jeep that had a tinted windshield. Cop wrote me up for 4 tickets just because he was a d1ck. Hate to hear it Johnny but you handled it the right way. The law always wins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
legal, tint, windshield

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.