Transmission failure? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Suspension / Driveline Discussion

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
When did you last get your transmission serviced? There might be other issues but everything you describe will happen with improper fluid level, "low" fluid level will mess up shift pressures and can cause free wheeling as you describe and awful gear changes and slipping out of gear...

When we installed my SHR Viking, the shop did not use the proper required amount of fluid with a new convertor and it pretty much behaved exactly like your Jeep on the first test drive. Took it to the dealer, had it properly scanned and checked...they topped it up and no issues after.

Again, Fluid level might not have anything to do with your issues but I would rule it out first if you haven't already before investing big money.

I looked at all the transmission options when I surpassed what the stock unit could handle and found no better deal then the SHR...Skip is the man when it comes to great deals on these!
__________________
PROCHARGED / SHR Transmission / Johan Tuned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to First Jeep For This Useful Post:
Cotton Picker (01-16-2013), DemonPerformance (01-16-2013), MattSRT4 (01-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
On a side note, my stocker with blue tops handled 525-550 whrp with no issues.

It wasn't till I went to higher boost and surpassed these numbers that I needed better internals and a complete built unit.

And if you are looking at the "Arrington Stage 4", Give Bill a call before you pull the trigger on that for sure!

Last edited by First Jeep; 01-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:11 PM
MattSRT4's Avatar
MattSRT4 MattSRT4 is offline
Elite Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Capital City, Alberta
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 726
Thanked 468 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Jeep View Post
When did you last get your transmission serviced? There might be other issues but everything you describe will happen with improper fluid level, "low" fluid level will mess up shift pressures and can cause free wheeling as you describe and awful gear changes and slipping out of gear...

When we installed my SHR Viking, the shop did not use the proper required amount of fluid with a new convertor and it pretty much behaved exactly like your Jeep on the first test drive. Took it to the dealer, had it properly scanned and checked...they topped it up and no issues after.

Again, Fluid level might not have anything to do with your issues but I would rule it out first if you haven't already before investing big money.

I looked at all the transmission options when I surpassed what the stock unit could handle and found no better deal then the SHR...Skip is the man when it comes to great deals on these!
I actually got the transmission service probably back in around June or so.
To be honest the reason that I went to go and have the tranny flush was because of the issues I was having with limp mode on the 3-4 shift.
I guess it's worth looking into. Is it easy to check and top up or is this another trip to the dealer?
I'm pretty certain it's the transmission I mean it's going to have to be replaced anyway and seeing how there's a sale on, one way or another I should probably get an SHR.
I don't think I'm going to touch the stage 4 because it seems to be a pretty inferior transmission when you compare the two I found. The only tranny equal or better than the SHR seems to be Paramount, which I can't afford considering the difference with the group buy price. Lets just say its more than the usual $800+ more to begin with.



Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
__________________
2008 WK1SRT8 - Vortech V3 Si, SHR Viking, FTI TC, ATI Flex, completely stock motor* and a few other goodies.
*Engine overhaul needed.

diablotoona was here...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
MattSRT4's Avatar
MattSRT4 MattSRT4 is offline
Elite Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Capital City, Alberta
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 726
Thanked 468 Times in 404 Posts
[QUOTE=First Jeep;984658]On a side note, my stocker with blue tops handled 525-550 whrp with no issues.

It wasn't till I went to higher boost and surpassed these numbers that I needed better internals and a complete built unit.

How long was the stock tranny in your jeep before you swapped it with your supercharger?
I mean I have over 25,000kms on my set up, I have no idea what my whp numbers would be but I'm sure not near 500 IMO.





Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
The stocker was only in use for about 4 month's and about 12000kms supercharged at 525whrp... Blue tops were added to the stock transmission when I installed the Procharger. The transmission handled the power fine till i jumped to 600whrp.

It was the original transmission that had about 120,000kms on it and it was pretty much maxed out and getting tired. I started having a couple of issues at the same time...convertor and some 3-4th slip... Any upgrade or rebuild at my build stage would have meant a possible issue down the road so I decided to buy the SHR because more mods were in the future...

If you are supercharged on a completely stock transmission without a valebody upgrade or Blue Tops its only a matter of time...especially if you beat on it...

Last edited by First Jeep; 01-17-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM
MattSRT4's Avatar
MattSRT4 MattSRT4 is offline
Elite Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Capital City, Alberta
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 726
Thanked 468 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Jeep View Post
The stocker was only in use for about 4 month's and about 12000kms supercharged at 525whrp... Blue tops were added to the stock transmission when I installed the Procharger. The transmission handled the power fine till 600whrp.

It was the original transmission that had about 120,000kms on it and it was pretty much maxed out and getting tired. I started having a couple of issues at the same time...convertor and some 3-4th slip... Any upgrade or rebuild at my build stage would have meant a possible issue down the road so I decided to buy the SHR because more mods were in the future...

If you are supercharged on a completely stock transmission without a valebody upgrade or Blue Tops its only a matter of time...especially if you beat on it...
Really? I was told that blue tops were harder on the tranny because of the harder grabbing. I guess I was told some false info.

Oh well, I'm going to go with the SHR anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
Not sure if you saw this...http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71080

The Blue tops work just fine with a "stock valvebody", its a performance part Chryslar decided to change for the American market...You'll find bad reviews on these but thats usually from guys who don't give them a chance, and are completely brain washed by all the top dogs here running other "over priced options" that do the same thing...not saying anymore on that topic.

I would not jump at buying a new transmission until you know what is going on with yours...it maybe a simple issue. Not sure what type of shops you have around you so good luck with whatever you decide. If you go with the SHR you will be happy...mine is super tight and i'm happy with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSRT4 View Post
Really? I was told that blue tops were harder on the tranny because of the harder grabbing. I guess I was told some false info.

Oh well, I'm going to go with the SHR anyway.
The SHR comes with Blue Tops installed.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM
MattSRT4's Avatar
MattSRT4 MattSRT4 is offline
Elite Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Capital City, Alberta
Posts: 2,501
Thanks: 726
Thanked 468 Times in 404 Posts
Transmission failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Jeep View Post
Not sure if you saw this...http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71080

The Blue tops work just fine with a "stock valvebody", its a performance part Chryslar decided to change for the American market...You'll find bad reviews on these but thats usually from guys who don't give them a chance, and are completely brain washed by all the top dogs here running other "over priced options" that do the same thing...not saying anymore on that topic.

I would not jump at buying a new transmission until you know what is going on with yours...it maybe a simple issue. Not sure what type of shops you have around you so good luck with whatever you decide. If you go with the SHR you will be happy...mine is super tight and i'm happy with it...
That's not the problem though. Mine had about 86,000kms when the supercharger was indtalled and has about 112,000kms now.
I got the transmission flushed just ghis summer at the dealer by a mechanic that had already rebuilt a nag1 from an srt8 Jeep. He would have addressed a low fluid issue earlier.
I say this because I was having issues before the flush with limp mode on the 3-4 shift and possibly some slippage.
Now I realize you were running in all likeliness a little more power than my Vortech, but I'm certain my transmission is failing now.
I have always been unable to tune it with THE BEST tuners here (Jerseyboy & Johan etc)
Because of it always going into limp mode before AND after the transmission flush.
Got an SHR on standby just waiting until I'm allowed to pay and hoping my stock tranny holds up a few more weeks.
Either way I'll need an SHR for long term life from my daily driven Jeep.

And yes I am aware the Viking comes with blue tops.
Thanks guys


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
First Jeep's Avatar
First Jeep First Jeep is offline
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 809
Thanks: 40
Thanked 158 Times in 96 Posts
You'll really like the new transmission...report back when you get it installed.
I was hoping it was a simple issue for you but it seems you have more going on with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to First Jeep For This Useful Post:
MattSRT4 (01-20-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merged: new member needs help transmission failure!!! ryanpeters32 WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service 44 03-29-2012 05:29 PM
Audio Failure stang99x WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service 2 08-26-2010 05:44 PM
Why the GTR is destined for FAILURE ! Razorecko Other Vehicle Makes & Models Discussion 27 01-23-2009 04:53 PM
HID failure sentipede WK1 SRT8 General Discussion 5 11-26-2007 07:58 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide