Turbo question for the pros - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Turbo question for the pros

Ok guys, im new to this forum, as im search for a srt8 jeep for my wife to drive as her daily driver. She currently drives a vortech supercharged r/t challenger.

My question is in regards to boost levels for gas powered vehicles. Ive driven modded diesels for years with boost pressures in excess of 100 psi all over 50 psi. My question is are the turbos that one would use on a 6.1 hemi similar to the turbos used on diesels? If so how are these turbos in there MAP at only 6 psi?

Are the turbos on gas powered motors heavily gated? Ideally on a diesel boost and drive pressure are 1:1 at wot.

Second question has anyone ever built there own turbo setup on there jeep? Ive built probably a dozen compound turbo kits for diesel pickups and have a big pile of various size turbos laying around.

Any discussion is encouraged.

Thanks Joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Hey there, we actually purchased a srt8 Jeep for my wife as a daily driver about 3 months ago now. And We will be adding a Turbo most likely to it within the next 6 Months. I too also twin turboed my 2010 Camaro SS.

As far as the turbos to put on here, their flow rates will be slightly different then that on a diesel. Due To the fact that we are not trying to spool up to 100psi you want better and quicker spool down low. I have been told that a 76mm Turbo would be best for stock displacement on these Jeeps.

I know majority of the kits on here have been from stage6 or TTC. But I will be tackling This journey by having it created by myself and the shop that sponsors my car. So it looks like we might Be facing the Same journey. Welcome and enjoy!

Demon Performance Turbo kit - made 592whp and 677tq @7.5psi on bone stock exhaust, stock motor, and stock drivetrain
3.31 0-60mph trinity test
STOCK MOTOR/STOCK CAM RECORD-10.66 @ 124mph - 1.49 60ft @ ~12psi

SPECIAL PRICING FOR KITS - CLICK HERE
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

This issue has been discussed as nauseum.
please search old threads for all that you want to and don't want to know about turbos for these jeeps

Good luck with your build

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

9.67@143.2

Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Busy
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,466 Times in 963 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to jps043
I've got a twin turbo jeep for sale just in case you are interested. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Elite Contributing Member

As you know, with compounds the atmospheric turbo is huge and you can use it to supplement the stock turbo which is usually small and only good enough to make 30-40psi on a 5.9L inline 6 revving to about 4k.

Though similar in displacement, our 6.1L will rev higher, much higher. So the MAP will vary depending on lb/min and psi. Reduce the PSI but increase the amount of air needed due to the rpm (not displacement). Location of the turbo will also play a role. The a/r of the turbo will vary depending on location among other things. If you're only looking for 6psi, go Vortech or Procharger or Maggie. The work is already done and there is still room to grow. 76mm is popular, but I'm pretty sure a 72 would be in its comfort zone on a stock motor at low boost. Harry is running a 94mm on a 6.1 but its built up (to put it mildly) and doesn't spool very well, but it makes 1000+ wheel when it does light.

If you have an assortment of turbos, look at their maps online and see if they will work.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,198 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the top ring lands on the OEM pistons are very thin/weak so much over about 10-12lbs is risky in the long run. A few have pushed it farther as long as the tune is prefect.

Jim
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D's SRT's View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is the top ring lands on the OEM pistons are very thin/weak so much over about 10-12lbs is risky in the long run. A few have pushed it farther as long as the tune is prefect.

Jim
last two posts are pretty accurate. the powdery pistons don't last on higher psi's under the best of conditions.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muellge View Post
last two posts are pretty accurate. the powdery pistons don't last on higher psi's under the best of conditions.
I agree 100%. i would even say unless you got perfect tuning and meth injection to help keep the temps down, i would say 10psi would be the max for longevity.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. When I purchased the challenger for my wife i did quite a bit of research on forced induction and most recommended <8 psi to maintain reliability. Granted this is on a 5.7 but it seems even the 6.1 motors in the challengers make considerably less power without forged internals. Are there differences in the jeep 6.1 and the challenger/charger 6.1.

Im leaning towards turbos simply because ive never had a turbo gas vehicle, and i have a supercharged hemi. I also like to tinker and enjoy fabrication, so building a turbo kit might be a fun project.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Elite Contributing Member

The motors are basically identical. Nothing of concern is different between the 2.

I guess I'm not going to try to talk you out of a turbo, just know that the stock block won't handle a tenth of what boost you've been making...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.