"good" alignment? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:41 PM

"good" alignment?

This past October I had some new rubber mounted on the Jeep. I went with Continental DWS 275/315 setup, a very BIG improvement over the OEM Goodyear's.

Just yesterday got the chance to try out the "S" on the tire. We got about 3-4 inches of snow and had some ice. The tires handled great! I never got the chance to try the Goodyear in snow so I cannot compare the two.

My problem is the Jeep is pulling slightly to the right. It has been doing that since day one of the new tires being mounted. I previously didn't have any issue with it pulling right. I went back to get the alignment checked this weekend and double check the wear on the tires.

The tech explained he did notice the pull but with the current alignment being within OEM spec, no adjustments where needed. Below is the alignment they printed out and handed me.

Any advice on the alignment or experience with this tire combo causing similar issues?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
does it pull slightly to the right on flat roads or all the time, no matter the road?

Last edited by DrSheldonCooper; 01-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Your rear thrust is a tad high. Its still within spec ( 0.17) but a good alignment will show within 0.05 of zero pretty easily.

Also, a few of your rear numbers are out or spec. (although this shouldn't affect straight line tracking )
Here is what they "should" be within.

Rear Camber LH -0.75 to -0.25
Rear Camber RH -0.50
Rear Toe should be within 1/8"
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift

Last edited by AROD; 01-01-2013 at 05:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AROD For This Useful Post:
hevy (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheldonCooper View Post
does it pull slightly to the right on flat roads or all the time, no matter the road?
No matter the road, it is a constant pull to the right. Its easy to keep it straight but as soon as I let go of the wheel it starts to track right. The tech also mentioned that the pull could be the tires. That it may eventually go away as they wear

Also, the Goodyear's I took off had severe outside wear on both front tires. With the price of tires for these pigs, I don't want the same thing to happen to the DWS's.

Mileage just went over 40,000 miles, fyi.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 PM

Garage
the pull could be the new tires, but i doubt it.

the goodyear wear is probably because your jeep was toed in way too much. if you want i can help you try to get it to drive straight, by just making a small adjustment with toe. it should work and you would still be within spec. i do think the .18* total toe is a bit on the heavy side as i think .2* is the spec and you may wear the tires.

Last edited by DrSheldonCooper; 01-01-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheldonCooper View Post
the pull could be the new tires, but i doubt it.

the goodyear wear is probably because your jeep was toed in way too much. if you want i can help you try to get it to drive straight, by just making a small adjustment with toe. it should work and you would still be within spec. i do think the .18* total toe is a bit on the heavy side as i think .2* is the spec and you may wear the tires.
How would I go about making adjustments to the toe? When I got the tires mount and balanced, I did buy a one year alignment package. I think the company I bought the alignment from should be doing all the adjustments.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM

Garage
if you ask me, i think those numbers are real iffy.

the camber is the reason the car is pulling to the right. .9* is too negative. it needs to be at .5* to get rid of the pull.

if i was you i'd go back and tell the shop to fix it to drive straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.