Bottoming out? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2006-2010) > WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service

WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Bottoming out?

I bought my 07 used in sept with only 29k miles on it. As far as I can tell it was 100% bone stock. I am in the process of my first road trip in it and I have a question.

Sometimes when I hit the expansion joints on bridges, it sounds like the front suspensions bottoms out and a very loud bang is heard and felt through the cabin. I was thinking this may be the stiff sidewall of the run flats transmitting the bump through the suspension, but the more often it happens I am beginning to think the suspension is bottoming out.

How can I tell if it has the stock or aftermarket springs and anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Btw it is definitely the front and not the exhaust in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Major Contributing Member

Show a side pic of your rig and we can tell you if it has been lowered or not. This should not occur on a stock rig if everything is OK.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Though, a stock truck rides like crap over expansion joints on the runflats, it shouldn't be clunking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM

could be front differential bushing.. I just replaced mine, what a pain...My symptoms were I heard strange noises usually a clunking but on occasion sounded link I bottomed out when a passenger was in the car or going over speed bumps or transitions in the pavement. It did not happen all of the time but was more noticeable with a passenger.

After careful inspection I found the rear differential bushing was torn.

I replaced with a factory part and it was a pain. Not impossible just hard to get too...
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 AM

Thanks all for the reply. I got home late last night from my trip so I will try to get the photo up later today before I head down to Texas to help move a relative.

I am thinking it is just the run flats hard side wall and low profile transmitting the noise. 99% of the time it rides perfectly with no noises, it is just those damn joints where the bridges meet the road. It sounds like I nail a major pot hole when it happens. I worry about jacking up a rim.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Your best bet will be is to get rid of the run flats, they will shred very soon and very dangerous. Plus when you put on any other tire it's like your almost driving a Mercedes lol. I switched to toyo's and it was a night and day difference and a lot less cheaper than the run flats

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2007 Silver Jeep SRT8...that's all you need to know
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Here is the side shot. Sorry it took so long. I am guessing this is stock height.

Since it rides fine nearly all the time I feel confident it is the tire but still worry about bending a rim.

Last edited by Cfm56doc; 01-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks stock height to me.

I bottomed out my 07 a couple times on stock suspension when hitting poorly shaped transitions with around 40K miles on it. It is possible to do, but I only did it a couple of times.
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 01-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Major Contributing Member

That's stock. It is those stiff run flat tires.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM

I drive my vehicles like I stoled them most of the time, and I bottomed out some if you slow down it doesn't happen, just look ahead just like you do for cops and decide the appropriate speed for the road lol
2009 Cobalt SS/tc sedan, muffler delete, ARK shorty antenna...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.