Reliability of srt8 particularly the trans? - Page 2 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Member Assistance / New Member Introductions / Site Problems > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in to tell us a little about yourself and your car.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM

These things are great in inclement weather. While the AWD system isn't as great as some of the newer ones like what's in my harley F150, or what's in newer toyotas & volkswagens..but it's functional in all it's brutish ways. It definitely made me feel confident about the vehicle in some icy/snowy weather we got a few years back, and I'm running Vredestein summer tires. It wasn't excellent, but even on the slick tires it was great as long as i minded my road manners.
Reliability, in my eyes, isn't something I would look to a chrysler/jeep/dodge for, at least not in this day and age. Many people have had great luck with theirs, some have had awful luck with theirs. I'm not sure what to tell you on this, my vehicle is unbelievably reliable now. But this is after having replaced the rear end, driveshaft, trans...pretty much the whole driveline. Mine gave me problems since the very week I bought it(brand new)and after replacing it all, I'm very happy. My previous 06 jeep limited, brand new, blew out the rear end on it aswell. I've not had much luck with the CJD products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestbrah View Post
Needs to be good in the snow...
A 5000 pound brick with 420hp, wide tires, and open diffs is not gonna be "good in the snow".

Quote:
...gas mpg is not a concern but reliability is.
If reliability is a concern, have a look at the consumer reports list of most reliable car manufacturers: http://mashable.com/2012/11/03/consu...s-top-10-cars/

See Jeep / Chrysler anywhere on that list?

Quote:
Parents would rather get me something new but I want something fast
New cars typically have less reliability issues than used cars. And a warranty to boot.

Quote:
I found some lower mileage srt8s in the 20k range.

Gonna be checking this one out 28k miles for 25k seems like a steal to me if everything is mechanically sound.
You get what you pay for: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...2&postcount=10

It comes down to this: Your parents want what's smart. You want what's fast. This truck ain't awful reliable, or cheap to own, or great in the snow. It's none of those things. It's the opposite of practical. Not saying that there's anything wrong with wanting a fast, badass truck. Just don't kid yourself about why it is that you want it.

Last edited by promo718; 12-25-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

I can only imagine what insurance would be like for you. Lets not forget about speeding tickets to account for in budgeting. You would be kidding yourself to think you're not going to get pulled over in a jeep like this.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributing Member

You only live once, go get the Jeep
Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Actually depending on insurance company our rigs are put in the same bracket as regular engined jeeps. I pay the same as my brother with the 5.7 and my mom with the 3.7

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 Black- 3/8/10-3/28/2011
2008 Black-1/23/2012:
Xenons/Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors/Eibachs/Magnaflow 12687s/QTP Electric Cutouts/Arrington CAI/Johan Tune / Swaybar Links / Bridgestone RFT Duelers 275/315
Old 12-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

You have to account for where it will be staying the majority of the time. Rate will be higher since it is staying primarily at a college.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTZ View Post
I can only imagine what insurance would be like for you. Lets not forget about speeding tickets to account for in budgeting. You would be kidding yourself to think you're not going to get pulled over in a jeep like this.
It will be under my parents name so it won't be too expensive. Its possible not to get pulled over my friend owned a Subaru STI and hasn't gotten pulled over for anything besides tinted windows and he speeds a lot but has a radar. I just won't get an "arrest me red" color for the jeep lol so it won't stand out. Still gonna look and test drive might keep the Nissan till I graduate save more money then get an srt8.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklaus View Post
The Jeep is fair in the snow... The Tires are the problem, Goodyear plain sucks... My toyo's were pretty good... It's far better then any STI or EVO I've driven (all without snow tires)
I absolutely disagree, I put many snow miles on both an 08 Srt8 and 04 sti. There is no way in heck the jeep holds a candle to the sti, and I think mainly its because the jeep stays in 2wd until slippage occurs(at least thats what it seemed like).Could be wrong,someone feel free to elaborate (: Honestly the jeep did better with the trac control off but still nothing like the sti, but once again I can't agree more good snow tires make a HUGE difference.

Last edited by goalieman3333; 12-25-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Keep up on maintenance and the Jeep is very reliable stock or with bolt on mods. I had 70,000 miles without issue.

I think the Jeep did well in snow, not the best, but it could handle it. I drove through snowy mountain passes on the stock Goodyears. Just turn traction control off to enable the front.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadboy View Post
Fuel and insurance are killing you on the west coast. It definitely isn't "cheap" to run for sure.
Yup, and I don't even commute with this rig.. I drive a pick up for work the majority of the day When i was in my teens I was paying 4000+ for insurance .. thankfully I've worked that figure down since then !

Quote:
It will be under my parents name so it won't be too expensive. Its possible not to get pulled over my friend owned a Subaru STI and hasn't gotten pulled over for anything besides tinted windows and he speeds a lot but has a radar. I just won't get an "arrest me red" color for the jeep lol so it won't stand out. Still gonna look and test drive might keep the Nissan till I graduate save more money then get an srt8.
Trust me, you will get pulled over. especially in an all black SRT - I drive one on evening and weekends. Lets just say that I would need both hands and feet to count how many times I've been tailed all the way home by police....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieman3333 View Post
I absolutely disagree, I put many snow miles on both an 08 Srt8 and 04 sti. There is no way in heck the jeep holds a candle to the sti, and I think mainly its because the jeep stays in 2wd until slippage occurs(at least thats what it seemed like).Could be wrong,someone feel free to elaborate (: Honestly the jeep did better with the trac control off but still nothing like the sti, but once again I can't agree more good snow tires make a HUGE difference.
Yeah, I Agree - you must not own or driven an STI in the snow.. They put the Jeep to absolute shame. And yes, I own both
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift

Last edited by AROD; 12-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.