Reliability of srt8 particularly the trans? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > Member Assistance / New Member Introductions / Site Problems > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Stop in to tell us a little about yourself and your car.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Reliability of srt8 particularly the trans?

Hi I'm looking at spending around 25k on a srt8 and it would probably be a 2007. I looked into the trailblazer ss but I was told that the transmission was a weak point. I need to drive 100 miles to school and back when I get on break/off of break. Gonna be driving on 30 miles a week or so when I'm on campus. Needs to be good in the snow and gas mpg is not a concern but reliability is. Parents would rather get me something new but I want something fast plus I'm gonna be working so if anything goes hopefully its not serious and I gotta tell them that I won't beat the piss out of it. Was just wondering what the most common problems are. I found some lower mileage srt8s in the 20k range.

Gonna be checking this one out 28k miles for 25k seems like a steal to me if everything is mechanically sound.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
If the maintainence is regular, stock Jeeps are very reliable. Even mildly modified mine has been great. If you find a low mile example with good maintenance records. It should last a long time. If you drive it hard then more frequent fluid changes. The tranny is pretty strong unless you start adding power.

11.79@113
2008 Jeep GCSRT8 Procharger D1 SHR Viking and FTI 3200 stall
R1 rotors and stop techs, reso-delete,
Electric exhaust cuts outs
Demonized and tuned by Datoona!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

You couldn't afford to keep up with the maintenance on these rigs or if it even has a problem. Between gas, oil changes, $50 a quart for your TC fluid, and diff oil. This isn't a rig for a college kid unless your parents are forking the bill for repairs and maintenance.

Get yourself something reliable. Be smart.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTZ View Post
You couldn't afford to keep up with the maintenance on these rigs or if it even has a problem. Between gas, oil changes, $50 a quart for your TC fluid, and diff oil. This isn't a rig for a college kid unless your parents are forking the bill for repairs and maintenance.

Get yourself something reliable. Be smart.

Hmm yes I can have money saved up + internship will pay $10-$12 an hour and my regular job is $9 an hour so I'll have 2 jobs one on campus so I won't have to waste gas and internship is with a buddy of mine so we'll use his little fuel efficient civic to get around. When I use all my money on booze and maintenance it will be enough and if not parents will help. I need an srt8 lol. I'm still undecided but I will look into getting a low mileage srt8 if I do get one and one with an existing warrenty I know a trailblazer ss I looked at had 100k warrenty which is pretty good I just don't like that their trans are weak even in stock form because I found nice ss with 45k miles for only 15k.

I don't really drive a lot so I won't be doing too much maintenance besides standard oil changes and stuff. I drove my current car 2007 Nissan Versa for close to 5 years and have only put 10k miles on it in that time period although I did use parents cars a lot of the time as well. I don't do a lot of driving.

But I will maybe have to settle for something more reliable and then get an srt8 after I graduate but it would be hella nice to have one right now!

Last edited by chestbrah; 12-24-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Post whoring since 2011
Premium Member

Stock they are pretty reliable. Before I went nuts she never saw a garage outside of the regular fluid changes. Like anything else if you keep on top of the maintenance she'll be good to you. The tranny is not an issue stock. I know some guys putting some pretty impressive power to the stock tranny and there's are still holding. If you don't go nuts with mods you'll be just fine. Gas guzzler is a fair statement lol.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributing Member

These things suck in the snow. Unless your willing to fork over approx another 1k for a winter setup, the stock goodyears make the car worthless in the snow.

I dug out my driveway and moved the jeep to the semi-plowed street to get another car out and it got stuck.

2007 Black- 3/8/10-3/28/2011
2008 Black-1/23/2012:
Xenons/Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors/Eibachs/Magnaflow 12687s/QTP Electric Cutouts/Arrington CAI/Johan Tune / Swaybar Links / Bridgestone RFT Duelers 275/315
The Following User Says Thank You to rglax For This Useful Post:
Tim H Calgary (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Major Contributing Member

OP - Here is what I pay just to keep my rig going - I will list my yearly expenses then divide by 12 to show how much you can expect to spend. Keep in mind I live in vancouver BC so pricing may vary slightly on fuel and fluids. - based on driving 12 thousand miles/year.

Fuel - $8,000
Oil/filters - $500
Tires - $500 ( based on a set lasting 2-3 years )
Misc upkeep - $500
Insurance - $2,500
Total - $12,000

Monthly running costs ( baring no mechanical failures ) - ~$1,000.00

Just a good thing to keep in mind.
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AROD View Post
OP - Here is what I pay just to keep my rig going - I will list my yearly expenses then divide by 12 to show how much you can expect to spend. Keep in mind I live in vancouver BC so pricing may vary slightly on fuel and fluids. - based on driving 12 thousand miles/year.

Fuel - $8,000
Oil/filters - $500
Tires - $500 ( based on a set lasting 2-3 years )
Misc upkeep - $500
Insurance - $2,500
Total - $12,000

Monthly running costs ( baring no mechanical failures ) - ~$1,000.00

Just a good thing to keep in mind.
Fuel and insurance are killing you on the west coast. It definitely isn't "cheap" to run for sure.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 AM

Damn, the expense's add up quick!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
The Jeep is fair in the snow... The Tires are the problem, Goodyear plain sucks... My toyo's were pretty good... It's far better then any STI or EVO I've driven (all without snow tires)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.