Seeing more ST knock on stock tune versus diablo tune - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK2 SRT8 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges

WK2 SRT8 Tuning/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges This section is for all WK2 SRT8 specific discussions related to hand held tuners, CMR tuning, Dyno tuning, Data Logging & Gauges.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Seeing more ST knock on stock tune versus diablo tune

Traveled from Long island to Roanoke, VA a couple of days ago; have the Trinity with 93 tune. Normally see no more than 2 degrees of ST knock on the Diablo tune but after getting some gas down here in Roanoke, I noticed the knock go up to around 3 or 4.00.

Started playing around with the fuel settings on the tune to make it richer; didn't help I think it actually made it worse as the knock went upto around 6 at WOT. Then I reflashed back to the stock tune and started watching the knock. It then actually under a WOT 70+ pull the knock went as high as 10.5!! That freaked me out a little bit given it was the stock tune parameters and I was seeing that kind of knock. Could I have gotten bad gas or something? Note I do not have a catch can yet, so maybe after the long trip I could have gotten some oil in the valves?

Another interesting thing is that after seeing what happened on the stock tune I put the 93 tune back on the vehicle but reset the values; so no fuel adjustment, etc. Did a few hard runs where I could and didn't see any ST knock over 1.5 or 2.0. Seems like it was back to normal but just wondering what might have happened or has anyone else seen this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Elite Contributing Member

where abouts in the rpms band did you see the st? Did you let your rig sit for a period of time between tunes? heat from driving around will give you more st. Its possible its the gas but if you saw less st with the diablo tune vs the stock tune with the same gas its not the gas.

PB: 8.05@85.25 1/8 mile
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.V.GCSRT8 View Post
where abouts in the rpms band did you see the st? Did you let your rig sit for a period of time between tunes? heat from driving around will give you more st. Its possible its the gas but if you saw less st with the diablo tune vs the stock tune with the same gas its not the gas.
Quite honestly it happened so fast I wasn't able to notice what rpm I was at. It had shifted down into a lower gear and was climbing rapidly so had to be above 3 or 4,000. I also didn't let it sit between tunes. Maybe the stock tune wasn't completely reset yet after I had played around with the fuel settings on the 93 tune?? I was modifying the 93 tune, started to see the st increase, pulled off into a parking lot, set it back to stock tune then drove off and once I got on the highway after maybe 10 minutes noticed the high st knock happen. Then got it back home and put the 93 tune back on with reset parameters.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Elite Contributing Member

you will probably see more st if you stomp on it while moving and it downshifts than if you start from a stop. All depends on how low of a gear you can get the tranny to downshift to. For example say it goes into 4th and lugs that gear from a low rpm you will see more st.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributing Member

The 93 tune isn't good from what I've heard I had horrible st knk also high numbers on 93 run the 91 cai tune I believe that's what most run before they get a Johan or jerseyboy tune they will clear this up also when was the last time you cleaned mani and TB don't quote me but I think this helps also are you running a catch can I'm on phone don't know if you have one

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by SRTat3U; 12-25-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTat3U View Post
The 93 tune isn't good from what I've heard I had horrible st knk also high numbers on 93 run the 91 cai tune I believe that's what most run before they get a Johan or jerseyboy tune they will clear this up also when was the last time you cleaned mani and TB don't quote me but I think this helps also are you running a catch can I'm on phone don't know if you have one

No, I don't have a catch can yet. That's one if the first things I will be getting when I get back home along with a CAI and Tstat. Have a little over 10,000 miles on it and haven't cleaned the mani or TB. That could be some of the problem since I just came off of a long trip.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dguth View Post
No, I don't have a catch can yet. That's one if the first things I will be getting when I get back home along with a CAI and Tstat. Have a little over 10,000 miles on it and haven't cleaned the mani or TB. That could be some of the problem since I just came off of a long trip.
Scratch Tstat and cai get catch can first it's very important this is why you are getting some knk on heavy throttle Tstat is worthless if you don't have the fan settings change via cmr tune so remember cc>cmr tune >cai + Tstat > revision and your set

Last edited by SRTat3U; 12-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTat3U View Post
Scratch Tstat and cai get catch can first it's very important this is why you are getting some knk on heavy throttle Tstat is worthless if you don't have the fan settings change via cmr tune so remember cc>cmr tune >cai + Tstat > revision and your set

Thanks for feedback! What's best catch can-the billet one?

Still need to make the trip back to Long Island, little over 500 miles. Should I be concerned about any permanent damage to the motor?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dguth View Post
Thanks for feedback! What's best catch can-the billet one?

Still need to make the trip back to Long Island, little over 500 miles. Should I be concerned about any permanent damage to the motor?
No trip should be fine just don't abuse till you get cc and ill pm you site for cc

Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM
GOING TWIN SNAIL STATUS
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nyjoed
If u didnt change anything but the gas ur using then its the gas

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

*FIRST JEEP RUNNING F1-A PROCHARGER W/ WASTEGATE ON STOCK BLOCK*
BROUGHT TO YOU BY DEMON PERFORMANCE AND TRUESTREET PEROFRMACE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.