headunit lock ups - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Discussion (2012+) > WK2 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics

WK2 Audio/Video/Nav/UConnect/Electronics This section is to discuss all topics related to audio, video, UConnect, navigation & electronics.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM

headunit lock ups

a couple of times recently mu headunit has locked up and the only remedy is to shut the jeep down for a few minutes. usually the sound is just muted while all other functionality appears to work (change audio source, stations, etc). today upon hanging up a call the screen was frozen on the end call page. nothing would clear it accept shutting down jeep and letting the power cut off (which took a few minutes). i was hesitant to walk away fearing it may just keep drawing power.

anyway, does anyone know if there are any updates or tsb's that address this? anyone having lock up issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Not sure.. But I use my I phone to stream music to the radio and sometimes I have to push the power on the head unit and turn it back on for it to play sound..
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Mine has done this twice to me. It seemed to happen when my phone was connected Bluetooth and streaming audio and then I switch the source. After changing the source is when it locked up. Everything worked just no sound. The fix was to shut the Jeep down and let the radio fully boot up, showing the Jeep logo on the nav screen. While driving and pressing the power button the radio just goes in a standby mode.

Unless it happens more often I haven't been too concerned yet. Just a minor annoyance. One time it happened when I was on a long haul highway trip. I dislike stopping for no reason. I had to find an exit to pull off and shut the Jeep down for a few minutes. No way in hell I was going to drive countless hours without tunes.

Check here for latest TSB: I don't think there is one for the Nav unit in the SRT8
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

Last edited by Mongoose9400; 12-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 AM

Garage
This has happened a few times over the last month, where the sound goes out whether on the radio or using the nav routing. Service dept said they did an update, but on the way home the sound went out while listening to music. I pulled over, turned off/on again, but still didnt kick the sound back on again until i left it parked for a few hours and came back to it and it worked. Driving in dead silence sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM

thanks guys. seems i'm not alone in this. and yes, it's funny how it seems to die specifically when i have a hour or more drive ahead of me. so i can either drive in silence or pull over, shut down, and go get coffee and pray it comes back on.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lifetime Premium Member

mine seems to do it only when its freezing cold out in the morning and im just turning it on.
2007 Silver GCSRT8 / motorless again / Inertia Port and Polish Intake / Kooks LT Headers / Arrington 85mm TB / 4" Bwoody CAI / Magnaflow Catback / Bwoody Endlinks / Rear Addco / Eibach Pro Kit / QA1's / Jet 180 / Paramount Trans / ATI Flexplate / Dominator TC / R1 D|S Rotors + Hawk pads / Nitto 420s / Zex 100 N20 / LED Interior / HID Lows and Fogs / Tuned by Diablotoona

YOU TUBE : http://www.youtube.com/user/gtg7374?feature=mhee

PB: 11.72@114.88 with old motor
Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

I guess another solution would just be to pull the fuse for the radio. The radio just needs to fully boot/power on with the Jeep logo to reset when it happens. But, usually just a couple minutes with the Jeep off works too.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM

When mine had this happen all I did was power the radio off by pressing the volume button and sound was restored. Havent had it completly freeze up yet
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM

Mine keeps doing it too guys. WTF seriously.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 PM
The Traveler
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012SRT-8 View Post
Mine keeps doing it too guys. WTF seriously.
If yours has constant issues I'd have warranty fix it. It's possible the head unit, or amp is having issues. In my case its only been twice in 20k miles of driving, so I'm not concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.